Gen 5 Whipple impact on front suspension

5OSONIC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB CS
Does anyone know how much of an impact a Gen 5 Whipple kit (with oversized HE) will have on the front suspension? How much more of a drop should I be expecting?

I will be buying springs pretty soon, and want to make sure I use an appropriate set up. I'm currently having an internal war with myself on which direction to lean to:

1)GT350R fronts (.7" drop) , old SP083 rears (.5" drop)

2)GT350 R fronts (.7" drop), new SP083 rears (.75" drop) (in case I can't find the old springs) (Would be hopeful that the fronts would drop significantly more on the front with the Whipple to avoid reverse rake)

3)New SP083s all around (.875" front) (.75" rear)

4)Something else??

I currently have Steeda Pro Action shocks/struts (non adjustable), but I imagine I would probably need to upgrade to the FP track shocks/struts to better handle these springs rates, specially with the added weight of the Whipple (still not sure how much added weight a GEN 5 Kit adds LOL)

Thanks
Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
Last edited:
OP
OP

5OSONIC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB CS
I was in a similar situation and it is discussed a bit here: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/m6g-suspension-nirvana.122473/page-4#post-2733163 I bought the SP083s but I have not put them in yet so I can't say how the ride height compares to my existing setup. Also, howdy from the peninsula!
My concern is that the SP083 fronts with the addition of the Whipple weight will be just as low as the Steeda progressives. I'd like my car to sit just a tiny bit higher than it is currently. Put the springs on tonight and let me know how low it is! LOL

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
@BmacIL asserts that the 83s will drop slightly less than the 89s, so here’s to hoping! I’m putting them on next weekend along with a bunch of other suspension crapola.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
My concern is that the SP083 fronts with the addition of the Whipple weight will be just as low as the Steeda progressives. I'd like my car to sit just a tiny bit higher than it is currently. Put the springs on tonight and let me know how low it is! LOL
You have nothing to fear. The SP083s drop the car much less than the Steeda progressives to start with, and the SP083s have a higher rate—and are linear.

It takes 250lbs of additional weight to lower the SP083s an inch in the front; the Steeda progressives will compress it’s helper-spring portion (unknown quantity) with 145lbs (or perhaps less), then it takes 225lbs to lower an inch after that.

In the end, it is mathematically impossible for the SP083s to drop lower than the Steeda Progressives when adding a supercharger.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The front drop with the 083 fronts and the Whipple should be right around 1". With the GT350R fronts, you'd likely see ~0.8-0.85" drop, close to the SP083 without the added front weight.

OP
OP

5OSONIC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB CS
The front drop with the 083 fronts and the Whipple should be right around 1". With the GT350R fronts, you'd likely see ~0.8-0.85" drop, close to the SP083 without the added front weight.
That front drop with the GT350R springs+ Whipple would be perfect with the old rear SP083s... Sell me your rear springs :crackup:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
That front drop with the GT350R springs+ Whipple would be perfect with the old rear SP083s... Sell me your rear springs :crackup:
If you can wait a few months...