Sponsored

Got My Lethal Performance LPX-HD clutch and flywheel installed today

fuelforfire87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Just wanted to give my first impressions of the Lethal Performance LPX-HD clutch. I had to replace my previous McCleod RST clutch and flywheel after it slipping after only 1k miles (and yes I did break it in for the recommended 600 miles). I know the LPX clutch line is made by McCleod but the kevlar discs as well as being half the price of a Mantic is what attracted me to them. When driving home from the shop today it felt pretty similar other than there is definitely a heavier pedal feel (at least with the HD model). Almost wished I went with the regular LPX as I would imagine it would feel just like the RST. Car is not a daily so its not a huge issue. Makes sense as Lethal said the HD versions have a stronger pressure plate for the inrcreased HP rating. Not a whole lot else to say other than I hope I don't have the same issues I had with the RST. My car is NA FBO so this clutch is overkill but I eventually plan on boosting it.
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Is the LPX-HD comparable to the Mcleod RXT. If so, I hear the RXT will break transmissions. Does the LPX-HD feel like it is too harsh on the transmission?

OP
OP
fuelforfire87

fuelforfire87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
That was the whole point of lethal creating the LPX line. The kevlar material is supposed to hold up to spirited driving and drag racing better than the organic RST, while not being as harsh as the RXT with its ceramic material.

Dark Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ramsey
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Ben calimer has talked about the rxt breaking transmissions, but he reccomeneded the lpx line to me the other day, so I suppose they aren't as hard on the trans as the rxt is. I'm really interested in this clutch. I'd like to hear some detailed feedback on it if you don't mind. Clutch engagement Point, progressiveness of the clutch engagement through the stroke, etc. I I have a spec twin disk right now, and while not bad, I'm not sure it's right for me. Maybe there are still a few things I need to try to work out with it before I try something new.

OP
OP
fuelforfire87

fuelforfire87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Ben calimer has talked about the rxt breaking transmissions, but he reccomeneded the lpx line to me the other day, so I suppose they aren't as hard on the trans as the rxt is. I'm really interested in this clutch. I'd like to hear some detailed feedback on it if you don't mind. Clutch engagement Point, progressiveness of the clutch engagement through the stroke, etc. I I have a spec twin disk right now, and while not bad, I'm not sure it's right for me. Maybe there are still a few things I need to try to work out with it before I try something new.
I can't give too much helpful information since this is my first manual car. I really only have experience with the stock clutch, The RST downgrade, and then this clutch. My installer said he was not surprised that the RST slipped and that he has seen hit or miss quality-wise with McLeod products. He actually prefers Spec and Mantic since they use billet pressure plates. I couldn't stomach spending 2 grand on a Mantic so that's why I decided to compromise with this clutch. Not sure if you've ever drove the RST or RXT before but it is pretty similiar (Since the LPX line is made by McLeod). The clutch engages towards the end of the pedal travel and I noticed the pedal is heavier than the RST with the HD version of the clutch, but I am getting used to it. At about the halfway point of travel is where the clutch starts to grab and at about 3/4 or so of the travel it is grabbing. What don't you like about your Spec clutch if you don't mind me asking.

Sponsored

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Just wanted to give my first impressions of the Lethal Performance LPX-HD clutch. I had to replace my previous McCleod RST clutch and flywheel after it slipping after only 1k miles (and yes I did break it in for the recommended 600 miles). I know the LPX clutch line is made by McCleod but the kevlar discs as well as being half the price of a Mantic is what attracted me to them. When driving home from the shop today it felt pretty similar other than there is definitely a heavier pedal feel (at least with the HD model). Almost wished I went with the regular LPX as I would imagine it would feel just like the RST. Car is not a daily so its not a huge issue. Makes sense as Lethal said the HD versions have a stronger pressure plate for the inrcreased HP rating. Not a whole lot else to say other than I hope I don't have the same issues I had with the RST. My car is NA FBO so this clutch is overkill but I eventually plan on boosting it.
That LPXHD is rated for 1000hp so it will have a bit stiffer pedal feel vs the LPX which is rated for 800. Both are great clutches and we sell a ton of them. The kevlar discs were used because they don't cause a lot of wear or tear on a MT82 transmission but still have amazing clamping power. If you have any questions please give us a call here at www.lethalperformance.com. 1.561.753.8105

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
@Andrew@Lethal, would you recommend the LPXHD for a car making 469 rwhp/439 rwtq on E85 and 639 rwhp/602 rwtq on nitrous that will be primarily driven on the street and raced occasionally at the strip? My math says that would roughly equate to about 709 hp at the crank. With that being said, it doesn’t leave much of a cushion with the LPX. I would rather have more than enough to hold up to some nitrous launches out of the hole on ET Street R Bias Ply tires. How stiff is the pedal feel on this clutch with the Steeda spring? Not quite ready for a clutch yet, but I’m sure it won’t be long once I start making hits at the drag strip. Thanks

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
@Andrew@Lethal, would you recommend the LPXHD for a car making 469 rwhp/439 rwtq on E85 and 639 rwhp/602 rwtq on nitrous that will be primarily driven on the street and raced occasionally at the strip? My math says that would roughly equate to about 709 hp at the crank. With that being said, it doesn’t leave much of a cushion with the LPX. I would rather have more than enough to hold up to some nitrous launches out of the hole on ET Street R Bias Ply tires. How stiff is the pedal feel on this clutch with the Steeda spring? Not quite ready for a clutch yet, but I’m sure it won’t be long once I start making hits at the drag strip. Thanks
I would go with the LPX if I were you for that application.

