Sponsored

Got a visit from a LEO today about my Mustang

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Impressive you can remember every sign you've seen(or not seen and there for blown) in your life and if you've stopped at them.

Rolling stop and blowing the sign are 2 separate things, and should be treated as such. One is clearly paying 0 attention. And in my case has resulted in someone totaling a car of mine. The other is slowing down so you can process the intersection, anything that may or not enter it, and then completely stopping, if needed, or proceding safely.

To me case 1 shows blatant disregard for others on the road and a very potentially lethal danger. Case 2 if you can not roll at sub 5 MPH and be fully aware of your surroundings to tell if you need to 100% stop, other cars at intersection or people waiting to cross, you should NOT be on the road.

To me the fact we need to enforce complete stops just shows how many people in this country should not be driving at all. I'd fully back the idea of a drivers license to be retested every 4 years when you renew, and the tests to be MUCH harder than they are now. I also wish there were a way to tell if a person with suspended or terminated license were behind the wheel with harsher penalties for DUI's. I'd also like to see crackdowns on slow drivers in the left lane and lack of blinker usage. Meanwhile I see more cops worried about tint and loud sound/exhaust systems than road safety.
Dude a stop sign is not, slow down and stop if necessary. It's a stop. You stop. At 5 miles per hour, you're covering 7.5 feet per second. Most crosswalks are 14 feet. So at your 5 miles per hour, before you react and stop, you're in the crosswalk. There are reasons they are there. You're right, some people shouldn't be on the road, and it's people that think that rules don't apply to them.

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
We have those here too. They are literally read only scanners, that means they can't make notations on anyone's plate. They look for stolen vehicles. So like I said, not true to your statement.

Edit: I don't see how they can justifiably make a stop if the registered owner has a suspended license.. it doesn't mean that the owner is driving.

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
Believe it or not I met him at MetalWorks Studios while I was mastering an album. He was there doing voice overs for this real estate show called Housecapades. Anyway I was doing reality TV with musicians and he recognized me and said hi! He actually seems like a nice guy. But we all know what happened. This was 2006. I also spent an afternoon with the Barenaked Ladies on I think their last album, before things went south. If you are known in the media world and meet me - well - that’s it, you’re on the way out... :cwl:
Cool story. He probably is a nice guy but what happened with him - well, lesson learned I hope.

And lucky I'm pretty much a nobody so it's safe to meet you. BNL did pretty well though even if only with the Big Bang Theory theme song - they must have mad a fortune off that show

Cheers

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Long Island has many towns with a "village limit" of 30mph, even in residential areas. It's weird to me, and I have a hard time going that fast through a neighborhood. Too many parked cars, kids, and oblivious people backing out of driveways while texting/shaving/putting on makeup.
30 seems high to me, too. That's too fast with cars and driveways and kids that could jump out at any second. Even 25 feels slightly too fast, to me. Like 2 mph too fast.

mc68386

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Sometimes our cars just looks like they are going fast even standing still. I've had a guy near my neighborhood pretend to throw his garbage can lid at my car while driving by. Wasnt speeding or doing anything other than driving by. Haters going to hate.
If he ever does that again, pull a Michael Meyers - slam on the breaks, full stop, and back up slowly to him. Then politely ask if there is a problem.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Dude a stop sign is not, slow down and stop if necessary. It's a stop. You stop. At 5 miles per hour, you're covering 7.5 feet per second. Most crosswalks are 14 feet. So at your 5 miles per hour, before you react and stop, you're in the crosswalk. There are reasons they are there. You're right, some people shouldn't be on the road, and it's people that think that rules don't apply to them.
if you can't see someone approaching a sidewalk at 14ft you're not paying attention.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
I drive like a snail through my neighborhood. Lots of families and kids playing in the street. Never got a complaint about my driving. I have had complaints about how loud my car is though. I do start it in quiet mode in the mornings and late at night to be considerate.

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
It's not the people on the sidewalk I can't see, it's the dumb shits who run out from in between their parked SUVs. I actually had a kid ride his bike right into the street from behind a car. If I wasn't paying attention, he'd be a waffle.
Exactly, and that's possible anyplace along the 25MPH or 35MPH road, not just when you are doing sub-5 creeping to the intersection. Also I wish that cops would ticket violators of the "no parking in 20ft of a stop sign" law. I have idiots that park right at or past it. Cops just ignore it.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
30 seems high to me, too. That's too fast with cars and driveways and kids that could jump out at any second. Even 25 feels slightly too fast, to me. Like 2 mph too fast.
If those other cars and kids were attentive they wouldn't jump out. If I got hit by a car because I just ran out in the street as a kid after getting back from the hospital my dad would just call me an idiot and ask if I learned my lesson.

Stang1586

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Not true.
Very true. Most departments in the state of CT have at least a few cars with plate readers. They are constantly scanning vehicles and running registrations for expired and suspended registrations, insufficient insurance, misuses, stolen vehicles, etc... When a vehicle pops up on the screen it will have a picture of the car and the tag with the flagged issue and the registered owners information and vehicle information as well.

As for the suspended license stop, a simple license check through the DMV will show a picture of the driver and if that's the person operating the vehicle then you have a justifiable stop. You're right though, just because the registered owner's license is suspended does not mean they are operating the vehicle at that time so you don't really have any reason for a stop unless you have some sort of violation, but that article was from Canada so not sure what the motor vehicle laws are up in that area.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Sometimes our cars just looks like they are going fast even standing still. I've had a guy near my neighborhood pretend to throw his garbage can lid at my car while driving by. Wasnt speeding or doing anything other than driving by. Haters going to hate.
I had a guy THROW a garbage can at me while riding my motorcycle. On a rural highway. Have it on video tape, yes tape circa 2001.

Guy just didnt like our group of 15 or so sportbikes that rolled past him every nice Saturday morning on the way to the backroads.

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
You know nothing about me really. I mention one time I rolled and not at speed but almost at a stop and this woman stops her car in the intersection to ball me out. Nobody else was around and these were just streets with houses on them and no main roads. So now I have become a guy punching though school zone stop signs with kids diving out of the way.

And of course you other guys have never ever rolled through a stop sign and I mean stopped - count to three - and then proceeded. I was once in traffic court and this guy told this bs story about counting to three before proceeding. Guess what? GUILTY! As in the judge didn’t believe any of it. Nobody drives for 45 years and never rolls through a stop. I would bet all of us have at one time gone through a stop sign in an area we didn’t know and never realized it.
I hope that you get some lessons to improve your driving abilities and perhaps glasses so you can properly read and see the stop sign.

Just in case you are confused what a stop sign means:

A stop sign is a traffic sign designed to notify drivers that they must come to a complete stop and make sure no other vehicles are coming and no pedestrians are crossing before proceeding.
Sponsored