OrangeFury1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ivan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
502RWHP is a great number.

There is a connector that is beside the airbox that disconnects all the nannies.

This should be disconnected for dyno runs and is to be used with caution on the drag strip as your ABS, traction control and stability control will be disabled.
Tried this once. Did not work well with drag mode at all, was short shifting every single gear.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sammy123

Sammy123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sammy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10 speed Auto
Car feels really strong now.

So to recap:

476hp with stock manifold (plus long tubes, xpipe, E85, JLT CAI as starting mods)

469hp with ported stock manifold and ported oem throttle body (yes it made less)

489 hp with CJ manifold and VMP 69mm TB and Ford Performance CJ CAI

502 hp with Steeda Cobra Jet CAI instead of Ford's.

Pretty much done, hopefully this thread will serve as a template for others.

OrangeFury1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ivan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang

So to recap:

476hp with stock manifold (plus long tubes, E85, JLT CAI as starting mods)

469hp with ported stock manifold and ported oem throttle body (yes it made less)

Wow, that steeda box flows that much better?

Just bought the steeda box and vmp 69. Just need the Cobra Jet, hoping to find a good deal on a used ported one.

OP
OP
Sammy123

Sammy123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sammy
Vehicle(s)
Wow, that steeda box flows that much better?

Just bought the steeda box and vmp 69. Just need the Cobra Jet, hoping to find a good deal on a used ported one.
Yes the tubing is noticably larger with Steeda, it flows significantly more, and it's a closed intake so no crazy spikes in IAT's.

I was told by my tuner that the ford performance CJ CAI would potentially be a restriction for the CJ manifold on the 18+, this looks definitely to be true.

OrangeFury1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ivan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
Yes the tubing is noticably larger with Steeda, it flows significantly more, and it's a closed intake so no crazy spikes in IAT's.

I was told by my tuner that the ford performance CJ CAI would potentially be a restriction for the CJ manifold on the 18+, this looks definitely to be true.
I did notice that right away.

Wow that's interesting.

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10

So to recap:

476hp with stock manifold (plus long tubes, xpipe, E85, JLT CAI as starting mods)

Not to be a Debbie downer, but looking at your dyno curve, the 502 hp is actually a spike that occurs at 5,970 rpm. I don't think that's real power and is most likely an errant momentary reading on the dyno when whatever issue occured was resolved, and whatever issue caused a momentary surge, artificially inflating the peak power reading as a spike on the dyno. Discounting that spike, it doesn't really get much past 490 hp, maybe 493 rwhp.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Also, getting technical here, but the last dyno you showed, they measured the PS power, not hp. To get actual hp, you have to subtract approximately 1.4% from the PS power. So, discounting the 502 hp spike reading per my previous post, and assuming the actual PS power peak is 493 PS, the actual peak rwhp is about 486 rwhp. Your original dyno (472) was in hp. It's strange that with the CJ intake, the peak power occurs way below 7000 rpm (power is in a steady decline beginning at 6,000 rpm), I would expect the CJ intake to make peak power at around 7,500 rpm.

OP
OP
Sammy123

Sammy123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sammy
Vehicle(s)
I did a second pull after that and it went straight to 498 hp without any spikes, after a 2 minute cooldown. Forgot to take a pic of the second pull, these guys don't do printouts. Not gonna nitpick about numbers, but 500 plus or minus seems to be inline with the other CJ A10's running around. Yeah I know there are stock manifold cars that have also hit 500, but that power drops off like a cliff compared to the CJ. The CJ A10s are also running better times than stock manifold A10's, Rob just tuned one that went 10.8 @ 130 with basically the same mods as me (CJ intake, VMP TB, Steed CAI) and some minor weight reduction. PBD's own project car went mid 10's at 136 with the CJ manifold, though they had some serious weight reduction, down to 3200lbs. Eventually I'll take mines to see what it runs (I ran 11.78 @ 123 with a shitty launch on the stock manifold/oem throttle body), but I'm more interested in trap speeds because I love a good old highway pull (which Florida has plenty of). Flooring it the car pulls so damn hard from 4000 to 8000, feels way "in your seat" than when I was on the stock manifold with stock throttle body and JLT intake. I can even tell a difference between the Steeda CAI and the Ford Racing CJ CAI, especially in highway pulls up top.

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
I'm curious why the ported manifold made less power.

