Gas Smell After Driving

GoBlueGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 w/ Tech pack, 2022 F150 Tremor
Hey everyone, over the past few days I've noticed a pretty strong smell of gasoline in my garage after coming back from a drive, oddly it seems to be somewhat intermittent. Just to clarify its not burnt fuel or oil, but fresh gas just like if I had spilled some filling the lawn mower, etc.

No change whatsoever in fuel mileage over the last few tanks, temps all running fine, I don’t smell anything while driving the car. I’ve checked the capless fuel filler to make sure it’s closed (it is), also have checked under the hood and have found absolutely nothing. No leaks on garage floor, tried parking it on the driveway yesterday after a drive and then moved it about 20 min after and no leaks/puddles at all.

I recently emptied the passenger side air oil separator and checked the oil otherwise no recent work or changes to the car. Its driving totally fine with no noticeable changes there either.

Any thoughts on other areas to look at before I take it in? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

DaveJP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
You may not have an outright leak, but you could be getting vapors escaping from injector seals or from a loose spark plug...Best bet is to get a gas leak detector(I bought one from Amazon for about $100 and they work great). I had a similar issue with a different vehicle and was able to isolate it to a specific injector seal.

Orange devil

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro,toyoda
Check the fuel neck area as well ..might have to take the wheel and inner fender off .just to be on the safe side .
Sponsored