Getting the new rev match feature on our 350s

72&18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
72 Mach 1, 72 F250 2wd, 18 GT350, 22 Bronco 2 Door
Yes. Even in racing shoes, my big ass feet can’t heel/toe worth a damn.
Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
It can be removed easily if I need to take it into Ford for any warranty work.
I‘ve had folks reply to this issue the same way.
Sometimes you cannot dictate when your car gets a flatbed ride to the dealership.
Also, your splicing into wires. Wouldn’t that get picked up?

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Big clumsy feet here, no mater how I tried I could not do it. Was embarrassed to admit it for a long time. Then I ran a demonstration race in Hallett where I came home first. Guy behind me was Paul Brown, seven time GTS winner and season champion. We got to talking and became very good friends. In the winner circle I admitted I was not able to heal and toe. Paul looks at me and says "me either". No longer embarrassed to admit it after that. I am able to rev match somehow but could never explain it. But its not heal and toe. Sometimes your better perfecting what you do than force yourself to learn another technique

ecoboost321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R ; 2018 Tesla Model 3
I’m leaning towards installing the Xineering mod, even if it’s only to nail that 4-3-2 downshifting before the hairpin turn 7 at Sebring 😎. Every where else I drive on track (Homestead, Palm beach Raceway), only really use 3rd and 4th gear.

Sponsored

Jbraun2828

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350
I have the most trouble downshifting from 4th to 3rd. The rear wheels will lock up for a split second and the rear gets a little out of shape. It definitely gets your attention at over a 100. I find, physically shifting as fast as possible helps it stay calm.

Last edited:

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
Comments about locking wheels are really concerning. It's super important to match revs on a downshift - locking the rear end, even for a brief moment, can result in mechanical damage or, even worse, loss of control.

Anyone can master the technique for a given car.... it just takes practice. For me, it's not really "heel / toe" but rather a "heel / side-of-the-foot" thing. It sorta looks like my foot is slipping off the right side of the brake pedal and falling down between the brake and throttle, with the right side of my foot and my ankle blipping the throttle.

When I'm downshifting, I use the ball of my foot on the right side of the brake pedal - it's not flat on the pedal - and then roll my ankle so that the side of my foot (or heel area) hits the throttle, resulting in a blip. It's a really fast action and the shift takes place while the revs are up, and as a result does require a bit of ankle flex dexterity.

Another part of the trick, which comes with practice, is being able to hold consistent pressure on the brake pedal while doing the roll to the side.

This pic (not of me) comes close to showing it -

Heel Toe.JPG

72&18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
72 Mach 1, 72 F250 2wd, 18 GT350, 22 Bronco 2 Door
Exactly why I went aftermarket. I don’t track enough to get good at it.

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
Exactly why I went aftermarket. I don’t track enough to get good at it.
Do it on the street, too. Every red light is a chance to practice as you run down through the gears while braking to a stop.

lunatect

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I use the left side of my right foot to brake and roll over my right foot to blip the throttle with the right side of my right foot.

Sponsored

GT4EVR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K2498; 2014 M-B SLK350; 2010 Maxima SV;
I use the left side of my right foot to brake and roll over my right foot to blip the throttle with the right side of my right foot.
That's the technique I use as well. Some shoes are better than others for me when doing this.
Every red light is a chance to practice as you run down through the gears while braking to a stop.
Exactly my belief, and what I do as well.

Although I enjoy the challenge of becoming proficient (or trying to) using this technique, if Ford introduced a retrofit rev-match kit with an On/Off switch for a 6th Gen. GT350 that they would install in my Shelby, I'd probably opt for it, if for no other reason than to use on those rare days when I didn't want to do heel-toe rev-matching myself.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
My heel/toe technique is practiced and reliable. I find it’s easier to be smooth on track. One you can do it on the street you’ll be great on track. It’s so worth learning.

On the other hand (and my fellow members of The Manual Gearbox Preservation Society may not support this) I tried the auto-blip feature on a manual Cayman S and found it to be very tempting.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I have get to big for the normal technique, I have big feet so I roll to the side. I'm not perfect but good enough to not upset the car. It does take some laps to map out the breaking point.

The car doesn't have a gear sensor so I don't think Rev matching is possible.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
For any of you guys having trouble with it on the street - you aren't doing yourselves any favors - it's really harder on the street than the track, by far. Mashing the brakes on the track gives you a more solid pivot point to use vs the street where you are likely not in the brakes to the same degree, making it really hard to get a consistent feel for even where the throttle pedal even is. Everything is muscle memory - driving in traffic is going to make it hard to "remember".

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
For any of you guys having trouble with it on the street - you aren't doing yourselves any favors - it's really harder on the street than the track, by far. Mashing the brakes on the track gives you a more solid pivot point to use vs the street where you are likely not in the brakes to the same degree, making it really hard to get a consistent feel for even where the throttle pedal even is. Everything is muscle memory - driving in traffic is going to make it hard to "remember".
Absolutely true.
When I rev match on the street, I’m rarely on the brakes.
Mashing the brakes on the street, rev matching would be the least of your worries.
Sponsored