Sponsored

Got My Lethal Performance LPX-HD clutch and flywheel installed today

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
What you’re hearing is called ’gear rollover’ in the trans which is way more pronounced with a solid hub clutch. My MT82 made similar noise if lugging it at a low RPM with the LPX clutch, but maybe a bit quieter. I’m sure the beefy gears in the Magnum XL make it a bit louder.

I now run a Magnum XL and opted for the sprung hub McLeod RXT clutch setup. The gear rollover noise is almost non existent.
Sponsored

Eric5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Doe your trans have a counterweight on the right side like an MT82? Was wondering if that could be the source of the rattle?
I honestly don't know.
What you’re hearing is called ’gear rollover’ in the trans which is way more pronounced with a solid hub clutch. My MT82 made similar noise if lugging it at a low RPM with the LPX clutch, but maybe a bit quieter. I’m sure the beefy gears in the Magnum XL make it a bit louder.

I now run a Magnum XL and opted for the sprung hub McLeod RXT clutch setup. The gear rollover noise is almost non existent.
Thank you. I appreciate that. I just spent a small fortune and have been somewhat concerned. New block, clutch, trans, fuel system, dss shaft and e85 tune.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Doe your trans have a counterweight on the right side like an MT82? Was wondering if that could be the source of the rattle?
My trans doesn't have the counter weight and it makes the same sound although not as bad as Eric's videos sound.

Crusch84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I honestly don't know.

Thank you. I appreciate that. I just spent a small fortune and have been somewhat concerned. New block, clutch, trans, fuel system, dss shaft and e85 tune.
I have this clutch on my mt82. Same deal. I called mcleod since they manufacture it for lethal. They told me the same thing. My 18 comes with a dual mass flywheel which helps muffle it. With the solid fly wheel it's like a big bell amplifying the gear rollover

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
Is the LPX-HD comparable to the Mcleod RXT. If so, I hear the RXT will break transmissions. Does the LPX-HD feel like it is too harsh on the transmission?
That was the whole point of lethal creating the LPX line. The kevlar material is supposed to hold up to spirited driving and drag racing better than the organic RST, while not being as harsh as the RXT with its ceramic material.
I keep hearing some of this stuff and simply not the case. The whole point of "private label" is to create a demand, and control the market and control the price.

Its like watching the liberal news where they keep repeating stuff that isn't true to make you buy what they are selling....

You can search this forum and probably no short of 1000 facebook posts of "company A" we'll call them recommending the RXT clutch and talking about how amazing it is, and that the whole "breaking transmission" is bs.

The LPX is not a mcleod procuct, it is not supported by mcleod, and does not carry a mcleod warranty . In reality, no one should even know who makes it, but again, marketing. push your brand "but made by" to get people to buy it.

the rxt has been the #1 selling clutch for the last 11 years for these cars.. period. and there are thousands of mt82s been running for 5-10 years on them without issue.

you want to select a clutch based on how you use the car. an rxt will not hold up to heat because it's organic, it just won't it doesn't like burnouts, clutch dumps, etc..

There is nothing wrong with ceremetallic clutches. They work amazing on these cars. Mantic, Exedy etc..

If your main reason for going "kevlar" is to be "easy" on the transmission... thats just silly. but if thats what you want, South Bend Clutch makes kevlar clutches at a great value.

If you really are buying for "easy on the transmission" , you should be looking at mantic, or exedy because they use a "sprung hub". THAT ..... is what makes a clutch "easier" on the transmission, if thats what your concern is.

The exedy et04xd is rated at 847 ft/lbs to the tires, not 1000 hp flywheel. and it's a sprung hub, if your big power, and want "easy" on the trans, thats what you want. Or a mantic.

The entire goal of private label is to create a brand and control the price. because you get a bunch of people saying "its easy on the transmission" and spreading it around the net, you are the only one selling that particular clutch, and you command more money, for something you are buying less.... Its all about "profit" PERIOD!

RXT, MANTIC, ET04XD...... period.

i literally need to copy paste this for everytime I hear this "easy" on the trans because its kevlar.

I have had no short of a dozen customers in the last 6 months switch back to a differerent brand from the "private labeled" clutch for a multitude of reasons....

but hey..... don't take my word for it.....take "theirs"

and how about 9 second passes on the mcleod rxt.......wonder whos car did that...

Last edited:

Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
After 15k miles I've decided getting used to the lpx-hd is like dealing with a women. There are good days and bad days. Some days she's smooth as butter and some days she's temperamental as fuck. And some days you just have to ride her hard but then she loosens up!

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
"private labeled" usually means cheap materials/quality that chatters like a mofo & sold to the customer at a premium-ish prices.

That RXT bullshit got traction with a clown named Alejandro Flores, who by the way never used it.
Sponsored