Sponsored

Gen 3 oem fluid damper gen 1/2 compatible?

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
So I've been reading that ford upgraded the gen 3 damper to a fluid damper but looks like they didn't change the opg/tg. With the increased rpm and looks like there are much fewer complaints of broken opg I would say it would be a good option for those with previous gens looking to stay within the realm of boltons but increasing the rpm but don't want to fork out the money for opg/tg. I'm not going to talk about fi applications though.

So does anyone know if they are compatible? I'm still relatively new to the coyote scene so this may be a dumb question. I also expect that the oem fluid damper should be a fair amount cheaper than an aftermarket ati for example.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Nate_V8

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
I'm hoping to see a bit more input about the gen 3 damper

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost
It's interchangeable but it weighs more than 15 lbs.

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I believe you need to take into account the weight of the oe twin disc clutch in the 3rd gen as well.

The last engine I had machined, they wanted the dampener and clutch assembly brought in with the crank.

Otherwise please continue this topic. I'm all for an oe dampener upgrade if we're able to confirm its actually an upgrade

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nate_V8

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
Yes how much does the stock gen 2 damper weigh? And a heavier damper is exactly a negative if it does it's job well. I'm sure harmonics at 8k rpm are very dangerous. The heavier damper doesn't seem to impact the gen 3 performance or at least I haven't heard anything bad about it.

So this heavier damper would have no negative impact on the gen 1/2?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I believe you need to take into account the weight of the oe twin disc clutch in the 3rd gen as well.
Shouldn't be an issue, the engine is internally balanced.

You don't hear people having to take apart their engine and get it re-balanced when they go with a lightened/aluminum flywheel for example. Nor do you hear that when people install prochargers on their car which adds a much heavier dual belt damper.

You will be fine installing and running this damper on your Gen 1 or 2. How much of an upgrade is up for debate, but should be a little bit better than the earlier gen ones.

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Probably a worthy update IMO, if planning on revving up to 7500-7800. I will consider doing it as well when I got the 2018+ intake manifold on my 2017 GT

OP
OP
Nate_V8

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
Ok on the balancing.

As for a little bit better, I'm inclined to think it might be a very good upgrade. Seeing the rate of failures seems to be so much less even with a 7500rpm redline and plenty of people getting tunes and supercharging. Don't the gen 3 also have a small bump in compression? Which would create even more harmful harmonics at high rpm yet they are still the same oil pump gears from gen2.

Also a quick browse on this forum shows that some gen2s with the ATI super damper have still had their stock oil pump gears break. Perhaps that extra weight while being a fluid damper is what makes them able to protect the opg better. Again with increased compression and higher rpm you would think the opg would break more seeing as they are the exact same as the gen2.

OP
OP
Nate_V8

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
I took a look around and found them priced at around $225. I'm going to contact ford and see what they say about it

Sponsored

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Shouldn't be an issue, the engine is internally balanced.

You don't hear people having to take apart their engine and get it re-balanced when they go with a lightened/aluminum flywheel for example. Nor do you hear that when people install prochargers on their car which adds a much heavier dual belt damper.

You will be fine installing and running this damper on your Gen 1 or 2. How much of an upgrade is up for debate, but should be a little bit better than the earlier gen ones.
Agreed that it's internally balanced and shouldn't impact it. We are relying on the neutral balance of each component front and rear of the crank. I'd be curious to know how neutral those items actually are and the difference from 2nd gen to 3rd gen.

Its true you don't! I'd bet my car that even if Ford said the balance was changed by a lighter or heavier flywheel/dampener no body would actually the spend the money to rectify it! Same with any supercharger. Its just not the budget most of us are working with. And the testing for the aftermarket just doesn't lend it self to the lengths of the OEs. Oil pump gears being needed or not as an example.

The most we are likely to get is people running it and claiming it kept failure at bay or that it failed and was the cause. I believe the rubber ones in OE applications are specific to certain frequencies and rpm ranges. Maybe Ford will offer specifics

Is the voodoo dampener as heavy as the 3rd gen?

OP
OP
Nate_V8

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
I'll let you guys know what I find out. I contacted someone today who is going to give my questions to a ford engineer. Looking forward to the reply.

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
The 12/13 boss engines have their own harmonic balancer for $130. This engine was spun to 7500rpm stock.

With the gen 2 being designed heavily off the boss, this might be a good option to consider.

OP
OP
Nate_V8

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
The 12/13 boss engines have their own harmonic balancer for $130. This engine was spun to 7500rpm stock.

With the gen 2 being designed heavily off the boss, this might be a good option to consider.
How do I find out more details on the boss damper? I did a quick search and came up with nothing. I'll dig a bit more later

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
At tasca.com it's an option under the 12/13 years.

there is literature from Ford or Ford performance about the gen 2 improvements and casting the heads off the boss ones etc.. ill see if I can find it later.

If you talk to Ford, ask about that dampener too!

Any boss opg failures known about?
Sponsored