Sponsored

Gen3 Shortblock With Gen2 Heads, Whats Needed?

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Seriously considering getting a gen3 coyote short block, but would be using my gen2 heads.

I know the head-bolts are different (11mm vs 12mm). I've heard I can just pickup any gen3 head stud kit and put my gen2 heads right on, is that true, and is it just any generic headbolt kit for a gen3?

Also I think I just use the gen2 coyote factory head gasket and gen2 oil filter cooler/housing, right?

Anything else that needs consideration?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Run gen3 ARP head studs and gen3 head gaskets. Gen2 oil cooler will fit on the gen3 block.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Run gen3 ARP head studs and gen3 head gaskets. Gen2 oil cooler will fit on the gen3 block.
Are the gen3 headbolts just longer? Is that why the headstud kit works?

Also are you sure gen3 headgasket? Ive only heard people say to use the gen2 gasket.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
For those that are reading this, the gen 3 head studs will fit through the gen2 head bolt holes, allowing you to just use head studs to clamp the head and block together.

I bought the gen 3 head gasket, and ofc it looks like I will need the gen 2 head gasket.

This guy was pretty helpful:

So in summary. Looks like you will need gen 2 head gasket, gen 2 coyote oil adapter, gen 3 coyote head studs. I will update when its running and if I needed to do anything else.

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Following for knowledge

Sponsored

xgxbulletxgx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Looking to do the same thing. In for info. Anyone have info on best rings and gap for boost?

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Looking to do the same thing. In for info. Anyone have info on best rings and gap for boost?
Just keep in mind the high compression ratio with the gen 3 block.

Lund told me I would only be able to run 8-9lbs on 91. Couple more on e85. Although I think I saw one forum member claim he was running 20lbs+ with the same setup, but don't know the fuel/cams.

I am doing a N/A build but the previous owner gapped the rings for boost. I saw some good discussion on ring gap on the forum if you do a quick search.

I'll keep everyone updated. The motor got picked up finally and is currently being shipped. Just have to wait for it to be delivered, my head studs to arrive, and my heads to get back from the machine shop. Hopefully, it will be done this month.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Although if you are just doing boost, I would sleeve a gen 2 block. It costs around 2k to get a block sleeved. Then you don't have to worry about the block being a failure point.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Although if you are just doing boost, I would sleeve a gen 2 block. It costs around 2k to get a block sleeved. Then you don't have to worry about the block being a failure point.
11mm head studs on gen2, 12mm on gen3.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
you can have a gen2 modified to run 12mm studs. i wound be very surprised if you could get a gen2 sleeved for 2k. it's 1k just for the sleeves. most shops that know what they are doing want 3k+. I would just use a predator block. you can use all the same ring materials as a gen2 no big deal gap depends

Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
you can build a coyote with any year block and any year heads. just make sure you always use a gasket that matches the head

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
you can have a gen2 modified to run 12mm studs. i wound be very surprised if you could get a gen2 sleeved for 2k. it's 1k just for the sleeves. most shops that know what they are doing want 3k+. I would just use a predator block. you can use all the same ring materials as a gen2 no big deal gap depends
Shop I go to does lots of coyotes and quoted around $2,200. But they use Darton sleeves and you could buy MMR sleeves for a little cheaper.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Shop I go to does lots of coyotes and quoted around $2,200. But they use Darton sleeves and you could buy MMR sleeves for a little cheaper.
not calling you a liar but i would have to see that. also it's still cheaper to go predator

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
the only place i know that will do sleeves for 2k is l&m and it's there sleeve. i would not trust l&m

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
not calling you a liar but i would have to see that. also it's still cheaper to go predator
Could have been more, or they could have quoted a little low as it wasn’t an official quote. Either way it is cheaper to buy a 5.2 block if all your looking for is the bore.
Sponsored