Sponsored

Getting near that depressing time of year-Winter storage

BierGut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
Resurrecting this thread because it's that time of year again. After going for one last drive, pulled the car into the backyard for it's long winter nap. I don't have a garage, so it stays outside all winter. I do the best I can in getting it prepped. I put on some ceramic boost yesterday, and have been putting in Stabil for the last 2 weeks. The car sits on a set of Flatstopper ramps, and the tire pressure is increased to 45psi for storage. And of course, it's hooked up to a battery tender.
This will be the 3rd winter I've had the car, and the depressing feeling is the same. It's especially painful to see it covered in a foot of snow after a bad storm. Spring can't come soon enough.

20201213_163040.jpg

20201221_104028.jpg
Same here... just dropped mine off at the garage I store it at yesterday... <sigh> April 1st seems like a long way off.
Sponsored

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
Resurrecting this thread because it's that time of year again. After going for one last drive, pulled the car into the backyard for it's long winter nap. I don't have a garage, so it stays outside all winter. I do the best I can in getting it prepped. I put on some ceramic boost yesterday, and have been putting in Stabil for the last 2 weeks. The car sits on a set of Flatstopper ramps, and the tire pressure is increased to 45psi for storage. And of course, it's hooked up to a battery tender.
This will be the 3rd winter I've had the car, and the depressing feeling is the same. It's especially painful to see it covered in a foot of snow after a bad storm. Spring can't come soon enough.

20201213_163040.jpg

20201221_104028.jpg
It appears that the OEM cover is holding up quite well in that outdoor winter environment. 👍

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

20201213_163040.jpg

20201221_104028.jpg
I would be very cautious storing the car so close to that mouse high rise. Hopefully you have something preventing transfer of residents.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
I would be very cautious storing the car so close to that mouse high rise. Hopefully you have something preventing transfer of residents.
Not his first rodeo. He’s been storing that way for a minute.
Personally, I could never do that.

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I’m having withdrawal and it’s only been 2 weeks. Maybe it would be better if I stored it somewhere I didn’t have to see it each time I go in the garage.

EF3E1BB4-676E-4941-AD11-D0872E79B09A.jpeg

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Not his first rodeo. He’s been storing that way for a minute.
Personally, I could never do that.
I'm not trying to insult. I'm deathly afraid of mouse infestation and I do everything I can to keep them out of my stuff as well. But it isn't easy and I never feel confident that what I'm doing is sufficient. After being told by my A/C guy not to cover the unit because mice are more likely to get into a warm, dark area I'm reluctant to even put a cover on my car when I store it for the winter. I just let it get dusty and wash it in the spring.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Anyone with home A/C units in these locations: an alternative to a full cover is something over the top only; these can keep snow, ice and other things out, while the sides are exposed, allowing the system to breath. The cover attaches with bungie cords. https://www.the-cover-store.com/

Plywood and a brick work good to, but they tend to fall off in high winds. LOL.

Last edited:

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I'm not trying to insult. I'm deathly afraid of mouse infestation and I do everything I can to keep them out of my stuff as well. But it isn't easy and I never feel confident that what I'm doing is sufficient. After being told by my A/C guy not to cover the unit because mice are more likely to get into a warm, dark area I'm reluctant to even put a cover on my car when I store it for the winter. I just let it get dusty and wash it in the spring.
A squirrel made a nest in my FIL's Mercedes when he parked it in the driveway and didn't drive it just for a couple of days. He wasn't even storing it for the winter or anything. It chewed up all the wiring and insulation $$$$$$$$$$$

OP
OP
Postal Bob

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Never had a problem. For the last few years, all year long, I put out those poison mouse traps near the wood piles, under my shed, edges of the house, etc. I haven't seen a sign of mice in years.
Besides, my neighbor has a delapilated garage with broken windows, half hanging doors, etc. All manner of critter live in there quite comfortable. Mice, racoons, possum, birds, cats, etc. No reason for them to leave that comfort, and come over to my yard.

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Everbody has their own mice ridding method. After my first winter storage took the car in for new tires and the tech called me over to the car and pointed out a mouse nest in the top of the strut tower support. Had used poison, dryer sheets, the old peanut butter baited stick over a bucket of water, etc. all without success in ridding my garage of mice. Finally went to peanut butter on four to six plastic snap traps with the toothed jaws scattered along the walls of the garage. Typically "catch" 8-12 per year most at the start of cold weather and no problems with mouse turds or nests in the garage or car since. It's the first thing they go for.
Had a vole and mouse problem in my garden and lawn and no luck with poison, gas, Juicy Fruit, etc. Put the snap traps around my garden and at the openings of holes in my lawn and again after much successful trapping solved the problem. Even the neighbors cat is pissed at me for taking away its fun (which he obviously couldn't keep up with). Whatever works for ya.

Sponsored

tobaccokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Under the current conditions in Australia, I would rather live in the Northeast. That’s all I’ll say.
Also in the Northeast. I know 100% what you are saying, and agree wholeheartadly, especially regading my "permits". Also applies to Europe where I'm from originally and get to now frequently.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
This is the time of year I usually tease everyone that has to store their cars :)

BUT - I have to ask... Every year when you go to get your car out of storage, does it recreate the excitement of first getting the car? :) If so, I'm jealous...sorta

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
This is the time of year I usually tease everyone that has to store their cars :)

BUT - I have to ask... Every year when you go to get your car out of storage, does it recreate the excitement of first getting the car? :) If so, I'm jealous...sorta
It's an interesting dichotomy storing your treasured vehicle for a portion of the year. If I had unlimited funds, I would have a sports car equipped to drive during the winter season when the roads are dry.
Car storage aside, having an extreme winter season creates an anticipation of spring and a feeling that's hard to describe once the first signs of spring arrive.
As it relates to cars, there is an appreciation and at times an urgency to enjoy the car during those incredible summer days we have here in Wisconsin.
The uniqueness of the car, driving experience and attachment to it also increases the anticipation. In my case, every time I drive the Shelby I feel like i'm getting into it for the first time. Hard to describe the driving experience.
It's hard to say whether I would be happier driving it all year round. Sounds crazy, but I don't know how it would change my attitude towards the car.

SL8888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT-350 # K1989
It's an interesting dichotomy storing your treasured vehicle for a portion of the year. If I had unlimited funds, I would have a sports car equipped to drive during the winter season when the roads are dry.
Car storage aside, having an extreme winter season creates an anticipation of spring and a feeling that's hard to describe once the first signs of spring arrive.
As it relates to cars, there is an appreciation and at times an urgency to enjoy the car during those incredible summer days we have here in Wisconsin.
The uniqueness of the car, driving experience and attachment to it also increases the anticipation. In my case, every time I drive the Shelby I feel like i'm getting into it for the first time. Hard to describe the driving experience.
It's hard to say whether I would be happier driving it all year round. Sounds crazy, but I don't know how it would change my attitude towards the car.
Hey my GT-350 brother Lorne, I'm 100 % with you man. On the CRAZY side you might want to lay your hands on one of those Raptor "R" Beasts with that Supercharged GT-500 engine in it....Should handle those Wisconsin winters without a problem..... :wink:
Sponsored