WhinRR

WhinRR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
1988 Ford Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Mustang GT
Do the install yourself. I did mine, in my garage by myself. The hardest thing was setting the blower on the engine. I had a plywood shelf going from the drivers fender toward the engine, that I set the blower on, with the lid removed. I had a plywood shelf in front of the car extending into the engine compartment to kneel on so I could place the blower onto the engine. To help keep the harnesses and stuff clear of the area where the blower goes, I tied all of that stuff back.

Are you doing your oil pump gears and timing chain sprocket? I did mine in conjunction with the Whipple install.
I’m not doing opg or crank or timing chain sprocket.. I would definitely take to a shop if I was because they are easy to mess up and have heard of more failures due to install then I have from leaving stock.
Sponsored

Mantis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Sounds to me you have the expertise. This is for the gen2 couotes and 2.9l whipple but most of the steps will be the same

and done by your average joe.

tnk_2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT, 401A, auto, CS, Ford SS.
if the install cost is only $1500, I would let the shop do it. that is a very cheap price I think. in my area, professional install probably cost double that easily.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Do it yourself, it isn't difficult just time consuming. I wouldn't trust a shop either unless they have installed dozens of them. What if you have problems, will you have to take it back to them? More time, more money.

If they do it you won't learn anything and you will be beholden to them for their knowledge.

Do it!

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, the OPG gears are not that hard to do either. Check out this guy. He has other vids too that also show the timing process. Follow him and you can't go wrong.

Sponsored

OP
OP
WhinRR

WhinRR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
if the install cost is only $1500, I would let the shop do it. that is a very cheap price I think. in my area, professional install probably cost double that easily.
that’s is my thought tbh. I think the experience would be great to do myself because I’m sure there will be a time down the road it all needs ripped apart but I’m in school and work full time so don’t want to only spend a couple hours a week and run out of time before it’s time to get her back on road.

OP
OP
WhinRR

WhinRR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
If they do it you won't learn anything and you will be beholden to them for their knowledge.

Do it!
Honestly the experience gain is main reason I’m hesitant. I am looking between either Finish Line performance or Livernois and both reputations are extremely high and they do nothing but build fast cars. So I agree. Like I said before I just want to make sure it’s ready to rip in spring. I’m in Ohio and even this winter is killing me because driving the Mustang is my release

OP
OP
WhinRR

WhinRR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Sounds to me you have the expertise. This is for the gen2 couotes and 2.9l whipple but most of the steps will be the same

and done by your average joe.
I enjoy his videos. He’s a Ford mechanic too. I have heard horror stories of engines blowing because of gear installs not done 100% right and this makes me want to leave it to the pros. I am going to stay off limiter and hope it’s enough to keep engine happy for at least few years when I have another “I want more power” moment

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I enjoy his videos. He’s a Ford mechanic too. I have heard horror stories of engines blowing because of gear installs not done 100% right and this makes me want to leave it to the pros. I am going to stay off limiter and hope it’s enough to keep engine happy for at least few years when I have another “I want more power” moment
Just have your tuner get rid of the limiter all together. ;-)

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Talk to Brandon Alsept at BA Motorsports. He used to work at Finish Line Performance I believe. He has a ton of experience with these cars and I’m sure he’s done many whipple installs.

I did all the work on my previous mustang, but for some reason I may leave this whipple install to the professionals that do this everyday. No car project seems to ever go to plan for me...haha. I was quoted $1100 for install from a very reputable local shop.

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Talk to Brandon Alsept at BA Motorsports. He used to work at Finish Line Performance I believe. He has a ton of experience with these cars and I’m sure he’s done many whipple installs.

I did all the work on my previous mustang, but for some reason I may leave this whipple install to the professionals that do this everyday. No car project seems to ever go to plan for me...haha. I was quoted $1100 for install from a very reputable local shop.
$1100? That's crazy cheap. Is it your mom's boyfriend's shop or something?

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
$1100? That's crazy cheap. Is it your mom's boyfriend's shop or something?
Nope! Smaller shop, but the guy who runs it was a long time NMRA Renegade drag racer. Shop gets great reviews from the locals in the area. Hard to pass it up honestly.
Sponsored