Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Hello Everyone!

I currently have a 2018 GT PP1 and will be parting with this car soon. I am now thinking about getting a GT350 2020 to replace the GT. However, I am a bit concerned hearing all the Gen I motors quitting on their owners. Has there been any issues with the 2019-2020 motors having same issues? Or are these Gen II solid motors now? If I pull the trigger on one, I plan on adding a whipple to it later on, as I hear they can handle 12psi on stock internals. I'm debating between this or the Mach1 instead since it will have the Tremec in it from factory and just supercharge that one.
Sponsored

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Hello Everyone!

I currently have a 2018 GT PP1 and will be parting with this car soon. I am now thinking about getting a GT350 2020 to replace the GT. However, I am a bit concerned hearing all the Gen I motors quitting on their owners. Has there been any issues with the 2019-2020 motors having same issues? Or are these Gen II solid motors now? If I pull the trigger on one, I plan on adding a whipple to it later on, as I hear they can handle 12psi on stock internals. I'm debating between this or the Mach1 instead since it will have the Tremec in it from factory and just supercharge that one.
What do you want from the car? If reliability is a legitimate concern because you're daily driving it without a backup, it isn't the right platform. I went from a '15 GTPP that I loved to a '19 GT350 that I loved for a very short period and also hate. Reliability is a real issue, regardless of what anyone tells you. I'm not saying a catastrophic engine failure will happen, I'm saying it can happen. If you can deal with 1-2 months of no vehicle, non-matching numbers on your car, and general distrust of the platform, go ahead and do it. After spending 4 years with the GTPP I can tell you the car is completely different. The gear ratios are better, the trans is infinitely better shifting, the pull up top is way different, and the suspension is a joy but it comes at a cost, and for me, the cost is trust (which I have absolutely none for in this car).

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
What do you want from the car? If reliability is a legitimate concern because you're daily driving it without a backup, it isn't the right platform. I went from a '15 GTPP that I loved to a '19 GT350 that I loved for a very short period and also hate. Reliability is a real issue, regardless of what anyone tells you. I'm not saying a catastrophic engine failure will happen, I'm saying it can happen. If you can deal with 1-2 months of no vehicle, non-matching numbers on your car, and general distrust of the platform, go ahead and do it. After spending 4 years with the GTPP I can tell you the car is completely different. The gear ratios are better, the trans is infinitely better shifting, the pull up top is way different, and the suspension is a joy but it comes at a cost, and for me, the cost is trust (which I have absolutely none for in this car).
I have a daily already, so this will be a weekend car. Don’t even get me started on reliability. Reason I’m getting rid of my 18 GTPP1 is because I went through 3 transmissions, 1 IRS Craddle replacement, and a bunch of random small issues.

I’m just concerned with the motor because I do like modifying my cars, but I rather replace a $9k motor than a $20k motor just because the crank is flat...

I do have trust issues with Ford as well, I believe they make great products, but drop the ball big time with quality control. Whoever is running their QC department is blind and deaf, considering the way some of these cars leave the shop.

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I suspect the Mach1 will be more reliable.

It could very well be more reliable but it will not be a GT350. Right now the engine failure rate is far lower than 1/2 of 1%. It's like reading bad reviews on Yelp or something, nobody complains when they run great so they do not post in the internet, they are out enjoying their cars and living their lives. There are a few guys here with 60K miles and no complaints. Car and Driver wore their GT350 out for more than $40K miles and it was faster at 40K miles than it was new.

Enzo could own the American made version of the engine Enzo made famous, only bigger, more powerful and normally aspirated. And he can slap on a supercharger and make it more awesome if so inclined. An out of warranty Ferrari product is available from Ferrari of Orlando for $25,000 more than a Mustang and it is not faster than a GT350.

I bought my GT350 and drove it 1400 miles home to my house with no blue tape, ppf or anything of the sort and it did not use a drop of oil. I varied speed and rpm ranges throughout the drive using a timer to change gears, rpm ranges and how hard the engine was working and with over 3,000 miles I have had zero issues. I'm betting my experience is typical. My car has all the bells and whistles and I still haven't turned on the radio or used the stereo when driving,it sounds that great and drives that nice. It does make other car guys smile too, more so than any regular GT.

That being said, every person with an engine that failed has gotten a new engine and a better warranty with very few issues from Ford, unless they somehow got caught abusing the car. I vote GT350 and you can see what the fuss is all about. If you hate it.............................2022 Mach 1, the second year is always better anyway.

Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The Gen2 motor in the 2019-2020 model is better prepared to handle boost, but honestly this car was made to be naturally aspirated and designed to be in the higher rev range. You can make it into a torque monster if you want, but your losing what this car was created for. In regards to quality and trust, yes there have been issues but Ford has stood behind these engines and the percentages have been low. With social media the problems are going to be heard loud and clear on multiple forums. This subject has been beat to death on other threads. Bottom line is that you can have issues with any vehicle including the GT's Eco Boost, etc..
But for me the risk was worth the reward, I don't regret the purchase and don't worry at night whether there will be issues because it's under warranty and the real percentages are low.
I've owned 2 other S550 mustangs and the experience in this car is like no other.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Do you want to live like a rat for 100 years or a lion for 30? Take your pick...

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
It could very well be more reliable but it will not be a GT350. Right now the engine failure rate is far lower than 1/2 of 1%. It's like reading bad reviews on Yelp or something, nobody complains when they run great so they do not post in the internet, they are out enjoying their cars and living their lives. There are a few guys here with 60K miles and no complaints. Car and Driver wore their GT350 out for more than $40K miles and it was faster at 40K miles than it was new.

