Sponsored

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
After years of building, upgrading, and spec'ing rigs I got tired of it. Watch a month of work go from beyond recommended to meets recommended to somewhere between recommended and minimum while the console guys enjoyed the almost same game without a blink.

Sometimes it's just nice to buy a game that you know you don't need to upgrade anything to play. And for the record, buggy software exists on both sides so that isn't a factor as much. You win some, you lose some.
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
After years of building, upgrading, and spec'ing rigs I got tired of it. Watch a month of work go from beyond recommended to meets recommended to somewhere between recommended and minimum while the console guys enjoyed the almost same game without a blink.

Sometimes it's just nice to buy a game that you know you don't need to upgrade anything to play. And for the record, buggy software exists on both sides so that isn't a factor as much. You win some, you lose some.
Also that hasn't been an issue for almost a decade now

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Skyrim, Skyrim, and Skyrim :giggle:

For real though, Doom and Doom Eternal are installed on every machine in the house. Bethesda games are also stand-by's (really looking forward to Starfield). Number three is a revolving door of whatever I'm playing at the moment. I'm all over the place with games. There's too many to list without going more specific.
I havenā€™t played Doom in like forever. Always a favorite of mine. I honestly didnā€™t know they were still making versions of it. Or are these older versions?

mysta_sandman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Domenic
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
After reading that Microsoft acquired Bethesda, my wife and I both said we need to build towers. Of course, this was in the middle of the GPU price gouging thing so we hit up microcenter.

Walked away with a pretty solid prebuilt tower with a 1660 Super and I5 and we can comfortably run Fallout on Ultra heavily modded and some COD on High without huge FPS drop.

I'll still use my ps4 but the tower blows it out of the water. Mind you, I've been out of the PC World since Diablo II so this is solid enough for me lol

20210823_215245.jpg

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Skyrim, Skyrim, and Skyrim :giggle:

For real though, Doom and Doom Eternal are installed on every machine in the house. Bethesda games are also stand-by's (really looking forward to Starfield). Number three is a revolving door of whatever I'm playing at the moment. I'm all over the place with games. There's too many to list without going more specific.
Have you played the quake remaster yet? It's awesome. Uses the vulkan API and has coop.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Also that hasn't been an issue for almost a decade now
Yeah I agree, I've been using the same gaming laptop since 2014. Granted I don't play the latest FPS games, because they don't interest me. Only recently has my rig started to show its age. But I can play the Total War games (including 3 Kingdoms) fine.

Last edited:

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Yes. Works great with my 5950X. The XMP on my RAM kit wouldn't post (64BG 4000mhz CAS16). I'm running a tight 3800mhz now with great performance gains over the automatic settings for 3800.

The Series X just came out, and is illustrating the typical terrible Microsoft naming convention. The Xbox equivalent of the PS4 Pro would be the Xbox One X (not confusing at all). If you were using controllers from that era, they are the Xbox One controller, not the Xbox Series controller. Again, not confusing at all. I can't speak to how well they work/hold up. I do know that my Xbox Series controller feels great, and works flawlessly with Windows 10 games.

For reference here's the progression of Xbox consoles:

Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox One (with Xbox One S and Xbox One X being the mid-cycle refresh variants)
Xbox Series X/S (S targets 1080p, X is for 2160p)

Meanwhile Sony, while not particularly creative, nailed the branding:

PS1
PS2
PS3
PS4 (with PS4 Pro as mid-cycle refresh)
PS5

64GB here...

I use it for work, I swear :crackup:

The Doom I'm referencing is the 2016 reboot. Absolute must play game. Doom Eternal is the follow-up to that game, and came out in 2020. It might be the pinnacle of the FPS genre, and is essentially Doom 2016 turned up to 11. It's absolutely incredible. It's also punishingly brutal to play. You are forced to think and react faster than you think is possible. But it will drive you to do so. Mastering the art of demon slaying in that game is so satisfying.

Drop whatever you are doing right now and play these games.

Drop it!
You like them that much huh? Doom is 5 bucks and eternal is 15 on steam right now. Was thinking of picking them up but I'm on my... idk, fifth? Attempt at trying to beat AC Odyssey.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I never got into the Ass Creeds. Reading how empty and repetitive they seem to be, I'm not sure I've really missed out. The best description I've heard for them is "games where you fuck a map".

Absolutely get the Doom games, especially if they're that cheap. I'll also suggest an alternative to buying them individually, check out Gamepass instead.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass/pc-games

1st month is $1. That's more than enough time to beat both games. Plus, there's a huge catalog of other games on there. I'll freely admit to being a Gamepass evangelist, but it really is a no brainer deal.

