Sponsored

Good roads to drive near Lenoir City/Loudon/Maryville/Sweetwater ?

Onewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ecoboost Premium Convertible
I just moved up to this area in late November and I'm looking for good/fun roads to drive within an hour or so of Lenoir City/Loudon/Maryville/Sweetwater. I'm familiar with 129/The Trail of the Donkey, but I'm not a big fan as it seems more like an autocross setup with way too many dangerous drivers on it. I love driving the Cherohala Skyway because of the higher speed sweeping turns and lack of traffic.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Sponsored

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S
OP
OP
Onewolf

Onewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S
I'd start on whatever end is closer to you, go to the other end, then drive back. The 116 part is good in both directions. You can get lunch and liquor at Brushy Mountain :)

OP
OP
Onewolf

Onewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did the drive from Brushy Mountain SP north on 116 two weekends ago. The first mile or two north of the prison is fairly hairy as it climbs the mountain. The middle section has some nice scenery and sweeping turns. There were a couple blind rise off camber sections that will get your attention. :) And then the last mile or 2 coming back down from 116 to 330 had some tight cutback downhill corners. It was a nice drive and worth the short drive to get up there from Lenoir City. I also stopped at the Jersey Mike's in Oak Ridge for lunch on the way back as it's the closest one to Lenoir City.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Onewolf

Onewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On Saturday morning I took a drive up to near Helenwood TN to scout kayak launch sites near the New River railroad bridge.

After scouting the railroad bridge I headed back towards Oak Ridge and my Android Auto Nav took me about 20 miles down "Norma Rd" to county road 116 (New River Hwy). The first 10 or so miles on Norma Rd was a typical tight/twisty drive in the hills of east TN. There was one place that had a blind rise with NO indication of where the road went so I had to crawl across the summit waiting to see where the road went. That's always exciting.

The last 10 miles or so became an unpaved gravel 1 car wide "goat path". I wish there was an Android Auto/Google Maps options to "use only paved roads" for when I'm driving the Moostang.

Here's what Norma's Goat Path looks like (except this section was missing the giant pot holes, washouts, and deep puddles that existed on a lot of the road.

346271928_262468099569066_8622411076447961010_n.jpg

Once I got down to Hwy 116 (New River Hwy) it was an enjoyable drive back east to Hwy 330. The east section where it descends down to 330 is an interesting section with all the tight switchbacks.

OP
OP
Onewolf

Onewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

G8rbcn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 & Audi A5 SB (RIP 2020 Explorer)
Love the Cherohala Skyway. Wayah Road west of Franklin up to Nantahala is a good drive and then “Moonshiner” 28 from east of Almond down to Franklin is also a good run. If you have time continue East to Highlands on 64 and then take 28 south into South Carolina.
Sponsored