Sponsored

Goodbye to Ford...2018 Mustang Gt ownership

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like what should be expected with a 10SPD trans. I'd imagine they hunt around a lot, since they've got a ton of gears to chose from.
Ford's programming on the F150 doesn't hunt. But it's a 2020 and the programming foul-ups of yesteryear are likely ironed out. I keep an eye on the gear selection display and it has yet to surprise me with an untoward move. Now cold and after sitting for a few days, the trans has trouble shifting the lower gears in a timely fashion for the first mile or so and when navigating at parking lots speeds. But after a few minutes it's all cleared up.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
our engine had no tick. It had direct injection, and they make a terrible racket.
I gotta hear your engine, because only on the smallest possible throttle (quiet cabin) can I hear the DI chatter.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
The A10 definitely has some issues... I only kept my F150 for 6 mo and gave up. It was so annoying to drive sometimes. I can see where he would just tire of living with it. The Chrysler 8 sp automatic is a great trans. It's really a ZF made in Germany. Can't blame him for not keeping a car that annoyed him every time he drove it.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I gotta hear your engine, because only on the smallest possible throttle (quiet cabin) can I hear the DI chatter.
From outside the car. Or driving slowly, next to something like a concrete barrier, windows down, when the DI is running.

I'm a smoker, so I start the car, then stand next to it smoking while it warms up. CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK.....then quiet.

Like you, under normal driving circumstances, it can't be heard. And when the engine is running in PFI, it's silent.

OP got obsessed, didn't take the time to look into things and educate himself.

Mad Horse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2018 Explorer Sport, 2013 Fusion
"There's 0 instances of people having issues with engines on 2018+ engines, unless they themselves fucked with the car. I don't know where you got that info, but it wasn't from here. And sometimes random missfires happen. If they cleared the code, and it went away and didn't return....well, there you are."

Um.....Not so much. I had to have an engine replaced in my bone stock 2019 due to cylinder wall scoring and excessive oil consumption. Engine was broken in acording to Fords recommendations. No drag racing or burnouts or other shenanigans. Others have had engines replaced as well. Luckilly I have a great dealer that went to bat for me.

Sponsored

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
That original post made me nervous about my car! The rest of you made me feel much better šŸ˜
Just like Smunczen said, sometimes there are lemon cars. It happens. I've got a 2018 PP1, flog it like I'm mad at it, store it outside, and love every mile. It might have a radio in it, I don't know, I just love listening to the engine. And when I park it, I look at it while I walk away and smile. If a car owner doesn't feel that way about his or her car - it's probably time to trade it in.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Um.....Not so much. I had to have an engine replaced in my bone stock 2019 due to cylinder wall scoring and excessive oil consumption. Engine was broken in acording to Fords recommendations. No drag racing or burnouts or other shenanigans. Others have had engines replaced as well. Luckilly I have a great dealer that went to bat for me.
I guess I've missed the hundreds and thousands of threads about GEN3s eating themselves, as well as your thread. My bad, writing "0 instances" was a poor choice. How many GEN3s are on the road?

There's always outliers, statistical exceptions to the rule. All manufacturers have bad engines here and there.

But there isn't wide-spread issues with the GEN3s like the OP suggested.

And just like I wrote; "Unless your engine is burning through tons of oil, there's no problem."

Last edited:

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
"There's 0 instances of people having issues with engines on 2018+ engines, unless they themselves fucked with the car. I don't know where you got that info, but it wasn't from here. And sometimes random missfires happen. If they cleared the code, and it went away and didn't return....well, there you are."

Yeah engines have failed. All cars experience engine failures. But fortunately there aren't a bunch of "another engine failure" threads. A bunch of my engine is ticking threads but that's different. It's amazing how many tuned\modded, supercharged and pushed to the max 2018's are out there and still running fine. My Audi started burning oil as soon as I threw a 93 tune on it.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I have to say, while I have already made the decision to sell my car in a couple years, I really can't complain about the quality. Yeah, I have 2k rattle, and it is annoying. But I haven't really had any issues otherwise. In 3k miles, I doubt I lost even half a quart of oil. I have 8600mi on the car, and over 6k of that is tuned running E85. Trans is notchy and not smooth at all, but still runs fine. The stereo to iphone link is still glitchy, but not bad enough to want a replacement. Overall, she has been driven hard and just keeps going. I am sure I will miss her a bit when she is gone, but I am falling in love with another.

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
Please. Shoot me in the face with the USS Iowa 16" main guns. Just end it.
Are you a dick all the time or just special occasions like "that time of the month". I've owned several of these Coyote powered S550 and it was much louder on the '18 than my '15. My sister has had several as well and my '18 was louder than her '16 or her 2020.

So what's your point?

Sponsored

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
I have to say, while I have already made the decision to sell my car in a couple years, I really can't complain about the quality. Yeah, I have 2k rattle, and it is annoying. But I haven't really had any issues otherwise. In 3k miles, I doubt I lost even half a quart of oil. I have 8600mi on the car, and over 6k of that is tuned running E85. Trans is notchy and not smooth at all, but still runs fine. The stereo to iphone link is still glitchy, but not bad enough to want a replacement. Overall, she has been driven hard and just keeps going. I am sure I will miss her a bit when she is gone, but I am falling in love with another.
On my car the 2k rattle was a plate under the car that they pulled off and put dampening bushings in and it fixed it. I don't own the car anymore but I can look to see if I have the repair invoice and give you the exact repair description.

Hell, even my new Shelby has a 2k rpm rattle coming from under the car. But it only does it cold in "Normal" mode. Go figure....

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Well... don't leave us hanging?

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Well... don't leave us hanging?
I am in love with the C8 Vette. I tried to fight it, but I can't. I bought the stang because of the new euro-ish styling. The C8 takes that to the next level. Closest thing I would ever want to something Italian.

CorvZ061

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
He had one electrical problem. And it was probably not a real issue. Someone probably didn't know how to properly use the un-lock pad, thought it was an iPhone swipe pad or something.

ETA; I have no clue on iPhones.....don't know how they unlock or anything. :cwl: :cwl:
Iā€™m saying he had minor annoyances with the GT. He moved into electrical gremlins with the FCA product. Iā€™ve got a lot of friends with Chargers and challengers, they all have electrical issues. Lol
Sponsored