Sponsored

Go to the dealership for oil change or mechanic?

Jnaszty559

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerardo
Vehicle(s)
2005 mustang v6
So I plan on doing my first oil change on my new 21 mustang GT, but I'm wondering where do you guys get your oil changed at ? I want to go to the dealership for Warranty reasons so they have it in their system. I'm wondering also how much they charge, since oil is pretty expensive now a days.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jnaszty559

Jnaszty559

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerardo
Vehicle(s)
2005 mustang v6
I understand you wanting to have documentation that you're doing oil changes, but that can be done simply by keeping receipts. You should learn how to and do your own oil changes.
i feel like dealerships will find any way not to fix your car , so doing it yourself, they can simply say you did it incorrectly or did a faulty job.

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
The dealership doesn't care where you get your oil changed, just so much that you do at whatever maintenance level that you determine to be comfortable with. If you bring it in with engine troubles and have gone 47k between oil changes... they might notice the oil looking like hot tar when they take it apart.

Your usage will vary, and temperature matters too, case and point, I change my oil every 4-6 weeks, and I drive less than 1k miles a month. Why? Because I also race and drive the shit out of it, my 500 miles are easily harder than your 5000, in WoT the majority of the time. When you change it, you get to see how clean, dark and sludgy, and how much dirt or metal is coming out with it, and if you really care, get a oil filter cutter and take a look at what's sitting in there as well.
1649045392460.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jnaszty559

Jnaszty559

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerardo
Vehicle(s)
2005 mustang v6
The dealership doesn't care where you get your oil changed, just so much that you do at whatever maintenance level that you determine to be comfortable with. If you bring it in with engine troubles and have gone 47k between oil changes... they might notice the oil looking like hot tar when they take it apart.

Your usage will vary, and temperature matters too, case and point, I change my oil every 4-6 weeks, and I drive less than 1k miles a month. Why? Because I also race and drive the shit out of it, my 500 miles are easily harder than your 5000, in WoT the majority of the time. When you change it, you get to see how clean, dark and sludgy, and how much dirt or metal is coming out with it, and if you really care, get a oil filter cutter and take a look at what's sitting in there as well.
1649045392460.png
What oil do you recommend? OEM?

Sponsored

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
G
Go with OEM oil and recommendations. Or any of the top brands that meet factory specs. Can't go wrong.

If at all possible, change the oil yourself. Anytime your car is in someone else's hands, the chances of problems multiply.

Be careful, you are lighting the fuse on an oil thread.:cwl::angry:

Last edited:

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Worth a watch, make your own conclusion -- -- Obviously not all lines and brands are tested. This'll open a huge batch of everybody talking about what they run, but watch to the end and realize that for most, they're all about the same. Get what is the best for you and at a pricepoint you can live with.

Not that it entirely matters, but I run Castrol Edge in my Tahoe because it's only $22/5QT, does just fine for that at $4/qt... if Mobil 1 is on sale and I get a free coozy or beach cooler with speakers, I'll grab one of those. They're all the same really. My race car is $20/liter, and given the cost of a new engine, I'll take my chances with that stuff, and highly advise against it to the kids taking pictures at gas station pumps, or like racing from a roll a few times a week.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jnaszty559

Jnaszty559

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerardo
Vehicle(s)
2005 mustang v6
G

Go with OEM oil and recommendations. Or any of the top brands that meet factory specs. Can't go wrong.

If at all possible, change the oil yourself. Anytime your car is in someone else's hands, the chances of problems multiply.

Be careful, you are lighting the fuse on an oil thread.:cwl::angry:
Well I had an 2005 mustang , so should be the same process right? Never worked in a gen 3

OP
OP
Jnaszty559

Jnaszty559

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerardo
Vehicle(s)
2005 mustang v6
Worth a watch, make your own conclusion -- -- Obviously not all lines and brands are tested. This'll open a huge batch of everybody talking about what they run, but watch to the end and realize that for most, they're all about the same. Get what is the best for you and at a pricepoint you can live with.

Not that it entirely matters, but I run Castrol Edge in my Tahoe because it's only $22/5QT, does just fine for that at $4/qt... if Mobil 1 is on sale and I get a free coozy or beach cooler with speakers, I'll grab one of those. They're all the same really. My race car is $20/liter, and given the cost of a new engine, I'll take my chances with that stuff, and highly advise against it to the kids taking pictures at gas station pumps, or like racing from a roll a few times a week.
Iā€™ll take a look šŸ‘€. Any filter will work fine right?

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
I've heard enough anecdotes of folks getting 8 quarts at the dealership when we need 10 that I don't trust anyone. I have a nice Ronin drain valve, so it's no muss/no fuss to just do it myself and I know exactly what oil I have and at what quantity. New Motorcraft filter, and I'm good for another 5000 miles and I know it was done right.

Sponsored

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, pretty much.

Like before, you're going to realize that they're all somewhat pretty much the same, as long as you get one that fits. There are a bunch of people complaining because they can't get the Ford Performance one, but c'mon, they're all pretty much the same.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Go with Motorcraft . I use Amsoil when I can't find Motorcraft. Youtube has lot's of great videos on this. It's a bit different than the 2005 but not much.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
If you're capable, I think the best job is always done doing it yourself. You have a vested interest in the car. The person doing the oil change does not.

An additional concern is how the car will be treated in their hands (scratches from tools, belt buckles, grease prints, etc.)

Dealerships will always use any service as an opportunity to upsell for "required" maintenance. "Your car's going to fall apart the moment you leave if you don't have this done!" Those advances can be easily fended off, but they are a PITA.

Follow Ford's recommendations for oil type and service interval and you'll be fine. As others have pointed out, save receipts, maybe keep a log book.

If for whatever reason you do take it to a dealer or mechanic, do a walk-around of the car before leaving it in their hands, making it clear you expect to receive it EXACTLY the same way you left it.

A friendly reminder it's 10 quarts might also be a good idea.

If you do have someone you find/use that is great and you can trust, for any service or business, I think it's always a good idea to make clear your appreciation (good review, tips, donuts, etc.)

Last edited:

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
I want to go to the dealership for Warranty reasons so they have it in their system. I'm wondering also how much they charge, since oil is pretty expensive now a days.
A dealer does my oil changes. It cost about $60. I check the oil level and make sure they put the cap back on before I drive off.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I also take mine to the dealer. Fortunately, the oil change bay is right behind the glass in the service waiting room. The Service manager allows me to verify the tech has the correct oil and 10 quarts of 5w50 full synthetic....(supercharged). It typically cost around $160-180. Sure, I could change it myself but since I don't have to worry about disposal, and I can observe what is going on, I let them do it. Now if my dealership was known for bad oil changes, I would probably do it myself or find another one. With that having been said; twice they had new oil change techs and both times they put in 5w20 and had to change it again immediately; thus the reason the SM allows me to verify. The tech they have now, knows I will check and brings the bottles up to the service window for me to clearly see.
Sponsored