Gas particulate filter on new 18-19 GT?

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
Brought this thread up again as it was receantly pointed out to me that Euro 6.2 regulations (GPF) didn’t come into force on new cars in the U.K. until September 2018.

As my car was registered March 2018, I believe that, by law, my car doesn’t carry the requirement of having a GPF, even though it does have it.

Also checked my log book, and it does say Euro 6 not Euro 6.2

OP
OP
drewzh

drewzh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, Magnetic Grey, Magneride
Vehicle Showcase
Brought this thread up again as it was receantly pointed out to me that Euro 6.2 regulations (GPF) didn’t come into force on new cars in the U.K. until September 2018.

As my car was registered March 2018, I believe that, by law, my car doesn’t carry the requirement of having a GPF, even though it does have it.

Dito, I also noticed that some cars have different Co2 emission specs listed on the V5C which I found odd.

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT
Will have to check mine but I have a feeling it’s 6.2 :crying:

OP
OP
drewzh

drewzh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, Magnetic Grey, Magneride
Vehicle Showcase
Here's my V5C. You can see that my car is Euro 6 and not Euro 6.2. Also note the exhaust emission stats. There was someone on Facebook (I forget who) who had different stats, even though his car was produced at around the same time. I'm curious what everyone else is seeing?
v5c.png

Sponsored

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
Mine is 270 as well

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather

Be careful with this as some regs state that if it was fitted as original equipment it must remain..

An example... cats became law in 94, I had a 94 TVR with cats, but the car was manufactured in 93, so legally I could remove the cats and pass a non cat test.
I did this for years and years.... then the regs changed to say that if the car was manufactured with a cat, then it had to be on the car..

So I was then stuck with a car that could pass non cat emissions tests, but had to have a cat fitted to actually get an MOT certificate..... Go figure

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2018 5.0 GT
Just to update you on this - we have now finished the first UK/European installation of a Whipple supercharger kit on a 2018MY car with Whipple providing everything including the calibration. It retains the standard headers with GPF and works very well.

The increased back pressure in the system does seem to affect the power output but only by around 7% and torque is about 5% lower than a 2017 installation. The car we've finished is a 10 speed auto so it's difficult to compare how it drives directly with a 2015-17 car but our assessment is that the driveability and overall power delivery is more refined than the earlier car - maybe a touch less dramatic but at 600hp it still has plenty more power than you can safely use in the UK at this time of the year. The standard Michelin tyres certainly help with the feeling of confidence.

The 2018+ supercharger kit is quite different to the 2015-17 kit with the screws located in the V of the engine and the heat exchangers on the top. The 2018 engine has less space in the V due to the additional knock sensors (4 instead of 2) and the direct injection fuel system takes up space too hence the redesign. It is engineered to fit RHD and LHD so we no longer need to trim the K brace is needed.

Let me know if anyone needs any more information on this.
I am about to install a Whipple gen 5 stage 2 kit on a EU Mustang 2018, 5.0GT, A10. The car is all standard so as such it has the GPF installed. I am curious to know the experience from the above quoted install. Does the car still run well ? Have You Obeserved any issues from the higher back pressure in the EU versions ? Has Whipple distributed any tune updates and if so has things improved or changed for the worse ? I am all ears and thankful for any updates You might have.... Will of course also share my experience once I get going with the install.

djone101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
None
Vehicle(s)
None
I am about to install a Whipple gen 5 stage 2 kit on a EU Mustang 2018, 5.0GT, A10. The car is all standard so as such it has the GPF installed. I am curious to know the experience from the above quoted install. Does the car still run well ? Have You Obeserved any issues from the higher back pressure in the EU versions ? Has Whipple distributed any tune updates and if so has things improved or changed for the worse ? I am all ears and thankful for any updates You might have.... Will of course also share my experience once I get going with the install.
The calibration for the 2018+ cars seems very good - when we've run on dyno it's about 50hp down on a 15-17 install which given the increased back pressure is understandable. It doesn't quite have the savage shove of the earlier cars but drives extremely well.

Be aware that it's a much slower process to get the tunes from Whipple. With the 15-17 we get one usually within 24 hours. The ones with the GPF can take up to a week. The method of installing the tune is different too - the latest system uses a Tomahawk hand held while the previous system used a Canelope with Flare software.

