Sponsored

Got a GT Premium Friday, now I want a PP2!!!

gorgin4325

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Hello,

I just picked up a 2020 GT Premium and was looking at slowly getting "some" of the components that come in the PP2. I have found most of what Ford includes, either through Ford Performace, or similar aftermarket parts. However, does anyone know what is unique about PP2's "unique track inspired chassis"? Are there bold-ons added? Or is the chassis different?

Thank you,
Sponsored

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
If your new Mustang does not have Magnaride dampers then you're pretty much dead in the water for bolt-ons. Then there is the Tremec rear end. I also think the front fender wells are larger to accomidate the 305x30-19 SC2 tires on the 10.5x19" wheels.
But you did say pretty much like a PP2.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Hello,

I just picked up a 2020 GT Premium and was looking at slowly getting "some" of the components that come in the PP2. I have found most of what Ford includes, either through Ford Performace, or similar aftermarket parts. However, does anyone know what is unique about PP2's "unique track inspired chassis"? Are there bold-ons added? Or is the chassis different?

Thank you,
Chassis is the same short of strut tower brace.
It has a bunch of components that if you have a non-PP car (which it sounds like), it would be easier / cheaper for you to sell yours and buy a PP2 (if that's what you want).

It has all the PP1 bits (radiator, Torsen differential (which I think poster above meant by Tremec rear end ?, larger front brakes, spherical bearing in the rear toe link) + Magneride (option on PP1, pretty much impossible to add on your own), larger wheels / tires, different springs / swaybars.

You can easily build the car that will have superior handling to PP2 (at the cost of NVH probably) but it's not going to be PP2.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for your response.

PP2 is infectious, I can tell ya that, happy hunting.

BTW: KZ gives an accurate overview of the process you could be looking at.

Sponsored

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Want a PP2? Buy a PP2. You have no other good option.

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
I've only seen one on the road in my area, boy, did it look good with those tires and wheels...

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
Chassis is the same short of strut tower brace.
It has a bunch of components that if you have a non-PP car (which it sounds like), it would be easier / cheaper for you to sell yours and buy a PP2 (if that's what you want).

It has all the PP1 bits (radiator, Torsen differential (which I think poster above meant by Tremec rear end ?, larger front brakes, spherical bearing in the rear toe link) + Magneride (option on PP1, pretty much impossible to add on your own), larger wheels / tires, different springs / swaybars.

You can easily build the car that will have superior handling to PP2 (at the cost of NVH probably) but it's not going to be PP2.
Hey, I was in a hurry when I typed that, but yeah, it's a Torsen rear end, and I knew there was more, but time was ticking.

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
I bought a base GT planning to upgrade (as I saw fit) to PP1 options as needed. I track the car occasionally. I have since upgraded the brake pads and rotors (for track use, back to OE for the street) and added some brake ducts for cooling. Other than that, really, these cars are just fine.

If you absolutely must have a stiffer, more punishing ride and wider tires, then that's fine. But otherwise, IMHO it's just not worth it. Especially if you never plan to track it.

And yes, all you Magneride fans, I did a lot of comparison shopping/driving, and the PP1/PP2 with MR is still a bit stiffer, even in comfort mode, than the base suspension. IMHO of course. :)

So, my advice OP is to stick to what you've got right now and enjoy it. You're going to take a huge bath trading it in on a PP2 and it's going to cost a lot of money to "upgrade" it. Learn to appreciate what the car is, in its current state, and then use logic and reason to decide what (if anything) to upgrade.

GeorgeC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
I bought a base GT planning to upgrade (as I saw fit) to PP1 options as needed. I track the car occasionally. I have since upgraded the brake pads and rotors (for track use, back to OE for the street) and added some brake ducts for cooling. Other than that, really, these cars are just fine.

If you absolutely must have a stiffer, more punishing ride and wider tires, then that's fine. But otherwise, IMHO it's just not worth it. Especially if you never plan to track it.

