Sponsored

Gibson Catback?

Jared_J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
My next mod is going to be catback exhaust, and I find myself like the tone of Gibson a lot more than anything else, including Borla's. And it's a third cheaper than Borla's catback! I'm just a bit concerned with the drone. Anyone has the experience with Gibson's exhaust?
One more question, is there any performance gain from the "Ceramic Slash Cut Intercooled Tips" other than looks? I don't like the idea to pay $120 more just for a pair of blackened tips...
Thanks!
Sponsored

5SS0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kais
Vehicle(s)
15 Triple Yellow Cyclone AT & 15 Silver Coyote MT
I've had Gibson since January. Yea for me it's one of the best sounding exhaust for the V6 I love it and I've had many compliments. The drone is there for sure and that's the only downside (I think around 1800-2000 rpm) but it doesn't bother me it's not bad at all and it really cannot be avoided with a deep sounding exhaust. The sound is worth it IMO and my favorite thing about this exhaust is the downshifts (amazing). Almost sounds like an older Lamborghini Gallardo (not kidding :D). Borla is better quality of course and no drone but Gibson sounds just as good (a bit deeper) and it costs less. The Gibson is comparable to the Borla S-type I think because the ATAK seems louder than Gibson. The black tips is just for looks of course, but they look really good (best looking tips in the market IMO). The Borla tips are smaller. Both have advantages and disadvantages but basically the difference is in the price, drone, and tips because they both sound amazing.
[ame]

Jon|3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' 3.7 Mustang
Damn does sound good

I am looking into the s type but the black tips on the Gibson might change my mind so much better looking

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
I am a fan! Those sound throaty and rasp free. The way a Mustang should be... IMO

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
Is the gibson 2.5"?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jared_J

Jared_J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Thanks a lot for the info! I'm a little bit let down by the fact that it has some drone at 1800-2000rpm, which correspond to 70-75mph for 3.15 gear. But I listened to S-type again, still think Gibson sounds much sportier and just love that tone!

I've had Gibson since January. Yea for me it's one of the best sounding exhaust for the V6 I love it and I've had many compliments. The drone is there for sure and that's the only downside (I think around 1800-2000 rpm) but it doesn't bother me it's not bad at all and it really cannot be avoided with a deep sounding exhaust. The sound is worth it IMO and my favorite thing about this exhaust is the downshifts (amazing). Almost sounds like an older Lamborghini Gallardo (not kidding :D). Borla is better quality of course and no drone but Gibson sounds just as good (a bit deeper) and it costs less. The Gibson is comparable to the Borla S-type I think because the ATAK seems louder than Gibson. The black tips is just for looks of course, but they look really good (best looking tips in the market IMO). The Borla tips are smaller. Both have advantages and disadvantages but basically the difference is in the price, drone, and tips because they both sound amazing.

OP
OP
Jared_J

Jared_J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
cant always have your cake and eat it too....id happily live with a little drone to get the sound im after.

5SS0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kais
Vehicle(s)
15 Triple Yellow Cyclone AT & 15 Silver Coyote MT
Damn does sound good
I am looking into the s type but the black tips on the Gibson might change my mind so much better looking
Yea the black tips look great. They're not glossy like in the pic vendors have. More like matte black. Here is a pic from a low angle:
2090.jpg

My next step is to paint the base diffuser black or plasti dip.

I am a fan! Those sound throaty and rasp free. The way a Mustang should be... IMO
:thumbsup: and they sound much better in person. I used my LG G3 camera for that video so the audio quality is not great.

Thanks a lot for the info! I'm a little bit let down by the fact that it has some drone at 1800-2000rpm, which correspond to 70-75mph for 3.15 gear. But I listened to S-type again, still think Gibson sounds much sportier and just love that tone!
Yea I was worried about drone too but it's not bad compared with other exhausts trust me. Personally I can have this exhaust for years and I wouldn't be bothered. Not sure what transmission you have but you can always control it anyway even with AT using paddle shifters and with MT even better. But if you know for sure that you won't be comfortable with a little drone then maybe Borla is a better option for you.

cant always have your cake and eat it too....id happily live with a little drone to get the sound im after.
I agree. I wonder how Gibson would sound with headers. I have a feeling it would sound insane. fordguy, maybe you should get Gibson so we can hear it with headers :p

willyms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Saw these vids on Youtube. Both have headers and Gibson exhaust. To me the sound is awesome. Would love to see some personal feedback from others here who have the same setup. Just curious about the drone.
[ame]
[ame]

Sponsored

mustangv6magn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@mmagnetic2016
Vehicle(s)
2016 procharged v6 magnetic 2016 ford eplorer
Ok guys so I just installed my Gibson exhaust 3 inch it sounds really good not sure if I lost power though.

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
How is the weight compared to the stock exhaust?

mustangv6magn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@mmagnetic2016
Vehicle(s)
2016 procharged v6 magnetic 2016 ford eplorer
This is the link to my exhaust check it out let me know what you all think I will also be adding a few more vids revving at 2 3 and 4,000 flybys, and inside cabin for reference.

Last edited: