Sammy123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sammy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10 speed Auto
Thanks Ricker for all your help!

For those following, we got the lines sorted out. The biggest problem was the PMAS intake. This piece of garbage wouldn't fit at all. How can this be advertised for the cobra jet when it doesn't even fit?

- Doesn't clear with the coolant reservoir, even with trying to clear it.
- Plastic mouth doesn't mate with the VMP throttle body. Cant even try to stretch it because it's hard plastic. Junk.
- The filter housing is off by an inch or so. Like nobody did any measurements when designing this thing. Laughable this is advertised for 18+.

In the end I had to buy a ford cobra jet intake and overnight it.

I thought the motor mounts would be the hardest part but it was actually the easiest. Took only an hour to do, didn't have touch the headers or drop the cradle.

All the issues came we with the cobra jet manifold install itself.

- fuel rail needed to be bent for fitment and literally forced in
- Excess hoses with no clear direction on what goes where.
- PMAS shenanigans. Whoever sells this "cobra jet" intake with a straight face needs to be taken out for a good hiding.

OP
OP
Sammy123

Sammy123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sammy
Vehicle(s)
Ok everything has been installed, including Ford Performance cold air intake. The intake package by itself won't work because the housing doesn't fit a 2018, so I reused my JLT housing and it fit perfectly.

finish.jpg

However, the car has some issues. It will start up and then immediately die. The only way to get it to stay idle without shutting off is to raise the revs immediately after startup and hold it for a few seconds before bringing it back down. We thought it was just the computer needing to learn but the car will always start up and die regardless if it idles for 5 minutes or after a 15 minute drive.

I'm also getting the below check engine codes:

P0172 - System Too Rich
P0175 - System Too Rich
P050A - Cold Start Idle Air Control System Performance

I was able to drive the car home. It otherwise seems to drive normal, other than whenever the car is shut off and turned back on, it will just idle and die unless I hold the revs up. Those check engine lights wont go away either.

I did some datalogging and sent the logs to my tuner, however they're at some kind of mod nationals event so I'm not sure when they'll reply. Anyone seen this issue before after a cobra jet install?

NC85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Missing
I ordered Fore fuel rails for my 18 CJ setup. The rich codes hopefully can be tuned out. I didn't have those.

You are likely to have more misfire codes on startup with the CJ, but nothing major.

I used the PMAS with the VMP 69 and BMR engine brackets that lower the motor on the stock mounts. No NVH.

3k - 8200 is a ton of fun. You'll get it sorted.

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I ordered Fore fuel rails for my 18 CJ setup. The rich codes hopefully can be tuned out. I didn't have those.

You are likely to have more misfire codes on startup with the CJ, but nothing major.

I used the PMAS with the VMP 69 and BMR engine brackets that lower the motor on the stock mounts. No NVH.

Damn 8200?? Did you have to do OPG? Did you modify the PMAS to work with the VMP? OP couldn’t get it to fit.

Sponsored

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Ok everything has been installed, including Ford Performance cold air intake. The intake package by itself won't work because the housing doesn't fit a 2018, so I reused my JLT housing and it fit perfectly.

finish.jpg

However, the car has some issues. It will start up and then immediately die. The only way to get it to stay idle without shutting off is to raise the revs immediately after startup and hold it for a few seconds before bringing it back down. We thought it was just the computer needing to learn but the car will always start up and die regardless if it idles for 5 minutes or after a 15 minute drive.

I'm also getting the below check engine codes:

P0172 - System Too Rich
P0175 - System Too Rich
P050A - Cold Start Idle Air Control System Performance

I was able to drive the car home. It otherwise seems to drive normal, other than whenever the car is shut off and turned back on, it will just idle and die unless I hold the revs up. Those check engine lights wont go away either.

I did some datalogging and sent the logs to my tuner, however they're at some kind of mod nationals event so I'm not sure when they'll reply. Anyone seen this issue before after a cobra jet install?
Did your tuner give you a base tune for the FP intake with CJ?

NC85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Missing
Damn 8200?? Did you have to do OPG? Did you modify the PMAS to work with the VMP? OP couldn’t get it to fit.
At first I threw my purse at it, then I picked up my change and cut it lol!

No OPGs, run it.

Johnny631

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
19 a10 5.0 pp1

you still have misfire codes even after tune? Or ate you saying before the tune it will throw them

OP
OP
Sammy123

Sammy123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sammy
Vehicle(s)
Did your tuner give you a base tune for the FP intake with CJ?
I got a base tune for the CJ intake, VMP throttle body and PMAS intake. Only thing that changed was the PMAS intake swapped out for the Ford CAI.

Still waiting to hear from the tuner.

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I got a base tune for the CJ intake, VMP throttle body and PMAS intake. Only thing that changed was the PMAS intake swapped out for the Ford CAI.

Still waiting to hear from the tuner.
That’s your issue. Pretty sure there is a difference with the MAF readings due to the difference of the pipe diameter.

Sponsored

NC85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Missing
you still have misfire codes even after tune? Or ate you saying before the tune it will throw them
On E/CJ compared to the stock intake on E, I've found an increase in misfire codes, especially on startup. Nothing major, but its there more frequently. Maybe its due to the deleted runner plates in the CJ.

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
Why don't more people recommend these brackets versus lower mounts when doing the CJ? Seems the way to go to prevent increased NVH.

NC85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Missing
Why don't more people recommend these brackets versus lower mounts when doing the CJ? Seems the way to go to prevent increased NVH.
J,
Some people like doing things the hard way lol. That Loctite on the stock mounts was enough for me to avoid playing with a second time. Especially, after I installed longtubes.

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Sammy, I came across a FB post about the CJ intakes. Seems the FP intake is restricted when running any tb over twin 60s. Some guy ported the bellmouth ok the FP and saw better results from the intake. PMAS and large diameter intakes like 5” supposedly perform the best.

This image was a dyno between the FP and PMAS with a twin 67.
6CBB9044-3D72-4554-BC3D-F06AFA8157F2.jpeg
Sponsored