Dark Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ramsey
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I can't give too much helpful information since this is my first manual car. I really only have experience with the stock clutch, The RST downgrade, and then this clutch. My installer said he was not surprised that the RST slipped and that he has seen hit or miss quality-wise with McLeod products. He actually prefers Spec and Mantic since they use billet pressure plates. I couldn't stomach spending 2 grand on a Mantic so that's why I decided to compromise with this clutch. Not sure if you've ever drove the RST or RXT before but it is pretty similiar (Since the LPX line is made by McLeod). The clutch engages towards the end of the pedal travel and I noticed the pedal is heavier than the RST with the HD version of the clutch, but I am getting used to it. At about the halfway point of travel is where the clutch starts to grab and at about 3/4 or so of the travel it is grabbing. What don't you like about your Spec clutch if you don't mind me asking.
Well, there are a couple things that I have a bit of an issue with, but I'm gonna reserve talking about it because I want to make sure it's not an issue with something else first. However, one thing that i will talk about is the engagement. There is not a lot of "progressiveness" to the pedal. That, combined with the fact that it doesn't engage until the very last 1/4" of the pedal travel at the top makes it bit of a pain to drive. I've learned how to drive with it, however it takes more effort to take off from a light smoothly. I can't do it quickly either, it's a slower process to get it right. I feel like it was made to just be dumped.

That LPXHD is rated for 1000hp so it will have a bit stiffer pedal feel vs the LPX which is rated for 800. Both are great clutches and we sell a ton of them. The kevlar discs were used because they don't cause a lot of wear or tear on a MT82 transmission but still have amazing clamping power. If you have any questions please give us a call here at www.lethalperformance.com. 1.561.753.8105
How is the pedal feel? Is it more progressive or is it more on/off? Is it typical for the clutch to start grabbing at the halfway point with it really starting to bite down at 3/4ths of the way like the OP says, or is it different? How slipable is the clutch? Any additional info would be nice. I just ordered a new TOB from you guys to see if that fixes my issues with my current clutch, but I am not sure it will, and even if it does, I'm not sure I want to keep the clutch anyway so I'm looking for a replacement and this one is one I'm taking a good look at.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I have an LPX HD for sale if anyone is located in Texas, brand new. Ended up selling my car so I didn't get a chance to install it. Definitely would have and the reviews all look good.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
How is the pedal feel? Is it more progressive or is it more on/off? Is it typical for the clutch to start grabbing at the halfway point with it really starting to bite down at 3/4ths of the way like the OP says, or is it different? How slipable is the clutch? Any additional info would be nice. I just ordered a new TOB from you guys to see if that fixes my issues with my current clutch, but I am not sure it will, and even if it does, I'm not sure I want to keep the clutch anyway so I'm looking for a replacement and this one is one I'm taking a good look at.
I have the LPX HD in my car. Pedal feel is firm, but I would not call it heavy. Engagement is exactly as the OP describes. It starts to bite about halfway up and then you get to the meat of the engagement shortly after. This is my first twin disc, but considering you are clamping two discs and a floater plate together, I would expect it to feel this way. Clutch is very slipable and SMOOTH. Car is super easy to drive.

I've driven a car with a McLeod RXT and it felt quite a bit more 'grabby' and aggressive than the LPX setup. I'm a big fan of kevlar clutches as I had one in my old car. Plenty of holding power without feeling overly aggressive and they can take tons of abuse.

OP
OP
fuelforfire87

fuelforfire87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Hey Andrew, quick question. I just received my LPX HD and there isn't anything on proper break in procedure. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Since the LPX line is made by McLeod, I would follow their break-in procedure, which is 500-600 miles of city driving or 1200-1500 clutch cycles. Don't just hop on the highway and drive 500 miles. You will not have pressed the clutch in enough times to properly break it in. I also found this document directly from McLeod.

Attachments

Crusch84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Since the LPX line is made by McLeod, I would follow their break-in procedure, which is 500-600 miles of city driving or 1200-1500 clutch cycles. Don't just hop on the highway and drive 500 miles. You will not have pressed the clutch in enough times to properly break it in. I also found this document directly from McLeod.
Thanks man!
Sponsored