Sponsored

Going up against a Camaro 2SS. What are my chances?

Ugly John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT PP
My next autocross is in early February. I have a GTPP, and I'll have Steeda fixed valve shocks and struts with the slotted struts. I'll still be wearing the stock Pirelli tires.

How competitive and I going to be against this car? Will it come down to driver skill? Or will it be like when I was running my 2015 V6 Mustang against a GTPP?

Oh, and we are both in FS.
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
My next autocross is in early February. I have a GTPP, and I'll have Steeda fixed valve shocks and struts with the slotted struts. I'll still be wearing the stock Pirelli tires.

How competitive and I going to be against this car? Will it come down to driver skill? Or will it be like when I was running my 2015 V6 Mustang against a GTPP?

Oh, and we are both in FS.
John - it takes at least years (from my own experience since I am nowhere close to that point) to be at the point where cars start to matter. Until then, driver all the way. It certainly is much much closer than V6 vs GT PP.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Too many unknowns (and I haven't autocrossed in 4 or 5 years).

But your chances are certainly going to be better if that 2SS is a 5th gen rather than a 6th. Better still if it's an early 5th gen, 2010-ish.

Norm

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Autocross is driver, then tires...

With that said, I've yet to see a fast Camaro of any generation at an autocross.
Emmm, should have come out to Wilmington Champ Tour - which was _the_ autocross event in the area. You would have seen plenty of '16s kicking everybody's ass.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
If the Camaro has 200 TW tires... that'll win it against your stock Pirelli. Not the car.

I don't do autocross much, but the two times I have in this car (both not official events, just a cone course setup at a larger event), I bested any Camaro that was present, including 2016s, on Cooper Zeon RS3-S tires. I think you have to be smooth and be willing to get in there right next to those cones where it matters. Don't be timid.

There are a lot of fast Camaros in autocross, though. They're a great platform (that you can't see out of).

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Long time autocrosser here and what matters most at a local level is the driver more than anything. Only at an expert level does setup and car factors really matter in the results.

Worry more about your own driving and performance. If chasing a faster competitor motivates you to do better then focus that energy on what mistakes you are making on course and potentially any adjustments you can make to your setup to improve the car. Don't get wrapped up in what car the competition is in.

jdub.csu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
If it is a decent driver with 200 tw tires he will lay down the times on you. Stock 2016 vs you it will be a drivers race.

Sponsored

qtrracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP Recaros; 86 GT 'Vert Pro-touring
Driver. It's surprising how much faster a smooth driver is then one who jerks the wheel and punches the throttle and brake. Upsetting the chassis is not the fast way around.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase

With that said, I've yet to see a fast Camaro of any generation at an autocross.
^ This

I've never been beaten in PAX or by raw time by any Camero or even any GT350 at a (local) autocross yet.... because tires (I spent $$$$ to have a set of RE71Rs) and driver (years of experience versus a couple years or less for the Camero and GT350 drivers I've run against).

OTOH, I have been beaten by all sorts of embarrassing cars, because driver.

"Its the Indian, not the arrow."

MadMB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang v6
Driver, out here some V6s can beat GT's all day. Depends on how comfortable you are at the limit. Good luck.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Agreed, but with no basis for comparing OP's skill level against his competition's or his tires against theirs, that brings it all down to the 'everything else' which would have to include the choice of car.

Norm
Sponsored