Sponsored

Got deal together for 2020 GT350R - would like some insights

tobaccokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
2019 and 2020 non-R models were designed by Ford to be very close to the R models in terms of overall performance. For everyone but the most experienced drivers, other than for an ego purchase, you could save quite a bit of coin by sticking with a non-R. Especially considering the fragility and extreme cost of the CF wheels. Plus, all '19/20 non-R and R's have the strengthened GT500 blocks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R / 2021 Shelby GT500
Attached is the sticker and CarFax for the 2020 GT350R. The "minor damage" on the 2020 GT350R was a scratch discovered upon delivery on the rear bumper. Dealer stated the entire rear bumper was replaced and repainted. I will inspect on Saturday.

My 2016 GT350 shows a "very minor damage" on CarFax as well. I had a 6 inch scratch / scrape last fall while car was parked on my front right bumper (discovered after I came out of a restaurant; of course no one left a note or card). I had the entire front bumper repainted, new stripes, etc. to ensure perfect color matching. Turned into insurance. Was not cheap.

Attachments

PwrStroke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350 & GT350 (Perf Blue, White Strips)
Thanks. really appreciate the input. I have the WS and CarFax and indeed no car cover for this sticker. No biggie. I have my 2016 GT350 car cover and I can ask the dealer if I can keep it with my trade. The dealer did not ask for it so maybe that is a possibility. Agreed there are other, nice car cover options out there. The car cover is the least of my worries.
R pricing is all over depending on the moment in time, etc.

May want to check the stripe alignment on the rear trunk, etc. My 2020 GT350 is noticeably off (waiting on Ford to address).

My experience is...
The dealer will 'misplace' the accessories from your 2016 GT350. There's no way to insure the next owner receives the accessories.
So...
Consider holding onto the 'owners supplement', cover, etc. (if you have that) and pass on to the new owner when they register on this 'GREAT FORUM'.

Thought.
Does the standard cover fit the R models? Thought there was a difference in the cover model number and fitment on the rear wing?

I'm sure you can sell the cover if needed.
Heck, I need one for my 2020 GT350. :like:

Congrats and good luck.

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
Attached is the sticker and CarFax for the 2020 GT350R. The "minor damage" on the 2020 GT350R was a scratch discovered upon delivery on the rear bumper. Dealer stated the entire rear bumper was replaced and repainted. I will inspect on Saturday.

My 2016 GT350 shows a "very minor damage" on CarFax as well. I had a 6 inch scratch / scrape last fall while car was parked on my front right bumper (discovered after I came out of a restaurant; of course no one left a note or card). I had the entire front bumper repainted, new stripes, etc. to ensure perfect color matching. Turned into insurance. Was not cheap.
Good advice in here so far. I agree that the wheels and rear wing should be the two things that you really look over. If you miss something on them, it's going to be on you to fix. Interesting that they would replace the bumper for a "scratch". Just inspect it like you said but hopefully the car should be good to go. Let us know how it turns out, the Rs are pretty awesome.

2019 and 2020 non-R models were designed by Ford to be very close to the R models in terms of overall performance. For everyone but the most experienced drivers, other than for an ego purchase, you could save quite a bit of coin by sticking with a non-R. Especially considering the fragility and extreme cost of the CF wheels. Plus, all '19/20 non-R and R's have the strengthened GT500 blocks.
Sounds like his mind is made up man.

rush0024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R | 2023 Ram TRX
I called about this same car a few days ago. They didn't have the supplement (or at least the guy had no clue what it was. Said he would look for it and never called me back). They also didn't know about the minor damage. Seems that got figured out though. If it had the kit and CF dash I would have been all over it.

Good luck man!

Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
The 19 base model cut the VIR time from a 4 second diff to a 2 second diff. Not very close but still a nice improvement. CF wheels are not fragile. They are stronger then forged wheels. When they do break, they are very expensive to replace. As someone has said, I believe the car cover is different between a base 350 and an R because of the wing and larger front splitter. Make sure the wheels are CF. We have seen cars traded in and knock off wheels put on.

OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
I called about this same car a few days ago. They didn't have the supplement (or at least the guy had no clue what it was. Said he would look for it and never called me back). They also didn't know about the minor damage. Seems that got figured out though. If it had the kit and CF dash I would have been all over it.

Good luck man!
So there's a backstory here. I called about this car two weeks ago. Dealer is 90 miles from me. Sales rep said the car was on hold for a buyer in NM. But the sales rep kept my information and said they would call me if things changed. Apparently things changed with the NM buyer and he backed out. So sales rep and dealer GM texted / called me first to ask if I was still interested. I of course said yes and things took off quickly in a very short time period.

OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
The 19 base model cut the VIR time from a 4 second diff to a 2 second diff. Not very close but still a nice improvement. CF wheels are not fragile. They are stronger then forged wheels. When they do break, they are very expensive to replace. As someone has said, I believe the car cover is different between a base 350 and an R because of the wing and larger front splitter. Make sure the wheels are CF. We have seen cars traded in and knock off wheels put on.
Great info. Thank you. I have my notes, advice from the members, and blacklight! - and will do a thorough inspection Saturday morning. I hope all goes well.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Thanks. really appreciate the input. I have the WS and CarFax and indeed no car cover for this sticker. No biggie. I have my 2016 GT350 car cover and I can ask the dealer if I can keep it with my trade. The dealer did not ask for it so maybe that is a possibility. Agreed there are other, nice car cover options out there. The car cover is the least of my worries.
A regular 350 OEM car cover won't fit an R wing. They are two separate cuts and part numbers. Ask me how I know.

Sponsored
OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
A regular 350 OEM car cover won't fit an R wing. They are two separate cuts and part numbers. Ask me how I know.
Please do tell...

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Please do tell...
When I picked my new R up I noticed the car cover was not in the car. It was on the window sticker as the option I paid for. I asked they get it for me and they went to the back and pulled one off the shelf that was for a GT350 and thought that was good. I did too honestly until I learned they are not the same and there are different part numbers for the regular 350 and the R. I returned it to the dealership and made them produce my R cover which they had in the back shelf as well. The dealership and I both learned something that day.

Here's the part number for the R cover.

R22 cover.jpg

Last edited:

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Well put Tim as I was going to respond but you beat me to the punch.

GT350 and R model car covers are different for sure and suggest that a Base GT350 cover may barely fit on an R model but suggest that it will be stretched to the limit.

For anyone to suggest that CF wheels are fragile is very hard to comprehend.

The carbon used in the Carbon Revolution CF wheels is actually stronger than many metals including any aluminum wheel but would certainly agree that they are quite expensive to replace.

I have had many conversations with various Ford personnel over the 6 model years and in particular the 2019 and 2020 cars and don't recall any conversation whereby the Base GT350 was specifically designed by Ford engineers to be very close in performance to the R model for the 2019/2020 model years and just as you mentioned track time comparisons from track locations such as VIR confirm that.

If that was the case I would suggest that all 2020 Base GT350's would have had the 2020 GT500 steering rack assembly installed in these Base cars when in fact only the 2020 R's had the GT500 steering racks installed in them.

Having said that a Base Shelby GT350 is one outstanding automobile for any model year with the 2019/2020's being the best Base cars for the 6 year production run.

rush0024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R | 2023 Ram TRX
Is there an easy way to tell if the wheels are actually CF?

OP
OP
AgSurfer

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Is there an easy way to tell if the wheels are actually CF?
Good question - they are painted carbon fiber, right? So need to investigate closely with flashlight, right?
Sponsored