Get a actual spare tire..

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I decided to take the "get the spare" advice for my 2019. I ordered from the dealer. He says 7-10 weeks delivery. Just in time to put it in storage. LOL.
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I decided to take the "get the spare" advice for my 2019. I ordered from the dealer. He says 7-10 weeks delivery. Just in time to put it in storage. LOL.
Apparently the Mustang spare kit has been backordered forever now, not sure if they're even making it anymore. I need to figure out what spacer width the explorer spare needs to fit over the front brakes on a non PP car. When I tried it it was only barely touching the caliper.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
In the 4 years owning this car I have had 3 flats. Luckily with 2 of them I was able to get to a tire store before they were completely flat. The third one I had the AA spare. Worked like a charm and totally worth the piece of mind having an actual spare gives me.

WTH? I've been driving for 35 years and never had a flat on the road, and you get 3 in 4 years?

This includes autocrossing and racing, so it's not like I am babying the cars.

Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
WTH? I've been driving for 35 years and never had a flat on the road, and you get 3 in 4 years?

This includes autocrossing and racing, so it's not like I am babying the cars.
Did I mention the two broken windshields I have had replaced as well? Really glad I had glass replacement on my insurance.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
You should be fine on either axle, assuming you keep to the notification on the tire (typically 50 miles / 50 mph).
Yeah, not like the guy I saw one day coming home from the office on the local highway (the 401, AKA the busiest highway in North America), driving some clapped out Japanese sedan, both right side tires were donut spares, and he passed me, while I was running along at around 65 mph.

Bruiser2017

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS Convertible
I am about to order a Ford spare tire for my 2020 when I just heard a co-worker talking about how he has to purchase some sort of kit for the inflator on his 2015 eco boost Mustang and he has to pay Ford to turn off the warning on his dash. Something about the inflator kit has an expiration date and it throws a code when it expires...

That got me thinking. If I take out the inflator kit to put the spare in will that trip a code with a resulting warning in my dash?

Thanks,
-Bob

JJSSI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 EcoBoost HPP w/Handling Package, 2004 Boxster S, 2013 Jeep JK,
Vehicle Showcase
I took mine out when I put the spare in. The warning appears after a set time.
On mine there is an advanced setting where you select 1 to 4 years until the warning comes up.
My guess is I can reset it there after the warning comes up

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I am about to order a Ford spare tire for my 2020 when I just heard a co-worker talking about how he has to purchase some sort of kit for the inflator on his 2015 eco boost Mustang and he has to pay Ford to turn off the warning on his dash. Something about the inflator kit has an expiration date and it throws a code when it expires...

That got me thinking. If I take out the inflator kit to put the spare in will that trip a code with a resulting warning in my dash?

Thanks,
-Bob
I would think if that were the case removing the inflator. Replacing it with a real spare would set off the warning.

That has not happened to me, and the inflator has been removed for 2 months now

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My guess is I can reset it there after the warning comes up
I bet that's the case, just like with the oil life monitor. Otherwise, that 'feature' can be disabled with FORScan, if I remember correctly.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Thanks,
-Bob
The tire inflator Kit should last I think it’s either 4 or 5 years. The dash error message has absolutely no link or communication between the inflator kit and itself. The dash is just a programmed “countdown” based on when the vehicle BCMs were initially fired up.

It counts down just like the oil change counter does - even when the car is not being used.

Your Co-Worker can go into the main dash menu settings and reset the kit to any “time period” listed in the menu - for FREE. Heck he can even “expire” it by picking the last time period in the list.

He can throw the tire inflator kit out the window and the dash counter won’t know it.

Don’t let him waste his money by having someone at Ford charge him to reset that counter...

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium

Thanks,
-Bob

You don't have to pay Ford to do anything. Read the manual and disable the warning. The throw a real spare in the trunk and drive.

Bruiser2017

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS Convertible
Thank you all for the info. Nice to know that its not a comm link in some way. Out with the kit, in with the tire. Gonna order the kit tomorrow.

I'll let the guy at work know to read his owners manual for instructions on how to make it go away.

-Bob
Sponsored