Glad you got everything ironed out. Switching from race gas/93 to E85, I had numerous issues with Trevor, especially his lack of feedback. Car barely made anymore power on renegade e85 than on 93 and still didn't drive near as well as it did. His 93 and race gas tunes were perfect though. Got rob involved and all is well now.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I did a second pull after that and it went straight to 498 hp without any spikes, after a 2 minute cooldown. Forgot to take a pic of the second pull, these guys don't do printouts. Not gonna nitpick about numbers, but 500 plus or minus seems to be inline with the other CJ A10's running around. Yeah I know there are stock manifold cars that have also hit 500, but that power drops off like a cliff compared to the CJ. The CJ A10s are also running better times than stock manifold A10's, Rob just tuned one that went 10.8 @ 130 with basically the same mods as me (CJ intake, VMP TB, Steed CAI) and some minor weight reduction. PBD's own project car went mid 10's at 136 with the CJ manifold, though they had some serious weight reduction, down to 3200lbs. Eventually I'll take mines to see what it runs (I ran 11.78 @ 123 with a shitty launch on the stock manifold/oem throttle body), but I'm more interested in trap speeds because I love a good old highway pull (which Florida has plenty of). Flooring it the car pulls so damn hard from 4000 to 8000, feels way "in your seat" than when I was on the stock manifold with stock throttle body and JLT intake. I can even tell a difference between the Steeda CAI and the Ford Racing CJ CAI, especially in highway pulls up top.
498 PS = 491 hp (since the 502 dyno showed PS, it's likely the 2nd pull after was also measuring PS). Still, glad you're happy w/ the results. Anyway, if it was me, I'd be very curious why the power starts trailing off at 6k rpm, instead of continuing to increase in power until past 7k rpm. I do think you should update your results post with apples to apples numbers (use hp instead of PS for the last pulls, and use the dyno #s w/out the spike).

Sponsored
OP
OP
Sammy123

Sammy123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sammy
Vehicle(s)
Just wanted to update that I'm still having issues with the Steeda CJ intake. The dying at idle issue actually came back, but not right away. It kinda snuck back in slowly over time.

Now, I'm getting maf codes (P0103) - Mass Air Flow MAF Circuit High. When this comes on the display showed a wrench with the message "see manual". The car also is undrivable, felt like the transmission had gone.Clearing the code and shutting the car off/ restarting it makes it drive normal again. This doesn't mean the MAF is bad does it?

I brought this to the attention to my tuner (Rob Shoemaker -- hopefully it stays with him this time and doesn't stray back to Trevor again, no offense to Treveor but trevor never has any answers when problems arise).

Rob straight out said to ditch the Steeda intake and go with JLT instead. He said he has had alot of customers report issues with that intake and their problems go away when switching to another one.

If I do go JLT CJ, man that would be the third intake for this car lol. Which sucks, because the steeda gave the best performance.

My only concern with JLT is that they don't market their CJ intake for 2018+ cars. It's marketed for 2011-2014, I don't know what the cruck I would have to do to make it fit on mine. Anyone has this combo?

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
Just wanted to update that I'm still having issues with the Steeda CJ intake. The dying at idle issue actually came back, but not right away. It kinda snuck back in slowly over time.

Now, I'm getting maf codes (P0103) - Mass Air Flow MAF Circuit High. When this comes on the display showed a wrench with the message "see manual". The car also is undrivable, felt like the transmission had gone.Clearing the code and shutting the car off/ restarting it makes it drive normal again. This doesn't mean the MAF is bad does it?

I brought this to the attention to my tuner (Rob Shoemaker -- hopefully it stays with him this time and doesn't stray back to Trevor again, no offense to Treveor but trevor never has any answers when problems arise).

Rob straight out said to ditch the Steeda intake and go with JLT instead. He said he has had alot of customers report issues with that intake and their problems go away when switching to another one.

If I do go JLT CJ, man that would be the third intake for this car lol. Which sucks, because the steeda gave the best performance.

My only concern with JLT is that they don't market their CJ intake for 2018+ cars. It's marketed for 2011-2014, I don't know what the cruck I would have to do to make it fit on mine. Anyone has this combo?
Its gotta be your tune. There are others, in this thread even, that are running the Steeda intake with no issues. And the one guy has now added cams and still no issues. Have you gone back and rechecked your install to make sure you don't have vacuum leaks, etc.

Troy Carter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Its gotta be your tune. There are others, in this thread even, that are running the Steeda intake with no issues. And the one guy has now added cams and still no issues. Have you gone back and rechecked your install to make sure you don't have vacuum leaks, etc.
I have the Steeda CAI and Trevor's tune but I've only been able to drive the car enough to get the tune logs done. So, I don't rightfully know if it will have issues in some situations but so far it's been fairly stable. It seems like they have the idle cranked up pretty high when not under load (i.e. in gear) but in gear it seems to settle down and work fine.

I'll report back if I get the chance to drive it more but the forcast around here isn't exactly great this time of year.

OP
OP
Sammy123

Sammy123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sammy
Vehicle(s)
I have the worst luck, it's like anything bad that can happen, does happen :cwl:.

Here's my convo with Rob (attached).

Based on his recommendations I just went ahead and ordered a JLT intake. I called them and sent me a customized kit for my 2018, including different couplers and clamps I will need. I can reuse my leftover JLT airbox I had before, so my cost was actually $233 shipped
message.PNG
message2.PNG

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Tried this once. Did not work well with drag mode at all, was short shifting every single gear.
Pulling plug kills drag mode (on drag mode equipped cars). Kinda silly because a “tuned” non drag mode car can run great with it unplugged. Mines been unplugged for 5000 miles straight. Lol.
Sponsored