Getting the new rev match feature on our 350s

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
Is anyone else like me and is already scheming a way to get the rev match feature from the Mach 1 in our cars?

I know there's an aftermarket solution but if I remember correctly, it only works when you press the brake while downshifting.

I'm interested in something like what my ZL1 1LE has, rev match whether you are breaking or not during your downshift. It makes the ZL1 1LE so much fun to drive hard, not to mention helping you get quicker lap times for those of you who race.
Sponsored

Evil_E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR293
Add me to that list. Would love that feature. Ford, hello??

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
No true enthusiast would ever admit they need such assistance. Hit the track and practice, practice, and practice some more. You ainā€™t $hit unless you perfect such an easy task.
Just thought Iā€™d be the first to go off.
Seriously though, for those of us with huge feet that donā€™t work like they did in our youth, this is absolutely something we need.
Iā€™ve had manual transmissions throughout the years but never something this performance oriented. I have no real desire to try and manipulate my foot and ankle in a way thatā€™s required to rev match. Probably wouldnā€™t be able to if I wanted.

Sponsored

Tom14ct14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I am thinking about getting one too. I learned heal toe last year, not amazing yet, my first track day is July 2nd so we will see how it goes.

mqu02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue GT350
Count me as interested too!

cantdrive55

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R, 96 Viper GTS
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely interested, I've never been competent at heel-toe shifting, and my ankles are really stiff which makes it even more difficult for me.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Is this type of system hardware based or software? Since everything is drive-by-wire these days, it would be neat if it was simply a software solution.

Sponsored

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
No desire for the car to do this. I hate the up-shift rev matching. The hill assist is even worse but thankfully it can be disabled.

dboz1983

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150, ā€˜20 GT350
My hill assist feature only seems to work if I stand on the brakes , simply using the brakes to hold the car on a hill and then releasing them doesnā€™t consistently activate this feature.

Separately, I am interested in the rev match feature if it is software driven. If it is hardware driven, I donā€™t know that I would be as interested.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I know you mentioned the aftermarket feature that only works when you brake, and while that's true I'll say that it works *extremely* well in all aspects of driving hard whether on the street or track.

Yes on the street sometimes I do miss the fact it only works on deceleration, but I would say that 99% of the times I need it it works. If you keep a track focused mindset (eg. downshifting only during braking events coming into a corner) then you will always be in the right gear before the turn. Very few times do I find myself coming out of a corner wishing I was in a lower gear where this feature won't work, but then I remind myself that if I had done the right thing and downshifted during the braking before said corner I would not have this issue and I would've been able to use the feature fully.

It's very very rare that I'm coming to a corner without braking and then I need to downshift after the turn. Almost all of the time I'm doing some sort of decelerating before the turn (even if just coasting) and then I just train myself to blip the brake slightly and activate the blip. My mindset is if I'm coming into a turn that I don't need to brake for then I'm not going fast enough prior to that turn.

And on track, it's pretty much 100% useful as mentioned before all proper track driving the downshifting should always be done during braking and before turn-in/acceleration so you will never need any extra feature that the aftermarket solution lacks.

I will admit for normal street driving it would be nice to have the feature work without the brake, say I'm coasting down to a stop and need to downshift and rev-match manually...but I don't this conversation is about normal driving.

OP
OP
Alain

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
@EFI, the aftermarket module currently available (which only downshifts when the brakes are applied) is the perfect solution for track driving for all of the reasons you mentioned above. BUT, for street driving a solution that will rev match during downshift in ALL conditions is much more applicable.

On the street there are more applications for the active rev match than on a race track. For example, braking and downshifting before a turn is obviously something you do quite a bit on the street but something you probably do just as much as that (if not more) is the downshift to speed up and pass someone on a highway, merge onto a highway from an on-ramp and whatever other reason there is to quickly stick your foot in the gas pedal..... the ol' "drop a gear and disappear" haha.

I've never driven my cars on a racetrack so take this comment for what it's worth, all the racetrack video watching I do, I rarely see anyone downshifting in a straightway to pass someone. So the 'brake only'' activated rev match is much more suited for racetrack driving.

My 18 ZL1 1LE has the active rev match feature. From my personal experience i can tell you that if you think the 350 is fun to drive now on the street, I can imagine it would be much more fun with the active rev match. Dropping a gear, getting the perfect rev match EVERY SINGLE TIME makes the driving experience much more enjoyable.

For those of us who are eagerly awaiting I think we will probably at some point be able to get it. I say that because I am pretty sure I remember reading that the transmission in both the ZL1 1LE and the 350 are exactly the same and the Mach 1 has the same transmission as the 350. This means that mechanically, the transmissions are probably (hopefully) the same. The only thing that would probably need to be addressed for the 350 is the programing on the ECU.

Only issue I see is that in the ZL1 1LE you can enable and disable the rev match feature by clicking the paddles behind the steering wheel. I'm sure the Mach 1 is going to have a button/switch somewhere to turn the feature on and off as well. Problem I see is that the 350 does not come with a button/switch that can be used to toggled the rev match feature on and off if we are able to get the ECU programed for the rev match. Hopefully someone in the aftermarket will figure this out.

Lets keep our fingers crossed for this one.

Mrhavasu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Interested also, think it would be a good thing.
Sponsored