Garage Door Opener Quirks

WERA49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Roush Supercharger Premium 401A
Does anyone have problems with the garage door opener?

Mine will open my garage door perfectly, but will not close it.
Sponsored

Highvolts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT, 1965 Mustang 289
Mine don't work at all cuz our opener is too old.

Wingnutzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang EB
My openers are 23 and 5 years old — both work fine, up and down!

yours is a strange problem. Does it work correctly with your remote (not car)? If yes, I’d try reprogramming the Homelink in the car. Is is the procedure that worked for me.

1. park under the garage door motor or nearby!
  2. erase saved codes on homelink by pressing both side button on the remote for 20 seconds (until light blinks rapidly)
  3. hold remote close to the homelink, press and hold both buttons (open button on remote, desired button on homelink) until the homelink blinks rapidly, then release both buttons.
  4. quickly go to the garage door motor (you have 20-30 seconds) and press the program button on the garage door motor
  5. go to your car quickly to press and hold the desired homelink button (until garage motor light flashes)
  6. done

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Does anyone have problems with the garage door opener?

Mine will open my garage door perfectly, but will not close it.
Is it not closing after you pull out of the garage? I had an issue a couple of years ago where I could open it from the car inside the garage but had a lot of trouble after I pulled out when trying to close it as I went down the drive way after exiting. Turns out a cheap Chinese LED high output corncob light bulb was causing RFI and interfering with the signal from the car. I had it on a motion sensor in a fixture near the opener unit so it was on when leaving, but not when arriving home, so I could open it just fine as I came down the street. I was close enough to the opener when still in the garage to overcome the interference. Took me a while to figure out what was going on. When the bulb was on, opener would not work; when it was off, worked fine.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Is it not closing after you pull out of the garage? I had an issue a couple of years ago where I could open it from the car inside the garage but had a lot of trouble after I pulled out when trying to close it as I went down the drive way after exiting. Turns out a cheap Chinese LED high output corncob light bulb was causing RFI and interfering with the signal from the car. I had it on a motion sensor in a fixture near the opener unit so it was on when leaving, but not when arriving home, so I could open it just fine as I came down the street. I was close enough to the opener when still in the garage to overcome the interference. Took me a while to figure out what was going on. When the bulb was on, opener would not work; when it was off, worked fine.
This ^^^
Unscrew any LED light bulb that is powered by the garage door opener. If your door now works as it should, this is your problem. Either replace those bulbs with incandescent versions or use these interference free LED bulbs specific for garage door openers: CHLED1 LED Light Bulb

Sponsored

OP
OP
WERA49

WERA49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Roush Supercharger Premium 401A
Everyone, thank you for the help and information. It did not know about the interference free LED's. Thank you StangTime!

It appears that my system is quirky. If I open the garage door from inside and drive out, I can close the garage door from the car. If I use the wall switch to open the garage door then drive out, I cannot close the garage door from the car.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Everyone, thank you for the help and information. It did not know about the interference free LED's. Thank you StangTime!

It appears that my system is quirky. If I open the garage door from inside and drive out, I can close the garage door from the car. If I use the wall switch to open the garage door then drive out, I cannot close the garage door from the car.
Could it be an odd security feature of your garage door system? The method used to open the door must also be the method to close it?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I'll add a little tip/trick here - and it's worked flawlessly for me and my garage door opener.

Most if not many garage door openers have a short wire protruding out of them. This wire may be white or a different color and is usually only about 6"-8" long coming out of the unit on the top or side of it. This wire is what receives the signal from your garage door opener's remote OR any other type of HomeLink or aftermarket hand held device.

Usually most garage door opener signal issues can be a few things:
- LED lightbulbs being used in place of incandescent light bulbs in the garage door opener. LED bulbs contain electronics that can interfere with the Garage Opener signal (antenna).

- The garage door opener is usually installed at least a good 12-14ft back from the actual door. Any interference can affect the transmission signal to the opener (ie: excessive building material metal, other electronics equipment, radio waves, other devices using a FCC signals in your home OR other surrounding homes, etc).

- Antenna on the opener can't get a strong enough signal from the transmitter due to its short length.

To solve all of the above:
* Buy or get at the minimum a 20ft length of standard copper core speaker wire.
* Strip only one end of the wire.
* Go to your garage door opener, strip the end of the antenna signal wire.
* Use a twist cap, solder or manual splice method - tie together the 20ft length of "extension" to the stripped end of the short antenna wire.
* Tape off any exposed wire from the splice point.
* Run the 20ft extension from the opener, following one of the outer most garage door tracks to the very front of your garage door opening (above the door, but inside the garage).
* Properly secure the extension using zip ties or electric tape so it's not hanging down onto the garage door track or in the way of any moving components of the door. Depending on how your garage or building is designed, in some instances you can go a step further and fish the wire from inside the front of the garage up into the outer soffit so the wire is external to the garage, but hidden.

That extension will eliminate 99% of the above noted garage door opener issues. It extends the length of the garage door opener antenna providing greater signal strength.

I can literally open or close my garage door from a block away after adding an extension to mine - and there hasn't been an issue since using HomeLink or aftermarket handheld door openers.

I have a Chamberlin garage door opener that is now going on at least 10 years old and I upgraded the incandescent bulbs to LEDs.

I had similar issues as those posting where I could not either open or close the door even being near it or the sporadic works/doesn't work concerns. After adding my antenna extension, it's worked without issues and has far greater operational distance than it ever had previously.

Try it. :)
Sponsored