Sponsored

Got a visit from a LEO today about my Mustang

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I think what he means is that the police should not look like the military. (Same gear but dressed in black). A free and democratic society does not need an army to keep the peace. This was more of a big deal years ago when people actually fled such countries. Now they are pushing the limits again. We want cops with the goofy brim hat, blue pressed shirt and pants with a red stripe down the side and shoes and not combat boots.

The police take orders from us - not the other way around...

“To serve” and protect!
Sorry man, but agree to disagree. Unless you've done the job, you have no idea what is out here. Back in 2007, I had only 2 years on, and my partner who just finished training came to my squad. He was shot on a traffic stop 2 months later. He only had 7 months on the street. I wear rifle plates in my vest. I carry an AR15 in my patrol car. I dont know how it is in Canada, but we have 2 homicides a day in my city. We had 48 officer involved shootings last year, where 31 of the assailants used a firearm. That's huge. While I do work for the citizens of this city, I definitely dont take orders from them, or anyone in management other than my direct supervisor, on how to do this job and keep myself and them safe.

And look like the military? If the gear works for us, why not use it? I have an outer carrier, that allows me to move my radio, and ECD off my belt and onto my torso. It's also 120 degrees here during the summer, so having an outer carrier makes it more comfortable for me to be out on the street. Nobody is parading around here with ballistic helmets on, with an RPG or an M2 strapped to our cars. This militarization fear from people is ridiculous. I dont tell a carpenter how do how his job or what tools to you because I dont know dick about it. Even if I read about it on the internet, I still have no idea on how it is. I know how the military is and i know how the police department is, and its about as far apart as you can get.
Sponsored

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Some years ago, I was home (on a day off), sitting at my PC when a knock came from the side door. I turned to see a Sheriff's deputy in full SWAT regalia.

"Have you heard any shooting from the house on the hill?"

"Yea, but that's not uncommon. Doesn't bother me."

"Well, this time he's promised to shoot up the neighborhood. Stay away from the front of your house."

They used my Ram for cover and scratched up the sides with their accoutrements. I think they took all the neighbor's guns after that.

The neighbor had lost his business and his wife. She'd told him she was leaving that day. Now the house is foreclosed. Regular guy - the world just got away from him.

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Some years ago, I was home (on a day off), sitting at my PC when a knock came from the side door. I turned to see a Sheriff's deputy in full SWAT regalia.

"Have you heard any shooting from the house on the hill?"

"Yea, but that's not uncommon. Doesn't bother me."

"Well, this time he's promised to shoot up the neighborhood. Stay away from the front of your house."

They used my Ram for cover and scratched up the sides with their accoutrements. I think they took all the neighbor's guns after that.

The neighbor had lost his business and his wife. She'd told him she was leaving that day. Now the house is foreclosed. Regular guy - the world just got away from him.
That's why they should have had an armored car of their own. And they definitelt should have covered the damage too. That's not right. Your truck would have been swiss cheese, and any rifle round will go through it front to back unless it hits the block. Two years ago we had a guy fire multiple 7.62 rounds from an SKS out of his apartment and into the side of our Bear Cat, with me standing on the other side of the door. The ballistic panels did their job. The people that think we dont need armor like that can give me their son/daughter/wife to put in front of me, to see if they would think we need that armor then, when the rounds start flying. Every day I see someone on the internet who thinks they can do the job better, or they know what gear I do or dont need, but none of those people ever fill out an application and show me how its done. Everyone is amazing from the comfort of their recliner.

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
View attachment 371571
What tactical gear could have he possibly had? Gun, ECD, oc spray, magazines, radio. That's it. When I was on swat, even on my jump vest, all I would have compared to a regular patrol vest is just rifle magazines and a flash bang. My heavy vest would just have an additional bang on it and some chem lights. And you dont dress for a neighborhood you work. We've had officers get shot in areas with million dollar homes just as we've had them shot in the area where the house is worth less than the shirt on your back. The job is the same no matter where you work.

Didn't mean to offend. I've been hassled by LEOs more times than I can count, and the times they've been truly helpful, slim. In my experience with LEO, I feel like generally they project an attitude of dominance and superiority when there's no need. Didn't mean to step on anyone's toes.

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
View attachment 371571

Didn't mean to offend. I've been hassled by LEOs more times than I can count, and the times they've been truly helpful, slim. In my experience with LEO, I feel like generally they project an attitude of dominance and superiority when there's no need. Didn't mean to step on anyone's toes.
Not offended at all. I wasn't there so I don't know how your interaction was. I see it from both sides. On one side, who cares if kids cut through the grass..on the other side, what the officer said was true. They are technically trespassing, but who the hell want to book a juvy for that. I'll tell you right now, no cop in their right mind lol it's a pain.

Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Sorry man, but agree to disagree. Unless you've done the job, you have no idea what is out here. Back in 2007, I had only 2 years on, and my partner who just finished training came to my squad. He was shot on a traffic stop 2 months later. He only had 7 months on the street. I wear rifle plates in my vest. I carry an AR15 in my patrol car. I dont know how it is in Canada, but we have 2 homicides a day in my city. We had 48 officer involved shootings last year, where 31 of the assailants used a firearm. That's huge. While I do work for the citizens of this city, I definitely dont take orders from them, or anyone in management other than my direct supervisor, on how to do this job and keep myself and them safe.

And look like the military? If the gear works for us, why not use it? I have an outer carrier, that allows me to move my radio, and ECD off my belt and onto my torso. It's also 120 degrees here during the summer, so having an outer carrier makes it more comfortable for me to be out on the street. Nobody is parading around here with ballistic helmets on, with an RPG or an M2 strapped to our cars. This militarization fear from people is ridiculous. I dont tell a carpenter how do how his job or what tools to you because I dont know dick about it. Even if I read about it on the internet, I still have no idea on how it is. I know how the military is and i know how the police department is, and its about as far apart as you can get.

Nobody is saying don’t wear armour or have an M4 handy if the boys pack real heat. Just the appearance. In England they wear yellow vests from what I’ve seen. And again after the troubles with the Irish and all that they seem keen to erase that idea of the military on city streets. We had that up here in the mid 1970’s with the FLQ. That was a big deal here with the military keeping the peace and I don't think that has ever happened since, as far as I can remember.

I was more gung ho back in the day. I had no problem executing people and hanging the corpses by their feet above the door to the police division. I also would not have a problem with guys in full military gear cruising down residential streets in a Hummer with a 50 cal firing off a few rounds for the kids when things got boring. But I would have insisted that they always came to a full stop at the stop signs! That was then - and my opinions have changed with age...

Last edited:

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
Damn, I didn't mean for everyone to get all fired up. Generally I try and be respectful to LEO, but some make it damn hard to be. My wife works for the housing dept and sees a completely different side of LEOs than I do. I had no problem with the officer that came to my house, until he got attitude. Be good everyone. If I offended, I do apologize.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
View attachment 371571
One of my "clients" complained that every time he had any contact with LEOs, he ended up getting beaten, restrained, and arrested. When I suggested the problem was not with the LEOs, but that he might be purposely stimulating that kind of behavior by behavior of his own, he went thoughtful for a tick or two, then admitted it might be true.

He was a different breed of cat than the one who was frequently arrested for mutual combat offenses. He smiled, and said, "Yeah, I just like to fight." There's a lady near here who just likes to fight, too, but there's never any hitting; just shouting and foul language. Some people aren't sure the are alive unless they're involved in some kind of adrenaline-raising activity.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Damn, I didn't mean for everyone to get all fired up. Generally I try and be respectful to LEO, but some make it damn hard to be. My wife works for the housing dept and sees a completely different side of LEOs than I do. I had no problem with the officer that came to my house, until he got attitude. Be good everyone. If I offended, I do apologize.

Nobody is fired up.

The cops are just ordinary people like you or I. Take that guy Mike B I talked about two days ago. The late night show celebrity preaching “no means no” and respect woman, etc. Ends up threatening and stalking a former girlfriend. Then he breached bail and all kinds of other stuff.

Guess what?

He used to be a policeman.

Last edited:

p6cl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Had the something similar happen to my son. He was leaving the vo-tech school parking lot and LEO stopped him for not coming to a complete stop. My boy turned around, looked, and asked, "Where is the stop sign?" LEO sent him on his way.

Although, my personal favorite, my neighbor across the street was a literal "get off my lawn!" old man. They were the last one ones to move into the cul-de-sac. This is a neighborhood full of younger familes with kids. A group of 12-13 year old boys would gather up and start walking. They would end up at our house, as my wife was home and would fix everyone lunch. They would then proceed to cut through yards for anorth couple of blocks, picking up another kid or two along the way. The old man across the street (60ish) came out and was hollering at my kid. I told him he can either come talk to me or call the police, but to leave me kids alone. About a week later, I was home and there was a knock on the door. Sure enough, the local fuzz. I didn't think anything of it. I was polite, said hey, come on in. He introduced himself as the commuinty relations officer. I said great, what I can do for you. That's when it went to shit. He started out with there's been a complaint about young boys walking through my neighbor's yard. I acknowledged that I told the guy across the street to call the police, and the officer said "here I am". I explained that the boys migrate from one side of the 'hood to the other, and that yes, they sometimes cut between the houses across the street. But I also explained that there are usually 6 or 7 boys, and that my kids know not walk in his yard. I also told LEO that I've seen some of the more smart-assed kids walk stradeling the line, and that I've seen some kids push other kids into that yard. Now, this particular LEO had to be about 6'-5", an easy 250 lbs (plus all of the useless gear, I mean come on, we live in a tame mid to upper middle class neighboorhood, we don't need Tommy Tactical on patrol) starts in on me with "If we can prove it's you boys walking in the yard, you could be charged with trespass." I said fine, get CSI out here and get the shoe prints off the lawn, get video tape, get the dna from the sweat in the grass." he said well, if we can prove it's your son, we'll go to court. I said fine, I've been to court before. But unti you can prove it;s my kid and one of the others that's on his lawn, I don't want to hear from him, or you, again. I told LEO it was time for him to leave my home. He left. About 3 months lateer, the guy across the street moved.

I have no problem with police officers who work tough neighborhoods having all the gear they need and the general attitude that goes with it. BUT, when they go full tilt with the tacticle vest and crap, and in the type of neighborhoods around here, give me a break. I have no time for that kind of crap.
You actually can be cited for not stopping coming of private property. Its a law. Rarely enforced unless accident or something else. But stop sign not needed.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
That's why they should have had an armored car of their own. And they definitely should have covered the damage too.
Have had good luck with the police making good on damages. Back in '89 I saw a LEO make a dangerous lane change that forced another driver to almost hit someone else while avoiding. When the LEO turned into a parking lot I followed, intending to let him know what happened because I don't think he even knew and if he had used his signals, the other driver might have defused the situation.

He pulled into a parking space and I stopped behind him and got out. I had just walked in front of my car on my way to his door when he put his car in reverse and slammed into the side of my '89 LX 5.0. Another officer was parked on the other side of me and they decided I had been speeding behind the first officer causing the accident. I demanded a supervisor, who arrived shortly and listened to my and the officers' accounts. He asked a few questions, the last one was did I have a rope. I asked why and he said "to string these two up". While their faces turned red, he told me to send the PD the bill and it would be paid immediately. It was. I wasn't pleased that the officers appeared to fabricate a story to cover the butt of one of them but if neither was looking (I sure know one wasn't) I guess maybe they jumped to conclusions. Still, me standing in the way of the first officer opening his door immediately after impact should have been a pretty big clue my car hadn't been moving at all.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Have had good luck with the police making good on damages. Back in '89 I saw a LEO make a dangerous lane change that forced another driver to almost hit someone else while avoiding. When the LEO turned into a parking lot I followed, intending to let him know what happened because I don't think he even knew and if he had used his signals, the other driver might have defused the situation.

He pulled into a parking space and I stopped behind him and got out. I had just walked in front of my car on my way to his door when he put his car in reverse and slammed into the side of my '89 LX 5.0. Another officer was parked on the other side of me and they decided I had been speeding behind the first officer causing the accident. I demanded a supervisor, who arrived shortly and listened to my and the officers' accounts. He asked a few questions, the last one was asking me if I had a rope. I asked why and he said "to string these two up". While their faces turned red, he told me to send the PD the bill and it would be paid immediately. It was. I wasn't pleased that the officers appeared to fabricate a story to cover the butt of one of them but if neither was looking (I sure know one wasn't) I guess maybe they jumped to conclusions. Still, me standing in the way of the first officer opening his door immediately after impact should have been a pretty big clue my car hadn't been moving at all.

Between you and me you could have avoided all of this by not chasing the cop down to tell him what he did wrong. To me that is just asking for trouble.

Todd00000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
LEO: Someone complained about a Black Mustang ripping thru the neighborhood and if your doing that, you need to stop.

Me: Fair enough but I’m not ripping thru the neighborhood. My wife and daughters drive faster than I do in there Honda’s and Subaru’s. So who complained ?

LEO: I can’t tell you that. If they press charges then I’ll tell you.

Me: Well okay and have a great day
One day I was driving my Corvette at the speed limit, 25mph, and I was told to slow down. People perceive sports cars as going faster than they are.

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately, there are some that don’t understand that a LOUD exhaust system does not equal a setup that sounds GOOD. Rarely do the two go hand in hand. In my area, most tend to have LOUD setups on their cars that sound like crap.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
One day I was driving my Corvette at the speed limit, 25mph, and I was told to slow down. People perceive sports cars as going faster than they are.

Look, this is a performance car forum not mothers against drunk driving. Never exceed the speed limit and never rolled through a stop sign? Yah right guys!

In my second 5.0 I racked up 24 tickets in two years (over 30 years ago) but only four minor convictions in the end cause I fight them all. Three constitutional challenges, the last for disobey a yield sign (he didn't give me the ticket for the original infraction but fished this one out of the sky). The one before it was a dropped ticket to 0 points at 15km over. Normally once you agree to a lesser charge that is it even in court. But with a constitutional challenge you can ignore that. The last time I got pulled over the cop got my information, went back to his car, changed his mind, and only gave me a warning.
Sponsored