Sponsored

Got a Magnaflow Tru-X Resonator, Drone is Gone but Too Quiet Now (even w/ muffler deletes). Solutions? Catless? GT Mak Cat Deletes??

blueskies925

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (manual)
Hey everyone,

I previously had an x-pipe and muffler delete setup on my '18 GT (E85R Lund Tuned), it sounded great, just the drone was insane. So I swapped out the x-pipe for a Magnaflow Tru-X resonator, and man it really eliminated all the drone which I love, but it also made the car super quiet, even with my muffler deletes (I've also broken it in). The only time it sounds loud now is when I'm revving on idle, but cruising or even WOT, it's not loud at all and almost sounds like a stock active exhaust. I don't think I'll be going axle-backs, but I've been considering doing cat deletes and/or the GT Mak cat delete. Does anyone have that setup? Would it be too loud, or just right with my Magnflow resonator now? I have not found anyone else online with it. From what I've researched, cat deletes would not increase drone which is great! Someone did advise me and warned me about the gaskets being issues and being replaced though? Any feedback is appreciated thank you! :)
Sponsored

Geosh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The Tru-x is a quieter option. Going catless will definitely increase the volume. You might also look into a Borla resonator instead, or maybe some smaller straight through resonators and an H-pipe.

I’ve found that the Tru-x is definitely quiet inside the car when cruising but I’m really happy with it, and it’s sounds nice and throaty without the rasp. A little more volume wouldn’t be terrible though

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
Just go cat less long tubes... I have stainless power catless and stock active mufflers with the mag tru x. Mine is broke in now and it sounds perfect. But wide open in track mode is loud AF. Its absolutely perfect now. And quiet mode works perfect like when stock. Do you have the active mufflers? I got the headers shipped to my door from Lethal for like $760 I think. I installed mine on jackstands in garage. Wasnt a bad job at all. Drivers side is a piece of cake. I considered the cat deletes too but for the price of those plus getting them installed/welded vs the stainless power headers it was a no brainer.

OP
OP

blueskies925

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (manual)
The Tru-x is a quieter option. Going catless will definitely increase the volume. You might also look into a Borla resonator instead, or maybe some smaller straight through resonators and an H-pipe.

I’ve found that the Tru-x is definitely quiet inside the car when cruising but I’m really happy with it, and it’s sounds nice and throaty without the rasp. A little more volume wouldn’t be terrible though
Yeah don't get me wrong I love that almost all my drone is gone now because of it, that's why I wouldn't do any other resonator option to replace it, hopefully going catless will be exactly what I'm looking for because it's way too quiet for me rn.

Just go cat less long tubes... I have stainless power catless and stock active mufflers with the mag tru x. Mine is broke in now and it sounds perfect. But wide open in track mode is loud AF. Its absolutely perfect now. And quiet mode works perfect like when stock. Do you have the active mufflers? I got the headers shipped to my door from Lethal for like $760 I think. I installed mine on jackstands in garage. Wasnt a bad job at all. Drivers side is a piece of cake. I considered the cat deletes too but for the price of those plus getting them installed/welded vs the stainless power headers it was a no brainer.
I sadly do not have the active exhaust. I was honestly considering the stainless power LTH's for a while now, but considering the installation cost is just as much as the purchase price (since I wouldn't install it myself), and also me living in Commiefornia, it would be a pain in the ass to have to remove for whatever reasons down the line and then re-install, versus just a cat delete where it's an easier process of weld on & off, but it is something to still consider and think about.

Tru-X is a sound delete pretty much. I run muffler deletes with stock suitcase, works for me. If you're going long tubes just leave it the way it is, it will probably come out just right.
It really is though. I should have kept my stock suitcase lol, but yes either LTH's or cat delete will be done!

Sponsored

Geosh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Yeah don't get me wrong I love that almost all my drone is gone now because of it, that's why I wouldn't do any other resonator option to replace it, hopefully going catless will be exactly what I'm looking for because it's way too quiet for me rn.

I sadly do not have the active exhaust. I was honestly considering the stainless power LTH's for a while now, but considering the installation cost is just as much as the purchase price (since I wouldn't install it myself), and also me living in Commiefornia, it would be a pain in the ass to have to remove for whatever reasons down the line and then re-install, versus just a cat delete where it's an easier process of weld on & off, but it is something to still consider and think about.

It really is though. I should have kept my stock suitcase lol, but yes either LTH's or cat delete will be done!

You might consider getting some active mufflers. I just swapped some on mine when I put the Tru-x on, and with them open in track mode it sounds fantastic. I spent the time modding some actuators to work separately on my own control, but I may never close them now. Not too loud that it’s annoying anyone, but it has a nice deep rumble and decent volume.

Also, found a set of takeoffs locally for dirt cheap so you can’t beat the price if you can find some.

Last edited:

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
I had the tru x on with LT's (catless) along with SLP LM2's & still too quiet.

Jordan @ Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Stingray M7
I'm pretty sure that they made the Tru X with the intentions of quelling the obnoxiousness caused by hatless long tubes. I'd say to put the stainless headers on and skip the cats (if you can) then see how you like the sound.

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
I think it was amazing how much the Tru-X quieted down the overall volume of the exhaust.

With that said, it was way too quiet for me, even with Kooks catless LTs and Ford Performance by Borla Extreme catback.

Sponsored

FrankM5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401a package
You might consider getting some active mufflers. I just swapped some on mine when I put the Tru-x on, and with them open in track mode it sounds fantastic. I spent the time modding some actuators to work separately on my own control, but I may never close them now. Not too loud that it’s annoying anyone, but it has a nice deep rumble and decent volume.

Also, found a set of takeoffs locally for dirt cheap so you can’t beat the price if you can find some.
How hard was the modding for the actuators?

Geosh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
How hard was the modding for the actuators?
Not that hard at all I didn’t think, but I am fairly mechanical and have a background in electronics too.

There is a thread on the forums where a guy documents his install. I ended up using actuators from a BMW and modifying them slightly so they work properly. They must be made by the same company Ford uses because they are almost identical except for the clocking of the output shaft (which is easy to change)

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-active-exhaust-install-guide.101913/

With the Tru-x, I’d probably just get the mufflers and use lock wire to lock the valve in the open position and forget the actuators. I haven’t close mine since I installed them.
Sponsored

Last edited: