Sponsored

Get a grip

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
My rear tires seem to me sliding around more and more. They still have decent tread left on them. Is there a way to restore grip without soaking it in chemicals (some scary things on the internets)? Race tires i would just scuff them up. Not sure if street tires appreciate that sort of treatment.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Performance nut

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
They're probably heat cycled out
I honestly don't know how... they haven't really seen alot of heat in six months. The decline has been recent.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I honestly don't know how... they haven't really seen alot of heat in six months. The decline has been recent.
Just driving around on them and letting them cool overnight is a "heat cycle". You don't need to get them 'hot' to have them harden up from use.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
maybe you could elaborate on what brand/model tires you're talking about? What is the date code? What COLD/HOT psi are you running? If you feel adventurous put the car up on blocks, spin the wheels and take a fine-hole cheese grater to the contact surface.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
maybe you could elaborate on what brand/model tires you're talking about? What is the date code? What COLD/HOT psi are you running? If you feel adventurous put the car up on blocks, spin the wheels and take a fine-hole cheese grater to the contact surface.
That won't do anything if the tires are cycled out. The whole tread gets harder.

sabid23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samir
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Guila Veloce
It seems odd that your rear tyres would seemingly suddenly have less grip. Assuming nothing else has change on your car then what are your pressures like? Are you seeing the same hot tyre pressures as before? Is there even temperature spread across the tyre after a track session?

Heat cycles certainly make a difference but I'd suggest starting with the basics of the tyre pressures and temps.

If they check out ok, then then next thing would be to understand if the tyre has rotated on the rim. If it has then it might be out of balance. An out of balance tyre can create a vibration which effectively gives you less tyre on the road - resulting in what feels like less grip. Getting your wheels re-balanced is cheap and should help you get more life from your current set of tyres.
Sponsored