Sponsored

glaze, sealant, and wax job, safe to wax plastic metallic grey spoiler?

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
Doing a pretty serious detail job on the M1, I never applied any glazes or wax to the spoiler, just cleaned it thoroughly. Do you guys wax this too?

What about protection for the stripes?

Any thoughts on off the shelf products to use on the running boards and front spoiler? back to black trim restorer perhaps...?

Search function found some good recommendations for polishes for the exhaust tips, feel free to respond with your favorite polish, my pipes are needing some attention.

Here is what the old owners manual says on these topics: starts page 291.

Exterior Plastic Parts For routine cleaning we recommend Motorcraft Detail Wash. If tar or grease spots are present, we recommend Motorcraft Bug and Tar Remover.

Do not allow wax to come in contact with any non-body (low-gloss black) colored trim. The wax will discolor or stain the parts over time. • Roof racks. • Bumpers. • Grained door handles. • Side moldings. • Mirror housings. • Windshield cowl area.

Exterior Chrome Parts • Apply a high quality-cleaning product to bumpers and other chrome parts. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions. We recommend Motorcraft Custom Bright Metal Cleaner. • Do not apply the cleaning product to hot surfaces. Do not leave the cleaning product on chrome surfaces longer than the time recommended. • Using non-recommended cleaners can result in severe and permanent cosmetic damage.

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I am sure a lot of people use some type of ceramic coatings on those parts you mentioned. I use Car Pro Delux on the exterior plastic parts.

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
X2 on @m3incorp comment. Carpro Dlux is perfectly safe for exterior trims

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
My car is ceramic coated but you should be able to treat the rear wing like any other painted surface. Anything you do to the stripes I would apply by hand only, no machine near them. For the plastic and rubber trim I use adams vrt applied with an applicator sponge. Not overly glossy but it stays new looking.

58F8C10C-9159-41F7-91CA-50084E522D16.png

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I use the Chemical Guys VRP on the tires. It says it is for use on plastic also but haven't tried it yet. Funny how so many of the names for products are simliar and so are what they are supposed to do for us. lol.

Sponsored

BadHabit2Break

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
ChemicalGuys.eu-detailing-flow-chart.jpg

Here is a flow chart to help you through the process. I use CG products with great success.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
I don't know if to think you have issues or if you are a genius....of course often the two mean the same thing. 🆗️

ChemicalGuys.eu-detailing-flow-chart.jpg

Here is a flow chart to help you through the process. I use CG products with great success.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
The instructions describe how to apply if you want it to be glossy and how to apply if you don't want the glossy look. Mine doesn't look glossy, just clean.

Did the ceramics make the plastics gloss up or remain flat in appearance?

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
It remains matte, not glossy in any way on my car after ceramics on the hood stripe.
It'll be the same for matte paint on the spoiler or near brake ducts. Those can be waxed too.
The other unpainted plastic parts need to be avoided at all costs (especially with carnauba waxes etc), best to use masking tape on them.

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Having used DLUX on mine, can confirm the finish remains flat/matte, although it will add some depth and some slight sheen.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Doing a pretty serious detail job on the M1, I never applied any glazes or wax to the spoiler, just cleaned it thoroughly. Do you guys wax this too?

What about protection for the stripes?

Any thoughts on off the shelf products to use on the running boards and front spoiler? back to black trim restorer perhaps...?

Search function found some good recommendations for polishes for the exhaust tips, feel free to respond with your favorite polish, my pipes are needing some attention.
For the black plastic trims, you have a couple of options.

The first would be to use a dressing such as 303 Protectant. This is a water based dressing that will last 5 - 6 weeks. I like 303 the best of these sort of products as it applies so easily with minimal rubbing/buffing to get a nice finish. 303 also have a UV inhibitor to protect the plastic material.

IMG-2802.jpg

Next, you could use one of the many spray ceramic sealants. P&S Bead Maker or Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Detailer for example. In my case, I have used CarPro Reload in the past. These will last about 6 months.

IMG_4868.jpg

IMG_4869.jpg

The longest term solution would be to apply a Ceramic Coating suitable for plastics such as CarPro DLUX. This will last 2 years.

IMG-6860.jpg

IMG-6873.jpg

For exhaust tips, I use P21S Polishing Soap. Very easy and convenient to use while washing your car. I do this once or twice a year to keep them to spec.

exh3.jpg

exh4.jpg

OP
OP

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
For the black plastic trims, you have a couple of options.

The first would be to use a dressing such as 303 Protectant. This is a water based dressing that will last 5 - 6 weeks. I like 303 the best of these sort of products as it applies so easily with minimal rubbing/buffing to get a nice finish. 303 also have a UV inhibitor to protect the plastic material.

IMG-2802.jpg

Next, you could use one of the many spray ceramic sealants. P&S Bead Maker or Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Detailer for example. In my case, I have used CarPro Reload in the past. These will last about 6 months.

IMG_4868.jpg

IMG_4869.jpg

The longest term solution would be to apply a Ceramic Coating suitable for plastics such as CarPro DLUX. This will last 2 years.

