djone101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
None
Vehicle(s)
None
I am looking for the easiest solution possible :D

If I have to remove the headers then I might as well invest in aftermarket headers with cats and bite the dust.

So you say that on the LH side the whole header and all needs to be removed for the RH side it is bolted and can be removed more easily?
Absolutely right. The 15-17 cats look very similar to the 18+ ones but the 18+ ones have additional pressure sensor take-offs and temperature sensors. The cats have two bricks in - the GPF itself is in front of the rear brick.
Sponsored

Steeda UK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.co.uk
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs

Another thing with headers is the sound level, I have Borla ATAK and I guess it would be way to loud as a daily.
You are correct that would be a thunderously loud combo

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I am not sure how much the GPF filters are muzzling the sound. But I am not overwhelmed with the sound level with the Borla Atak. At least not from inside the cabin.

As you are saying the combo of e.g no filters/and potentially cats and headers would be very loud.

Wonder how much the quite mode helps.

You are correct that would be a thunderously loud combo

Steeda UK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.co.uk
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
I thought that ATAK was not an active system?

And yes I am saying that a headers plus ATAK combo will be mega loud. 8)
Even the difference between hi flow cats and decats wont be that big a difference I would say. It will just be loud.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
They have an active version for the 18+ models.

I like loud but if a I can make it somewhat quiet then it would be good. Now with the ATAK even in track mode at around 70mph I barely here it. Have to get high in the RPM range to bring it to life

I thought that ATAK was not an active system?

And yes I am saying that a headers plus ATAK combo will be mega loud. 8)
Even the difference between hi flow cats and decats wont be that big a difference I would say. It will just be loud.

Sponsored

GW65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT auto convertible
They have an active version for the 18+ models.

I like loud but if a I can make it somewhat quiet then it would be good. Now with the ATAK even in track mode at around 70mph I barely here it. Have to get high in the RPM range to bring it to life
Isn't it going to be throttle-opening related? So if you're cruising at 70 in a high gear, pretty much anything will be quiet. I used to have Borla Stingers on my Vette and there wasn't much "proper" exhaust noise cruising at 70, just drone from resonance unless you hit the gas.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
You are correct. However Borla ATAK being the the loudest cat back I was expecting more from a sound level perspective. I guess these bloody filters is killing the fun.

Maybe headers and Borla resonator would be an option if going that route :like::crying::lipssealed::computerrage:

Isn't it going to be throttle-opening related? So if you're cruising at 70 in a high gear, pretty much anything will be quiet. I used to have Borla Stingers on my Vette and there wasn't much "proper" exhaust noise cruising at 70, just drone from resonance unless you hit the gas.

Last edited:

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Been following this thread, but I'm somewhat confused.

I have an 18 GT. I would have liked to swap out the standard headers as in my limited experience, they seem to restrict flow & sound. However, when I learned the GT had restrictive can-shaped components near the manifolds & coupled with the U.K. MoT test which I assume requires the MoT tester, as part of the MoT test, to visually check for the pressence of these exhaust components.
I gave up any hope of fitting better flowing, better (not necessarily very much louder) sounding, AM exhaust headers.

So what are we saying now?
That there are AM headers for the U.K. which would pass a visual check & contain a road/track spec' high flow CAT?

P.S. I realise the MoT test for my car isn't due until 2022, but I'm not going through the faff of re-fitting OEM manifolds, 2 1/2 years from now.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
kooks and streetfighter do rhd after market long tubes with or without cats in them. 200 cell "green" cats will be enough to get you through the mot and can be added after the headers in the mid pipes if you so wish or do like enoch did and cut the headers to weld in cats.

Sponsored

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
The street fighter manifolds with 200 cell cats failed the emissions miserably....

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
The street fighter manifolds with 200 cell cats failed the emissions miserably....
really? i thought 200's would just scrape through our emissions requirements

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
really? i thought 200's would just scrape through our emissions requirements
I had to make alternative arrangements:shock:

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
yeah i'll do the same come october then saves me shelling out for some cats to bolt in to pass. if you'd passed i was gonna grab the same cats weld on some flanges and success but i'll not even bother now :)
Sponsored