It's Netflix, but for games. It isn't streaming though, you still install them locally. Cloud saves, achievements, multiple devices, etc.
I'll have to look into gamepass, especially since more games are coming to pc. My buddy also talks highly of the doom games and I enjoyed 3 a lot, back in the day.

And the ac games were good before they gave into the open world crap. I enjoyed them up until unity, then skipped the rest until odyssey and got that because I'm a big greek/spartan nerd. It's been alright but I keep losing interest. But I'm honestly struggling to beat most games now a days.

I also just stopped playing days gone after nearing the end. Sekiro and witcher 3 are the last two games I bothered seeing to completion, let alone a second playthrough. Kinda depressing tbh.

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
Consoles ainā€™t got nothing on this . Custom built by me from the ground up.

-Asus ROG VIII Hero X570 mono
- AMD 3950x cpu
-ASUS ROG 2080 TI STRIX
-64 GB RAM
-EVGA supernova 1300 watt PSU
- 2TB Corsair NVME drives pci Gen 4
-Custom EK cooling loop. CPU / GPU two 120x3 rads EK distro plate.
-ASUS ROG PG35VQ @ 200 HZ
- Case Lian Li 011 dynamic XL

3F4E81AF-EA86-4482-A1BE-F2F3FC88E635.jpeg

3ECA61EC-45E9-490D-93D4-8F8C0CD873B3.jpeg

7EBF6A9F-E211-45E5-BE46-12DC5C1AFA44.jpeg

38BAE2AA-B8AD-443E-A5C7-5933E6937BDE.jpeg

0E9E0043-D7D5-4DBA-8A38-CF9AA7AA2D8F.jpeg

6C8E9CF9-F6A3-4BED-9A50-0EE7871E15A7.jpeg

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I was a PC gamer and developer for many years, dating back to the days of Quake 1. I would still be playing on PCs if I had anyone to play with. For me, the best thing about PC games was you hosted your own games and didn't have to rely on a console server and pay monthly fees. The other thing I liked about PC games is I could do tons of mods. Unfortunately, everyone I played with is now too old or dead. I still love playing games, but I had to switch to XBox because I can play co-op games with family members. My reflexes and coordination are too slow for playing with others.

I still get requests for help with game engines I used to work on nearly 20 years ago. Quake 2/3 engine variants are still alive in a lot of gaming circles. I used to love to add and modify weapons in Borderlands 1 and 2 and various MOH and COD releases. I had some software that allowed me to modify XBox games but that ended with XBox 360. MOH Death matches in outer space with lasers were a blast!

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now many games support cross play play where PC and consoles can play against each otherā€™s. Works well in latest COD
Depends on what games you are talking about, cross play is a thing with Fortnite, and the Final Fantasy MMOs. The upcoming Battlefield game might have it but I haven't been following the news for it.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm using the last generation of the xbox one controller and it's been great. It's survived my abuse through sekiro without a hitch. Well, that's a lie. One of the wires got stuck in the right bumper so I had to take it apart and move it back in place. But it's been fine since. Maybe try snagging one of those.
Okay yah I misspoke, it was the Xbox one that I had, but it was that expensive diamond one that was a huge piece of crap. It broke when I was playing For Honor, things got hot and heavy trying to counter and spam light attacks :giggle:

The other controller I have that came with the Xbox One X works fine but the power supply is messed up. I hate that it runs off of batteries and you can't just plug it in like the PlayStation. I bought some charger adapter and it really is a POS. Will look into PS5 controller or the new Xbox one once I get assemble my PC and get Devil May Cry 5

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I plug my Series controller in. No latency, no worry about batteries. The DualSense (PS5) is really cool, but there are some caveats. A lot of people are experiencing stick drift. It also isn't as straightforward to use with Windows as the Xbox controller. Plus, there's this:

https://xboxdesignlab.xbox.com/

It's stupid, but also really fun :crackup:

If my controller dies, I'm totally making a custom replacement.
Yeah, the software is way more compatible, for the PS3 I had to download some software and do extra stuff to get it to work, basically had to tell windows to recognize the PS3 controller as an Xbox one šŸ¤£ You dont have to do anything like that since its all Windows.

So you didn't have to buy a rechargeable battery pack or anything? Definitely will get one then. I really liked the reinforced rubber on the Xbox One X diamond controller for the extra grip. Just checked out that website, thats actually really cool. I just checked the prices and regular controller go for ~$60, so the $70 price isn't a that much of a price hike, I might get one šŸ˜

Btw what's up with the Dual Sense? I haven't looked into it because I stopped looking into getting a PS5. I see people bitching about it or talking about it. Is it supposed to be like SIxaxis for the PS3? Sixaxis was dumb as hell.
Sponsored