Sponsored

Getting a little annoyed...2nd time having my oil pan leak fixed.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Bought the car new in April 2020, took it in for the first oil change 3-4 mos. later and I complained that I am having a leak from the oil filter area. I figured it was just a loose oil filter, although I tried to tighten it by hand it didn't budge. They came back and told me that its a leaking oil pan and will have to be replaced.

Took it in for my final service contract oil change and I discussed that I am using about 1 litre of oil per 1k miles. Not real excessive but I wanted it to be known. The car now has 16k miles and felt it should be broken in properly but why am I still using 1 litre every 1k miles? Came back and they inform me the oil pan is leaking again. It wasn't as bad as the last time, as the last time I had evidence on my garage floor, but it is leaking again. ERRR!!!!

These damn composite oil pans are a pain in the ass to get them to seal properly. Last time it took them 2 weeks to get the car done as they were swamped. I told them I am not leaving the car at the dealer for 2 weeks for a 2 day repair. They told me it doesn't work that way. They told me they need the car in the system to get me in line with the master line tech who has to do the work. The previous tech was fired...now I know why.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave2013M3

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
83000 miles on my '18, not a single leak yet. Daily driven.

Oh its definitely hit and miss. From what the tech told me it is a pain in the ass to reseal them. They have to sit overnight and let every drop of oil empty out of the engine. Its just frustrating...

Ponyupnow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Oh its definitely hit and miss. From what the tech told me it is a pain in the ass to reseal them. They have to sit overnight and let every drop of oil empty out of the engine. Its just frustrating...
Screenshot_20220202-120600.png
this could help.

Sponsored

GWraith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathaniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Phase 2 Roushcharged
Check your compression I bet 1 of your cylinders is bad. These cars don't consume oil like that. If you don't see a puddle on the garage floor the leak isn't the source of the oil consumption. Why the pan is leaking I don't know should never have to reseal an oil pan unless someone took it off after the factory at one point.

You didn't mention if it's boosted that's the only reason id think the oil pan gasket would fail if a cylinder is bad and you're pressurizing the oil sump area.

OP
OP
Dave2013M3

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Dave2013M3

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Check your compression I bet 1 of your cylinders is bad. These cars don't consume oil like that. If you don't see a puddle on the garage floor the leak isn't the source of the oil consumption. Why the pan is leaking I don't know should never have to reseal an oil pan unless someone took it off after the factory at one point.

You didn't mention if it's boosted that's the only reason id think the oil pan gasket would fail if a cylinder is bad and you're pressurizing the oil sump area.

Nothing is wrong with the engine...and yes Coyotes do drink oil. There is a reason Ford won't warranty the car unless the car consumes 1 litre per 750 miles. My car was at 1200 miles and its leaking. Turns out this is a problem for these oil pans.

OP
OP
Dave2013M3

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
Can you see a visible line of oil coming down the side of the filter by chance? If so, I’d investigate the oil pressure sensor just above the filter. I’ve seen several cars have the sensor back out a bit and result in a slow leak. Simply putting on some thread tape and snugging it up should fix it if it is the issue.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dave2013M3

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you see a visible line of oil coming down the side of the filter by chance? If so, I’d investigate the oil pressure sensor just above the filter. I’ve seen several cars have the sensor back out a bit and result in a slow leak. Simply putting on some thread tape and snugging it up should fix it if it is the issue.
I'll pass that on to the SA. Thanks

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
A composite pan isn't any harder to re-gasket than a steel pan, lol. It's just a job that requires meticulous clean up and preparation. I've done several in my day, the only comeback was when I rushed and torqued the sealant at the block and timing cover flange too early. If you rush, it won't last.

OP
OP
Dave2013M3

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A composite pan isn't any harder to re-gasket than a steel pan, lol. It's just a job that requires meticulous clean up and preparation. I've done several in my day, the only comeback was when I rushed and torqued the sealant at the block and timing cover flange too early. If you rush, it won't last.
Thanks Ice thats what the Tech told me. He felt the other tech rushed it. He said the same thing you just said. It has to be meticulously clean.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Screenshot_20220202-120600.png
this could help.
Funny how the GT500 gets a cast aluminum oil pan and valve covers when everything else gets composite trash.
Sponsored