Bleeding the intercooler cooling system is easier on the 18+ as the pump runs with ignition (previously you used to have to have the engine running) so whist you still have to run the pump and refill lots of times to get the air out it's certainly quicker and less hassle.

Good luck with the install and shout if you need any help.

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
The calibration for the 2018+ cars seems very good - when we've run on dyno it's about 50hp down on a 15-17 install which given the increased back pressure is understandable. It doesn't quite have the savage shove of the earlier cars but drives extremely well.

Be aware that it's a much slower process to get the tunes from Whipple. With the 15-17 we get one usually within 24 hours. The ones with the GPF can take up to a week. The method of installing the tune is different too - the latest system uses a Tomahawk hand held while the previous system used a Canelope with Flare software.

Bleeding the intercooler cooling system is easier on the 18+ as the pump runs with ignition (previously you used to have to have the engine running) so whist you still have to run the pump and refill lots of times to get the air out it's certainly quicker and less hassle.

What about fitting after market headers? That should make it easier.

I believe euro6.2 came into force in the U.K. in September’18, so if the car was registered before then (as was mine) it only needs to be euro6 complient (which is what my log book says - or am I missing something?)

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2018 5.0 GT

Many thanks for the quick and informative response. I have already obtained my Whipple tune using the Tomahawk tool. When distributing the tune Whipple mentioned that a new EU tune version will be produced in roughly a week from now. I will await that version before going for install. I will also dyno my car and plan to share the results once done.

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT
Many thanks for the quick and informative response. I have already obtained my Whipple tune using the Tomahawk tool. When distributing the tune Whipple mentioned that a new EU tune version will be produced in roughly a week from now. I will await that version before going for install. I will also dyno my car and plan to share the results once done.
Look forward to seeing how this turns out, are you fitting this yourself?
Really like the idea of having this on my baby :like:

djone101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
None
Vehicle(s)
None
What about fitting after market headers? That should make it easier.

I believe euro6.2 came into force in the U.K. in September’18, so if the car was registered before then (as was mine) it only needs to be euro6 complient (which is what my log book says - or am I missing something?)
You'd need the tune to reflect the change in the exhaust which would mean having a tune written (by someone like Motorsport and Performance).
I'm not an expert on the latest MOT standards but I suspect anything that interferes with or removes a GPF will be a fail just as a DPF is treated. Any aftermarket headers will barely meet the current MOT standard. Having said that I'm sure you'll still be able to get an MOT if you go to the right place...

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2018 5.0 GT
Look forward to seeing how this turns out, are you fitting this yourself?
Really like the idea of having this on my baby :like:
Yes, me, my brother and some close friends will do the install ourselves. We are a former dragracing team with quite some experience. And the Whipple kit seems very well engineered so I expect the install to be relatively smooth. It will however be more "interesting" with getting a well working tune from Whipple or other US tuners for the EU spec'ed 2018 Mustang. Therefore it is good to hear about Daves experience where the Whipple tune seems to be working well also on our EU GPF Mustangs. Whipple themselves do also claim that they have a good grip on tuning EU GPF Stangs.

When it comes to Dyno results You can in attached picture see the RWHP numbers for the Gen 5 Whipple Stage2 kit installed in a 2018 US Mustang that they themselves present on their website. Dyno results from US customers that has installed the kit seems to be inline with these results. We can as mentioned by Dave in this thread expect to get somewhat lower numbers on our EU Mustangs due to GPF and higher backpressure. Personally I hope and aim to get to at least 650 RWHP, can require some pulleying down from stock pulley to get there but should be feasible.
Whipple Dyno Mustang 2018 Gen 5 Stage2.JPG

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
You'd need the tune to reflect the change in the exhaust which would mean having a tune written (by someone like Motorsport and Performance).
I'm not an expert on the latest MOT standards but I suspect anything that interferes with or removes a GPF will be a fail just as a DPF is treated. Any aftermarket headers will barely meet the current MOT standard. Having said that I'm sure you'll still be able to get an MOT if you go to the right place...
My thoughts exactly.
Sponsored