Sponsored

German man totals import Mustang on test drive (article in German)

AmerikanishesPferd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2007 Saab 95 1.9T Hisch
So this is interesting; a German driver in his late 40's so we can assume pretty experienced crashes a $50K+ U.S. Performance Package model during his test run.

You can see the pictures that the roads are pretty wet so I wonder what happened exactly. The article doesn't really explain much other than all the airbags went off and the dealer is pretty pissed because the car is essentially totaled.

Here is a link to the original article in German and is also NSFW because Bild.de has to put naked ladies on their website to get clicks. Please do not open this page on a work machine if you have a prudent employer.

article: http://www.bild.de/regional/ruhrgeb...agen-bei-probefahrt-kaputt-44513138.bild.html
Sponsored

fastpony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
:doh:First time in a real muscle car?
Hope the driver got out ok.

OP
OP
AmerikanishesPferd

AmerikanishesPferd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2007 Saab 95 1.9T Hisch
:doh:First time in a real muscle car?
Hope the driver got out ok.
With the recent price reductions in 2015 models I've considered picking one up soon, just need to speak with a dealer first.

This will be my first time in a V8 since my mom's old Tahoe years ago. I know that the gas pedal is more than just gas/no gas but this sort of scares me haha. I'm a fairly safe driver and have never pushed my car to anything I wasn't capable of but if an experienced driver (lets assume, he is German after all) can have this sort of accident then I really wonder if this car is for me or my wife...

I like the third lady from the right best.
:cheers: :lol:

NewMustangDE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrik
Vehicle(s)
EU Mustang GT Fastback/Auto/Ruby Red/PP/Alarm
Not the first Mustang crash in Germany.....been loads. One journalist totalled one, one person died in another crash, once crash caused another 8 cars to be written off in central Berlin etc.

The problem being the fact that many people have no idea what kind of power the GT makes (or even the EB for that matter!) and has to be driven carefully at first. Knowing from my own experience, a little bit of wet roads, a little blip on the throttle will set the car into a spinning mode!

Sponsored

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
I think you really have to drive like insane to get the GT spin around. Pzeros at 3°C on a wet roads it's not a good environment to push the pedal like an idiot

I took part in an driving security training with my Mustang - You really have to abruptly hammer the pedal to get the rear loose traction.

OP
OP
AmerikanishesPferd

AmerikanishesPferd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2007 Saab 95 1.9T Hisch
Not the first Mustang crash in Germany.....been loads. One journalist totalled one, one person died in another crash, once crash caused another 8 cars to be written off in central Berlin etc.

The problem being the fact that many people have no idea what kind of power the GT makes (or even the EB for that matter!) and has to be driven carefully at first. Knowing from my own experience, a little bit of wet roads, a little blip on the throttle will set the car into a spinning mode!
There was an incident I read about a local dealer and a 25 year old driver on a test drive and totaled a European version of the car.

Crazy.

I think you really have to drive like insane to get the GT spin around. Pzeros at 3°C on a wet roads it's not a good environment to push the pedal like an idiot

I took part in an driving security training with my Mustang - You really have to abruptly hammer the pedal to get the rear loose traction.
I figured this too only because I saw one pass a slow driver down a two lane road pretty easily on damp streets. No sliding at all so the driver obviously knew what they were doing.

NewMustangDE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrik
Vehicle(s)
EU Mustang GT Fastback/Auto/Ruby Red/PP/Alarm

I certainly don't have any experience in doing a 360 in my Mustang. But if the roads are just damp and you push that pedal a little too hard, the whees will spin like crazy. PZero's or not (I have Michelin's Pilot Sports).
It's all power or nothing, typical American muscle cars :D

COYOTEV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 401A PP TY
I drive my GT during winter in Canada, no issues at all. You need some common sense and good winter tires (the summer pzeros should not be used below 5 degree celsius, not only they lose grip, but they could crack as well...)

Gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
As you can see, sometimes it seems all too easy.

[ame]

Sponsored

NicoMCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EU GT 2015
I drive my GT during winter in Canada, no issues at all. You need some common sense and good winter tires (the summer pzeros should not be used below 5 degree celsius, not only they lose grip, but they could crack as well...)
Same here in Switzerland, I use the Snow/Wet mode when there is snow or heavy rain, works like a wonder because you can dose better.

All in all it is a question of dosage, I never had problems but I guess I was already accustomed with the previous generation and the V6 with solid rear axle.

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
That's what I'm afraid of... we have MAAAAANY summer days here where the temp is at or below 5 degrees... !

I like the third lady from the right best.
Uhm... ladies?! Are you telling me my adblocker is blocking ladies now?!! :D

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
As you can see, sometimes it seems all too easy.

With video's like this around I always wonder what went wrong. I mean there are thousands of these cars and many video's show people just going WOT without any issues.

So in this particular video what went wrong ?
- No traction control ?
- More gas after already losing traction ?
- Poor counter steering (or non at all)
- Dumping the glutch into 2nd/3rd in a slight bend ?

He also doesn't seem to even brake once not even after the car stops going sideways.
Sponsored