And yes, all you Magneride fans, I did a lot of comparison shopping/driving, and the PP1/PP2 with MR is still a bit stiffer, even in comfort mode, than the base suspension. IMHO of course. :)

So, my advice OP is to stick to what you've got right now and enjoy it. You're going to take a huge bath trading it in on a PP2 and it's going to cost a lot of money to "upgrade" it. Learn to appreciate what the car is, in its current state, and then use logic and reason to decide what (if anything) to upgrade.
I threw a bunch of steeda suspension parts on my car and the handling change is night and day. I put on bigger wheels and tires that help handling and look great. All of this stuff cost me about 4500
To be a pp car I still need the brakes and radiator so you can do this but money wise I'm not sure it makes sense
I didn't want to sell the car and start over I probably would have replaced a lot of pp suspension parts
Good handling costs money good luck.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
.....If you absolutely must have a stiffer, more punishing ride and wider tires.......you Magneride fans, I did a lot of comparison shopping/driving, and the PP1/PP2 with MR is still a bit stiffer, even in comfort mode, than the base suspension.....
The ride, in "Normal" mode (there is no such thing as "Comfort" mode), is floating, and not even remotely close to "punishing". And the ride in Sport + or Track, while firmer, is also not in the least bit "punishing".

The Magneride does an astonishing job of handling road-rash, no matter what mode it is in.

OP; If you wanted the performance of a PP2 car, you should have bought a used (or new) PP2 somewhere, or a PP1 w/Magneride and Active Exhaust, and done Ford's Magneride handling kit and a set of PP2 wheels.

On the other hand, if all you want is the look, just find a set of PP2 wheels & tires somewhere.

OP
OP
gorgin4325

gorgin4325

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Want a PP2? Buy a PP2. You have no other good option.
Thanks for your advice!

Thanks for your response. I'm lucky if I go to the track 4 times a year. This will be my daily driver 99.9% of the time. However, I do like the wider stance (my Steeda spacers are nice, but not what I REALLY wanted!), and I also like to stiffen up the suspension a little. Especially because since its a stick, I tend to drive a little more aggressively than my previous car.

The fun begins! This is a great forum. So happy I found it.

Thank you

OP
OP
gorgin4325

gorgin4325

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I threw a bunch of steeda suspension parts on my car and the handling change is night and day. I put on bigger wheels and tires that help handling and look great. All of this stuff cost me about 4500
To be a pp car I still need the brakes and radiator so you can do this but money wise I'm not sure it makes sense
I didn't want to sell the car and start over I probably would have replaced a lot of pp suspension parts
Good handling costs money good luck.
I think I will probably do the same thing. One thing at a time, and enjoy the process.

Thank you

OP
OP
gorgin4325

gorgin4325

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
The ride, in "Normal" mode (there is no such thing as "Comfort" mode), is floating, and not even remotely close to "punishing". And the ride in Sport + or Track, while firmer, is also not in the least bit "punishing".

The Magneride does an astonishing job of handling road-rash, no matter what mode it is in.

OP; If you wanted the performance of a PP2 car, you should have bought a used (or new) PP2 somewhere, or a PP1 w/Magneride and Active Exhaust, and done Ford's Magneride handling kit and a set of PP2 wheels.

On the other hand, if all you want is the look, just find a set of PP2 wheels & tires somewhere.
Yes, I specifically wanted to avoid 3 things in my new purchase: 1) Magnaride, and 2) digital instrument cluster, and 3) 10-speed auto. I know it's strange to say this at the end of 2020, but I wanted a brand new Mustang as close to old-school as I could buy off the showroom floor. I got a black manual GT Premium with analog odometers. Now I can work on the "looks" and get it to exactly where I want it to be.

Thank you

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
I'm lucky if I go to the track 4 times a year.
OK then, to me that's enough to justify some improvement.

I think no one, not even @NoVaGT (who seems to disagree with everything I write) will argue that the brakes need some attention. The base GT calipers are just fine, and track pads (I have some for sale, hint, hint... LOL) will improve the performance a lot, but the rotors are the weak point, so you should probably plan on getting the PP1 brakes or other similar upgrade. I compromised by getting the Steeda rotors (which cool properly) and better pads, but I've found that our options are limited. There are a lot more options out there for the PP1 brakes. Just sayin'.

Enjoy the car!

Also, worth noting, a lot of these Mustang guys are just crazy mod-happy, and you can (as I did) find a lot of upgrades that someone has upgraded further (and replaced) in the classifieds section. Like my brake pads (hint, hint...). :)
Sponsored