Enzo could own the American made version of the engine Enzo made famous, only bigger, more powerful and normally aspirated. And he can slap on a supercharger and make it more awesome if so inclined. An out of warranty Ferrari product is available from Ferrari of Orlando for $25,000 more than a Mustang and it is not faster than a GT350.

I bought my GT350 and drove it 1400 miles home to my house with no blue tape, ppf or anything of the sort and it did not use a drop of oil. I varied speed and rpm ranges throughout the drive using a timer to change gears, rpm ranges and how hard the engine was working and with over 3,000 miles I have had zero issues. I'm betting my experience is typical. My car has all the bells and whistles and I still haven't turned on the radio or used the stereo when driving,it sounds that great and drives that nice. It does make other car guys smile too, more so than any regular GT.

That being said, every person with an engine that failed has gotten a new engine and a better warranty with very few issues from Ford, unless they somehow got caught abusing the car. I vote GT350 and you can see what the fuss is all about. If you hate it.............................2022 Mach 1, the second year is always better anyway.
This is relieving to hear on the percentage of engine failures being low. I keep hearing the gt350 just feels like a completely different car compared to the GT. I’m excited to see what the next 2-3 months hold as that will be the time frame of picking one of these up. I have been finding some GT350R for low 60s.

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
The Gen2 motor in the 2019-2020 model is better prepared to handle boost, but honestly this car was made to be naturally aspirated and designed to be in the higher rev range. You can make it into a torque monster if you want, but your losing what this car was created for. In regards to quality and trust, yes there have been issues but Ford has stood behind these engines and the percentages have been low. With social media the problems are going to be heard loud and clear on multiple forums. This subject has been beat to death on other threads. Bottom line is that you can have issues with any vehicle including the GT's Eco Boost, etc..
But for me the risk was worth the reward, I don't regret the purchase and don't worry at night whether there will be issues because it's under warranty and the real percentages are low.
I've owned 2 other S550 mustangs and the experience in this car is like no other.
My plan was to have it for 2 years stock and then go supercharged if I still feel the need for it.

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Do you want to live like a rat for 100 years or a lion for 30? Take your pick...
That’s so funny, I always say this too.

Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
That’s so funny, I always say this too.
On a serious note, I had good luck with 2016 generation. My track pack never used any oil, and was a beauty up to 14k miles when I sold it, and so is my R now, albeit only 4600 miles on it... the 2 even sound identical... at least at idle I mean. Obviously the R is louder in sport mode. I saw some online statistics which pointed to lowest number of failures to be the 2016 year... Not saying this is a rule of thumb, just saying what my experience was with the car.

svassh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R Performance Blue Metallic
Honestly if you are for sure going to supercharge it, get the new Mach 1 if you have to have manual. If auto is ok step up to the GT500, already supercharged with warranty. I would think supercharging the GT350 would be detrimental to its value.

There is a great YouTube video on the Mach 1 unveiling it’s basically the GT350 with the Coyote.

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
2019s are basically 2020's, the refresh was 2019. I test drove and rode around in a buddy's GT, this is a different car.

I found my car with by Googling "2019 GT350 (insert color desired)" and looking at the images. Ford search was tedious, I did that too. I did the various Carguru crap as well.

In the end, I clicked on a picture, went to the dealer website, my car was offered for $6500 under MSRP and I offered less than that in an email. They accepted, a few phone calls, emails and a video later money transferred and it was mine.

I tried it yesterday and found over a dozen nice 2019's all over the country and quite a few of them were $2500 to $6000 under MSRP. Here are a few of them. Travel and drive it home or hire a transporter and your GT350 will arrive in no time.

https://www.taylorfordmanteno.com/new-Manteno-2019-Ford-Mustang-Shelby+GT350-1FA6P8JZXK5552571

https://www.legacyfordtx.com/new-Rosenberg-2019-Ford-Mustang-Shelby+GT350-1FA6P8JZ2K5552645

https://www.sullivanford.net/new-Brookhaven-2019-Ford-Mustang-Shelby+GT350-1FA6P8JZ7K5551104

https://www.frenchiesford.com/Vehic...g-Shelby_GT350_Fastback-Massena-NY/3472620583

https://www.kriegersford.com/new-Muscatine-2019-Ford-Mustang-Shelby+GT350-1FA6P8JZ7K5553001

Good Luck.

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
On a serious note, I had good luck with 2016 generation. My track pack never used any oil, and was a beauty up to 14k miles when I sold it, and so is my R now, albeit only 4600 miles on it... the 2 even sound identical... at least at idle I mean. Obviously the R is louder in sport mode. I saw some online statistics which pointed to lowest number of failures to be the 2016 year... Not saying this is a rule of thumb, just saying what my experience was with the car.
I agree with this. In addition, a lot of the failures I saw in 2016 dealt with techs not properly torquing the oil filter, the snap ring that wasn't installed correctly on an early build (might have been Hi-Po Joe?? or someone similar), and the recall due to oil-cooler lines that weren't properly swaged at the connections. Don't get me wrong, 2015 -16's have their idiosyncrasies (no trans/diff cooling for tech packs, some oil consumption (@shelby_r first car)), but they seem generally reliable IMO.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)

Keep in mind he is going forced induction. I think the Mach1 will be cheaper and likely more reliable for his application. With the Mach1 you get much of the suspension differences and also the Tremec manual from the GT350. Although he may prefer the 10 speed auto for performance reasons (it will be much faster with forced induction).
Sponsored