IMG-6860.jpg

IMG-6873.jpg

For exhaust tips, I use P21S Polishing Soap. Very easy and convenient to use while washing your car. I do this once or twice a year to keep them to spec.

exh3.jpg

exh4.jpg
That is a good looking engine bay! I have the Dlux on the way for the trim, P21S arrived yesterday. Thanks all for recommendations.

OP
OP

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
So little bit of a surprise curveball came out on my weekend detail. I already applied Chemical Guys Glossworkz glaze, which I have used on a few cars and I like it a lot. Glossworkz Brings out some gloss and color depth, giving the paint a nice warm glow to it, highly recommend. Next I applied Chemical Guys "Jet Seal" Sealant, and to my surprise I was not only disappointed but quite irritated. Couple of caveats upfront, this may easily have been user error on my part, it was my first time using a sealant, and it got cooler in the day pretty quickly about 60F. According to instructions I applied the jet seal with an applicator by hand in the shade, and let the product sit for 30mins before buffing out by hand with new clean microfiber towel. As the product sits some of it does flash off and disappear but the heavy spots haze and you simply buff off... Only it didn't come off easily I had to buff and buff and buff some with pressing gusto to buff it off. Not an easy application. In many places it was damn stubborn, and was smudgy, the rest of the car didn't look all that hot either. Infact it looked worse than before I put it on. Guys I kept at the buffing for quite a time, this was no lazy quick job. Anyways I did the best I could, slept on it and planned to wax today with Chemical Guys "Butter Wet Wax"

I pulled the car out of the garage, and the smudges crawled up my back side. I didn't like how the car looks at all. To me I have lost some of the depth and warmth the Glossworkz gave. Now I was pissed off so I washed the car at the car wash to try and clean Jet seal stuff off and rid myself of the smudges which it did. A lot of people would are going to like wow that's pretty anal and overboard on my part, but I didn't like the look. I'm sure 95 out of 100 people would have left it as is.

For those that like CG Jet Seal, and has worked for them, I'm happy for you seriously. I know everyone has their own brand loyalties and preference. I like seeing a good looking ride no matter who's it is. But for me, that stuff went right in the garbage and it wasn't cheap. Buyer beware, I will sing the praises of glossworkz all day but Jet Seal is a hard pass. Now I'm divided on even trying out their "Butter Wet Wax" at all.

Another thing, I got online and checked out product reviews after my experience, and most were happy with it, though I did see a few ranking it on the lower end of their choices, this one video in particular I found interesting.

I really wanted to have this done this weekend, I have a track day on Dec 11th and I want this car ready.

Anyone else want to admit a time you had a bummer experience detailing?

Last edited:

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
So little bit of a surprise curveball came out on my weekend detail. I already applied Chemical Guys Glossworkz glaze, which I have used on a few cars and I like it a lot. Glossworkz Brings out some gloss and color depth, giving the paint a nice warm glow to it, highly recommend. Next I applied Chemical Guys "Jet Seal" Sealant, and to my surprise I was not only disappointed but quite irritated. Couple of caveats upfront, this may easily have been user error on my part, it was my first time using a sealant, and it got cooler in the day pretty quickly about 60F. According to instructions I applied the jet seal with an applicator by hand in the shade, and let the product sit for 30mins before buffing out by hand with new clean microfiber towel. As the product sits some of it does flash off and disappear but the heavy spots haze and you simply buff off... Only it didn't come off easily I had to buff and buff and buff some with pressing gusto to buff it off. Not an easy application. In many places it was damn stubborn, and was smudgy, the rest of the car didn't look all that hot either. Infact it looked worse than before I put it on. Guys I kept at the buffing for quite a time, this was no lazy quick job. Anyways I did the best I could, slept on it and planned to wax today with Chemical Guys "Butter Wet Wax"

I pulled the car out of the garage, and the smudges crawled up my back side. I didn't like how the car looks at all. To me I have lost some of the depth and warmth the Glossworkz gave. Now I was pissed off so I washed the car at the car wash to try and clean Jet seal stuff off and rid myself of the smudges which it did. A lot of people would are going to like wow that's pretty anal and overboard on my part, but I didn't like the look. I'm sure 95 out of 100 people would have left it as is.

For those that like CG Jet Seal, and has worked for them, I'm happy for you seriously. I know everyone has their own brand loyalties and preference. I like seeing a good looking ride no matter who's it is. But for me, that stuff went right in the garbage and it wasn't cheap. Buyer beware, I will sing the praises of glossworkz all day but Jet Seal is a hard pass. Now I'm divided on even trying out their "Butter Wet Wax" at all.

Another thing, I got online and checked out product reviews after my experience, and most were happy with it, though I did see a few ranking it on the lower end of their choices, this one video in particular I found interesting.

I really wanted to have this done this weekend, I have a track day on Dec 11th and I want this car ready.

Anyone else want to admit a time you had a bummer experience detailing?
Don't beat yourself up over it, sometimes things like that happen. It's especially frustrating when the result doesn't match the effort put in.

Despite them both being Chemical Guys products, I'm guessing those two don't play well with each other. I have had similar things happen when mixing and matching different products and manufacturers.
Sponsored