Sponsored

Tacoflvrd

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD sport
I wanted to get rid of my garage door opener on my visor and hide it with an oem looking button. Since I’ve got lots of poverty buttons, I have plenty of space.

I couldn’t find a momentary “Garage Door” button. So, I order a “Flux Reactor” 20x20 butting from caliraised led. I ordered a two pack of garage door openers from Amazon and opened one up. I’m pretty terrible with electrical so just stripped the wires I needed and touched them to different legs on the switch until the led lit up.

once the rain stops later this week I plan to wire up the switch for the backlight led.
2024 Tacoma Garage door opener mod: installed as dash button (in 2024 Tacoma TRD Sport) IMG_7183

2024 Tacoma Garage door opener mod: installed as dash button (in 2024 Tacoma TRD Sport) IMG_7172

2024 Tacoma Garage door opener mod: installed as dash button (in 2024 Tacoma TRD Sport) IMG_7171

2024 Tacoma Garage door opener mod: installed as dash button (in 2024 Tacoma TRD Sport) IMG_7174

2024 Tacoma Garage door opener mod: installed as dash button (in 2024 Tacoma TRD Sport) IMG_7177
Sponsored

CuriousTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2
What a neat idea. I was also disappointed by not having homelink in the base OR. May have to try this out! Did you just ziptie the board behind switch panel?

OP
OP
Tacoflvrd

Tacoflvrd

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD sport
For now it's just tucked back in there. Once I wire it up this week, I may attach it somewhere in there.

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
I wanted to get rid of my garage door opener on my visor and hide it with an oem looking button. Since I’ve got lots of poverty buttons, I have plenty of space.

I couldn’t find a momentary “Garage Door” button. So, I order a “Flux Reactor” 20x20 butting from caliraised led. I ordered a two pack of garage door openers from Amazon and opened one up. I’m pretty terrible with electrical so just stripped the wires I needed and touched them to different legs on the switch until the led lit up.

once the rain stops later this week I plan to wire up the switch for the backlight led.
IMG_7183.jpeg

IMG_7172.jpeg

IMG_7171.jpeg

IMG_7174.jpeg

IMG_7177.jpeg
Very cool! Maybe you can help our friends with the cybertruck. They don't have a built in garge door opener either...

A&P Mech

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Tacoma
That look great. How do you remove the poverty buttons for replacement?

OP
OP
Tacoflvrd

Tacoflvrd

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD sport
That look great. How do you remove the poverty buttons for replacement?
The angled panel underneath, with the bigger switches slides up towards you. You then have access to the blanks from under them.

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester & Subaru Ascent
Got to say I freaking love this idea. I might try to steel it for something.

osaflog

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road

IMG_7183.jpeg

IMG_7172.jpeg

IMG_7171.jpeg

IMG_7174.jpeg

IMG_7177.jpeg
You said you couldn't find a momentary switch, so how do you plan to get the toggle switch to work the garage door controller? I'm planning on doing the same, but like you, I couldn't find a oem tacoma momentary switch. I ended up just buying a non-oem momentary switch. Won't look as clean, but I can always swap it out once they come out with OEM switch.

OP
OP
Tacoflvrd

Tacoflvrd

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD sport
You said you couldn't find a momentary switch, so how do you plan to get the toggle switch to work the garage door controller? I'm planning on doing the same, but like you, I couldn't find a oem tacoma momentary switch. I ended up just buying a non-oem momentary switch. Won't look as clean, but I can always swap it out once they come out with OEM switch.
oh, it works just fine with this switch. You just have to remember to hit the switch a second time so you don’t drain the battery. It doesn’t effect the door on the second push. The switch has to return to the off position before it can activate the opener again.

osaflog

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road
oh, it works just fine with this switch. You just have to remember to hit the switch a second time so you don’t drain the battery. It doesn’t effect the door on the second push. The switch has to return to the off position before it can activate the opener again.
Oh yeah, right. I thought it would get stuck in the on position; just have to remember to press it again. Ha. Maybe I'll do the same. It does look way better than a generic switch.

Mykale220

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Off-road (cement)
Do you not have the homelink buttons on your rearview mirror for programming garage door openers etc?
Mine does, but I have the premium with the camera RVM, so that might be why. I think this year they made a big effort to make it seen halfway justifiable to pay the ridiculous extra cost for the premium package by not including something’s in the standard OR and sport that had always been standard, like the home link buttons, and an opening back. I have a premium so I’m not personally affected but a Tacoma that doesn’t have an opening back glass is just sad in my opinion that should be standard. It’s kind of always been a standard Tacoma feature.
Sponsored