Get more sound from rear deck speakers.

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I removed the rear deck lid carpet and perforated it. Simple and the sound is quite a bit more.
6HaCHizfZrshrgQrVKZtZEkADFv0zGqffzI9qBuorc6ebigQAcAhR8YjQYrNBCURaoZnJLFUWQPWnfxq4=w1419-h1064-no.jpg
i7fRBvAInuo_HWlFsYmVRVL3zvQwIiScz8uZOuupJGej4mioxR9ndPRN6EyPyDImlzf4hi_5KpMB81EJI=w1419-h1064-no.jpg
rcu5KHp3MWxH7DiKAz_hC1w_xGtVBWcP487fn0qzp-sE-FFePpmFDA3WSHIAu4mMRIIE2cG-o7URWYGww=w1419-h1064-no.jpg
Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
That should help a little....though, even better.... Do what I did.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/pioneer-d-series-upgrade.126069/

What people don't realize, is that cardboard and carpet probably stops a good 30% or more of your sound. That, and the sound clipping of the rear speakers by Ford is terrible. A Forscan adjustment will fix that immediately. Aftermarket speakers are suggested though, since the factory speakers might blow from the extra bass in the rear.

OP
OP
Vicr

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
That should help a little....though, even better.... Do what I did.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/pioneer-d-series-upgrade.126069/

What people don't realize, is that cardboard and carpet probably stops a good 30% or more of your sound. That, and the sound clipping of the rear speakers by Ford is terrible. A Forscan adjustment will fix that immediately. Aftermarket speakers are suggested though, since the factory speakers might blow from the extra bass in the rear.

I did a full rear deck speaker upgrade: Morel Ultra Tempo's, LC2i and a 200w Zapco amplifier. Photo's posted on other threads.

goldenpants

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EcoBoost Premium 201a Performance Pack (Ruby Red)
What was the easiest way to create the pattern for the perforations that you made? and what tool did you use?

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
What was the easiest way to create the pattern for the perforations that you made? and what tool did you use?
Well, I knew I was going to have to cut holes, so I left the factory speakers in place to do this.

1. I took the cover off, but left the factory speakers in place.

2. Then took some BLUE chalk-line chalk, and heavily dusted the foam ring around the edges of the factory speaker.

3. Gently reinstall the cover. When in place, press down on the cover until it thoroughly contacts the speaker, transferring some of the chalk to the bottom of the cover to create a blue ring.

4. Remove the cover, and the chalk rings will be very light, so I used some paint and a fine modelling brush to draw a more perfect circle where I needed to cut.

5. Use a Dremel with a cutting wheel to cut the hole. Then, use a sanding drum to smooth out the inside edges.

6. I used a thin layer of silicone RTV on the inside edges to prevent fraying of that press board they use for the cover.

7. Then installed the speaker grills.

There's a picture of the rear deck cover on the first page of the link I posted, showing the rings I painted to make sure my holes were in the right place and centered over the speakers.

Sponsored

goldenpants

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EcoBoost Premium 201a Performance Pack (Ruby Red)
Well, I knew I was going to have to cut holes, so I left the factory speakers in place to do this.

1. I took the cover off, but left the factory speakers in place.

2. Then took some BLUE chalk-line chalk, and heavily dusted the foam ring around the edges of the factory speaker.

3. Gently reinstall the cover. When in place, press down on the cover until it thoroughly contacts the speaker, transferring some of the chalk to the bottom of the cover to create a blue ring.

4. Remove the cover, and the chalk rings will be very light, so I used some paint and a fine modelling brush to draw a more perfect circle where I needed to cut.

5. Use a Dremel with a cutting wheel to cut the hole. Then, use a sanding drum to smooth out the inside edges.

6. I used a thin layer of silicone RTV on the inside edges to prevent fraying of that press board they use for the cover.

7. Then installed the speaker grills.

There's a picture of the rear deck cover on the first page of the link I posted, showing the rings I painted to make sure my holes were in the right place and centered over the speakers.
Sweet! I think I will be doing exaclty this. To remove the carpet cover over the speakers, do I need to remove the seats?

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Sweet! I think I will be doing exaclty this. To remove the carpet cover over the speakers, do I need to remove the seats?
No, I don't believe I removed the fold down seats, but did pull out the bottom seat for installing sound deadening phone around the fender wells.

OP
OP
Vicr

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
You can get the rear deck carpet out without removing the rear seat but it’s a PITA and takes longer than removing the seat. Do it right and take the f’n seat out. Personally I hate speaker grills that’s why I bought a punch from Harbor Freight and perforated the carpet.
Sponsored