Getting near that depressing time of year-Winter storage

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Winter what?

42742248-8470-4108-B335-BA89600A673A.jpeg
Nice. I used to drive my Mustangs year round when I lived in Southern Ontario. Both the V6 and the GT with winter tires were perfectly fine. But given the tires on the GT350 it remains in the garage when temps stay below 7 C here in Maryland, which so far this year looks like it won't be until January hopefully.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, GR86
That is the thing, the fox mustang wheel base is short, the full sized grand mark/crown vic, caprice wheel base is longer, AND the cars are heavy, So winter driving is fun as you can control the slide , no nannies thinking they know better than you , to make the vehicles dynamics unpredictable. And you can control the slide with your right foot, car under steering because of the nose sliding, kick the rear around. The longer the wheel base the better.
They are cheap cars, easy to keep running, and if the rock salt and that evil fluid they treat the roads with, return it to earth after 8 years of use as a winter beater, get another and rinse and repeat . It really is a blast, making winters when up north more manageable .
Part of the reason I hate the new vehicles electric parking brake set up's.
The cable type, if you found yourself in a slide and reaching the point of no return of an angle, pull up on the e-brake and it pull the rear back in line. sliding while try'n to stop, you used to be able to put your rear drive vehicle in r at speed and gun it, it straight'n out the slide and halp bring the car to a stop before running the stop sign/light, but todays nannies won't allow you to put the vehicle in R if the car is moving so, another snow and ice, driving skill neutered because well the computer knows best, must save the drivetrain and allow the car to be wadded up like a ball in a wreck, but at least the drivetrain wasn't harmed. pfft.
I agree it can be fun to drift around, but Mustangs and Fiestas and many other modern cars have the ability to turn off traction control, so if you really want to do it you can. And the Fiesta does have a mechanical e-brake, so there is that.

I get a little too annoyed when I can't out-accelerate everyone else on the road. Heavy cars are bad for acceleration - especially when they aren't getting enough traction because the weight is not over the driven wheels. The nice thing about the FiST is it has about the same power as a Fox Mustang, but weighs about 400 lbs less and it gets a lot more traction in the winter. The ST nannies are a little laissez faire - you can spin the fronts quite a bit without turning the nannies off.

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
My car got parked today in MN - it's a sad day. Took it out for one last drive on Monday night - the PS4S handled the low temps better than expected. Now I need to decide whether to change oil now or in the spring before I start driving it more...
20211206_205752.jpg

5.2 VooDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Comp. Orange GT 350 - Born March 3rd - Arrrived March 14th
This is Caltrans on US395 north of Bishop California. In advance for snow tonight. God only knows what's in that concoction. Lol

20211208_102638(1).jpg
They use beet juice up this way....

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
I've had a couple of storms with this Mustang. I recommend Michelin Cross Climate 2 tires. Not the cheapest but okay in the dry and surprisingly good in the snow. Almost as good as any dedicated winter tire I've driven with. I'm out accelerating every 2WD car, and don't forget, AWD doesn't help a damn with turning or stopping.

So why put away your Mustang? It's still a track star, just buy it some snow boots. Sometimes it's even more fun because you can slide the car intentionally without having to speed all the time.

Found this review. Good channel BTW:.

SL8888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT-350 # K1989
I've had a couple of storms with this Mustang. I recommend Michelin Cross Climate 2 tires. Not the cheapest but okay in the dry and surprisingly good in the snow. Almost as good as any dedicated winter tire I've driven with. I'm out accelerating every 2WD car, and don't forget, AWD doesn't help a damn with turning or stopping.

So why put away your Mustang? It's still a track star, just buy it some snow boots. Sometimes it's even more fun because you can slide the car intentionally without having to speed all the time.

Found this review. Good channel BTW:.

Sorry Dude, salt brine, road salt & other "Drivers".
My Shelby will be staying put....😉

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
I look at winter in the Midwest as a time for work in the shop - spring, summer, and fall are for driving.

It's always 70 and sunny in my shop!

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I look at winter in the Midwest as a time for work in the shop - spring, summer, and fall are for driving.

It's always 70 and sunny in my shop!
a heated garage/shop is a GAME CHANGER..

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

DansFLHTI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tacoma. 2016 Mustang. 2014 Street Glide.
The way I see it is,winter is half over in mid January.So I gotta start doing things I was gonna do while she is parked
20220118_153856.jpg
. Today I got out my buffer and tried my new scratch/swirl enhancer light..lol. Didnt need a light for my 2013..it was black.

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
“Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.”
James 1:22
"... and if anybody does not do the good they ought to do... SINS..." : Jesus's half-bro...

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
God only knows what's in that concoction. Lol

20211208_102638(1).jpg
I've heard it's 90% yak urine 🤣

I understand why many don't want to drive their Mustangs in the winter and this would get depressing after a while.

I've been driving my GT350 all winter (with Pilot Apline PA4s) except for a handful of days we had snow and the roads weren't clear and dry. Those PA4s are great

28 - Boomba Racing - 1