ash-comet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
2016 Mustang GT
I had the Gen 5 Stage 2 whipple kit installed about 2 weeks ago along with LTH, OPG/CS, and Lund Tuned it. The car made 703whp and I was very happy with it. I have put about 400 miles on the car since having the kit installed, and have not really got to enjoy the car because I have been scared of breaking traction or an axel. I put some VMS racing wheels and MT ET Street R's on the rears and some VMS skinnies up front. I had also ordered the DDS 2000hp half shafts, DDS 1000hp driveshaft, and the BMR cradle lockout and vertical links. Unfortunately I was cruising home from church Sunday afternoon and I saw the check engine light come on showing code P0302. I babied the car until I got home which was only about a mile and a half. After working on the car all day yesterday, it looks like cylinder 2 is dead and I am need of a new short block. Not really sure where to go from here, but I am really bummed out because it didn't last anytime at all. And I really don't have the money for a built motor/ trans. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do from here?
Sponsored

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 Whipple Stage 2 / 2018 F150 5.0 Whipple Stage 2
Lkq used motor

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
How do you know your short block is dead?

Did you do a compression test?
Leak test?

Did you check the sparkplugs?

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
What were the numbers from the leak down test? Was it running ok without noise?

I cracked the ring lands in 7 and 8, when I disassembled the motor, the block was fine. No scratches at all. I literally could have just stuck two new pistons in and put back together. Stock pistons are only about $25 a piece. But once you get that far you might as well do at least new higher quality rods/pistons and open up the ring gaps.

Sponsored

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
What were the numbers from the leak down test? Was it running ok without noise?

I cracked the ring lands in 7 and 8, when I disassembled the motor, the block was fine. No scratches at all. I literally could have just stuck two new pistons in and put back together. Stock pistons are only about $25 a piece. But once you get that far you might as well do at least new higher quality rods/pistons and open up the ring gaps.
Wow sorry this happened to you whats the reason for cracked ring lands?

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
I was thinking about getting a Gen 5 Whipple for my 2017 5.0 but this is making me scared.

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Wow sorry this happened to you whats the reason for cracked ring lands?
9-11 lbs of boost, heat. I ran the living hell out of it all the time. 160mph highway pulls uphill. Bound to happen. Lasted for 9000 miles.

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I was thinking about getting a Gen 5 Whipple for my 2017 5.0 but this is making me scared.
Anything can happen. Your increasing output by about 40-45%. You think ford engineered in that much safety factor? If the factory was specing it at that level they would change everything. Bearing clearances, ring gaps, materials, cooling, etc.

Now, can you get away with it. Sure. Depends on alot of factors. Obviously it's not going to last as long as a stock motor. Something is going to give. 400 miles or 30k miles. You a gambling man? Just make sure you have a bankroll to cover the losses.

Sponsored

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
Stay with Whipple tune, add a little Boostane to pump gas and make sure to put some heat in the motor before you beat the hell out of it and you will be just fine.
I would agree with this, also don't be scared. He dropped a cylinder after only 400 miles with the Whipple, so one of three things likely happened:
1. Tune was really off. (Never tuned by Lund, but lots of people are and they seem to be reliable for the most part, so doubt this was the case)
2. Motor was already hurt before putting the Whipple on it.
3. Got some really bad gas. (This happened to me when the guy delivering the gas put 87 in the 93 tanks)

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
HMM, I was going to recommend the opposite. Do not go with the whipple tune and get something custom from Lund or PBD. These guys are great and will tune specifically for your car, not a canned tune. Also you can ask them to tune it to your specs. My Street tune is softer than whipple's ,shifts at 7k and is trying to add timing everywhere in the range. With that being said I agree with Bluelightning. After all of my research there isn't really a definitive reason why engines have let go. My best guess is the motors were already hurt, either from the factoring or the driver?

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I hate to say it but at coyote compression ratio and boost anything being off can lead to failure. The highest compression ratio any oem runs with boost is 11/1 in the bmw b58 and they only run I believe 7 psi and gdi. With pfi I don’t think any oem runs over 9.5/1 compression. They run conservative on compression and boost in case anything isn’t quite right the engine will survive. I do believe any boosted coyote on pump gas is one minor mishap away from broken parts.

OP
OP

ash-comet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I would agree with this, also don't be scared. He dropped a cylinder after only 400 miles with the Whipple, so one of three things likely happened:
1. Tune was really off. (Never tuned by Lund, but lots of people are and they seem to be reliable for the most part, so doubt this was the case)
2. Motor was already hurt before putting the Whipple on it.
3. Got some really bad gas. (This happened to me when the guy delivering the gas put 87 in the 93 tanks)
The tune from Lund was spot on, and it was not aggressive at all. You are right, the motor could have been hurt before I had the whipple installed. But what I believe to be the case is that I put 93 in and it may have just been really bad quality and it fried the piston. The car drives 100% normal until 3k rpm, then it starts quivering really bad.
Sponsored