Sponsored

Gas Stoves Might Be Phased Out Entirely to Help Save the Planet

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Meanwhile somewhere in Belle Mead -- a ritzy exclusive area on the SW outer edge of Nashville, TN for the elite and privileged -- every light burns and the gas fireplaces are ablaze in the Gore family's 26 room shanty.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
These people are crazy. We need to vote for some people with common sense.

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
every light burns and the gas fireplaces are ablaze in the Gore family's 26 room shanty
As they do in Mar-a-Lago in its 126-rooms. Not all Democrats want to save the planet and not all Republicans want it to burn. Everyone does need to understand what is happening with our planet as it is changing. Then we need to look to our science community and our governments to make rational decisions on how to save it. Until then I'm not giving up my gas range or my V8.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
As they do in Mar-a-Lago in its 126-rooms. Not all Democrats want to save the planet and not all Republicans want it to burn. Everyone does need to understand what is happening with our planet as it is changing. Then we need to look to our science community and our governments to make rational decisions on how to save it. Until then I'm not giving up my gas range or my V8.
Can you explain why you think the planet needs saving? And what are we saving it from?

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Can you explain why you think the planet needs saving? And what are we saving it from?
In short we need to save the planet from ourselves. We, all of us, are destroying parts of the planet that will never be rebuilt. I'm not talking about natural evolution, I get that. I'm talking about man made destruction. It's not just climate change, although that is certainly a part of it.
I saw the changes first hand last year when I visited Alaska. Receding glaciers, changes in wildlife patterns, etc. My wife and I spoke with many of the local folks including native Alaskans. They are very concerned about the changes that are taking place in their state over the last 10-20 years. This past summer was even worse. This is real, they are living it.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I visited Alaska. Receding glaciers, changes in wildlife patterns, etc.
And all this is directly related to carbon emissions?

And how will removing one source of emissions (eg. gas stoves running) but replacing it with another source of emissions (eg. the non-renewable method of creating electricity) going to solve that issue?

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Didn't say it was. I'm not a scientist. Just relating what I saw. Somethings broken and it needs to be fixed.

And how will removing one source of emissions (eg. gas stoves running) but replacing it with another source of emissions (eg. the non-renewable method of creating electricity) going to solve that issue?
Honestly I do not think it will. On its own. I think that there are multiple solutions for our many issues. One thing I know for sure, people do not like change and they do not like things taken away from them. Even if it was for their own good and they knew that. My Father in Law is 91 and no longer has the reflexes and eyesight to drive. If any of you have been in that situation you know what taking his car from him was like. He knew it wasn't safe for him to drive but he gave all of us holy hell anyway. So taking away your gas powered car, your gas powered range, etc. is going to very, very difficult. That said regardless of your position it is going to happen, eventually. Hopefully not in my lifetime.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
In short we need to save the planet from ourselves. We, all of us, are destroying parts of the planet that will never be rebuilt. I'm not talking about natural evolution, I get that. I'm talking about man made destruction. It's not just climate change, although that is certainly a part of it.
I saw the changes first hand last year when I visited Alaska. Receding glaciers, changes in wildlife patterns, etc. My wife and I spoke with many of the local folks including native Alaskans. They are very concerned about the changes that are taking place in their state over the last 10-20 years. This past summer was even worse. This is real, they are living it.
You do realize that at one time most of the earth was ice, right? And all the ice melted without there being any people around?

So you want to stop wildlife from changing? You realize wildlife always changes as well, right?

I think you are getting too wound up about the natural order of things. Change is normal and natural. Trying to overpower nature seems foolish to me.

And there's nothing that you've talked about that will harm the planet. The planet is fine and will be long after we are gone.

Sponsored

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I believe in conservation...in moderation. I don't believe in hunting something to extinction OR SIMPLY FOR TROPHY. I believe in creating efficiency. I believe in alternative but common sense solutions. I recycle. I adopt pets rather than going to a breeder. I am a steward of this planet as we all should be......to some level. BUT, I don't follow the 'save-the-planet' cult movement of Al Gore or any of his crony followers regardless of which side of the isle they sit on.

If Al wishes to stand on a street corner and preach like a loon holy roller (as he has and still does), then he needs set the example of his ravings. But NO! He is privileged to do as he wishes because HE IS AL GORE! Likewise his "A" lister's have the same privilege invoked on them. They are all exempt but expect middle America to march to the drumbeat that they set forth in their creed.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),

Well, as far as this goes, electrical generation on a large scale is significantly more efficient. And electrical into heat is more efficient than an open fire such as a gas stove (not as efficient as a closed fire such as a furnace).

so yes, getting rid of gas stoves and replacing with electric would be more efficient in regards to emissions per unit of useful heat. If they were to cut the gas lines to force this, I'll just keep my gas stove and convert it to propane and install a tank though, I can't stand cooking on electric, probably because I almost exclusively cook in cast iron, and combining two things that require time to heat and cool makes for a very pita process.

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I believe in conservation...in moderation. I don't believe in hunting something to extinction OR SIMPLY FOR TROPHY. I believe in creating efficiency. I believe in alternative but common sense solutions. I recycle. I adopt pets rather than going to a breeder. I am a steward of this planet as we all should be......to some level. BUT, I don't follow the 'save-the-planet' cult movement of Al Gore or any of his crony followers regardless of which side of the isle they sit on.

If Al wishes to stand on a street corner and preach like a loon holy roller (as he has and still does), then he needs set the example of his ravings. But NO! He is privileged to do as he wishes because HE IS AL GORE! Likewise his "A" lister's have the same privilege invoked on them. They are all exempt but expect middle America to march to the drumbeat that they set forth in their creed.
I like to confirm everything I read. I have to admit I find this disappointing.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tale-two-houses/

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
You do realize that at one time most of the earth was ice, right? And all the ice melted without there being any people around?

So you want to stop wildlife from changing? You realize wildlife always changes as well, right?

I think you are getting too wound up about the natural order of things. Change is normal and natural. Trying to overpower nature seems foolish to me.

And there's nothing that you've talked about that will harm the planet. The planet is fine and will be long after we are gone.
My visit to Alaska allowed me to see situations that are not natural in nature. They are not normal. These situations have been exacerbated by things that man are doing. This pertains to the land and wildlife. Man has done harm to this beautiful planet. At some point we are all going to have to take stock of this and start to change. Maybe you and I will be gone but I would prefer a planet that remains healthy for my grandchildren and their future families.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
My visit to Alaska allowed me to see situations that are not natural in nature. They are not normal. These situations have been exacerbated by things that man are doing. This pertains to the land and wildlife. Man has done harm to this beautiful planet. At some point we are all going to have to take stock of this and start to change. Maybe you and I will be gone but I would prefer a planet that remains healthy for my grandchildren and their future families.
So nature is unnatural to you. Are you sure 100% your actions are going to make nature more natural again? Might want to think about it.
Sponsored