Sponsored

Gap in between wheel and brake rotor

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Hey guys,

In the back of your cars, specifically you non-R guys, do you have a small gap or so in between your fully installed and secured wheel and your brake rotor? I just noticed this as my front wheels are flush, my rear wheels aren't and I'm on my stockers. I noticed this as I have heard some harsh sounds coming from my rear passenger side going over bumps and I thought my damn wheels were coming off. I pulled into a parking lot and reset my wheels, gap is still there, torqued down to 150. Anyone else?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Hey guys,

In the back of your cars, specifically you non-R guys, do you have a small gap or so in between your fully installed and secured wheel and your brake caliper? I just noticed this as my front wheels are flush, my rear wheels aren't and I'm on my stockers. I noticed this as I have heard some harsh sounds coming from my rear passenger side going over bumps and I thought my damn wheels were coming off. I pulled into a parking lot and reset my wheels, gap is still there, torqued down to 150. Anyone else?
Can you post a pic? I'm having a hard time visualizing what you are talking about. I can run outside and look at my car. I have to check the oil anyway.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Hey guys,

In the back of your cars, specifically you non-R guys, do you have a small gap or so in between your fully installed and secured wheel and your brake caliper? I just noticed this as my front wheels are flush, my rear wheels aren't and I'm on my stockers. I noticed this as I have heard some harsh sounds coming from my rear passenger side going over bumps and I thought my damn wheels were coming off. I pulled into a parking lot and reset my wheels, gap is still there, torqued down to 150. Anyone else?

do you mean rotor?

Lilby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I'm a bit confused by you saying your front wheels are flush? Here are some pics I literally just walked out a took of the wheels seated against the rotors, gap from the spokes to the calipers, and tried to show the gap between the wheel barrels and the calipers (looks like at least a 1/2" gap there, really tough to see). If these pics don't do it, PM me your number. I work from home and can walk into the garage and go through it live with you and/or do a Facetime call if you have an iPhone so you can see it with your own eyes as well.
IMG_0282_small.jpg
IMG_0283_small.jpg
IMG_0284_small.jpg

Sponsored

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Your rear looks like mine, and the front also looks similar. The "flat" wheel interface surface of the rotor is about the same size as the wheel surface in the rear, but is ~.2" larger (in radius) than the wheel surface at the front.

That gap you see on the rear is just a chamfer on the wheel. Because the interface diameters are roughly the same between the rotor and wheel, it looks like a gap. Because the front interface surface is so much larger than the wheel, you don't notice it's chamfer as much, even though it is there.

Last edited:

Lilby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I see what you mean, the front wheel "mates" to the rotor flush and the rear wheel has a 1/16" or 1/8" gap around the outer edge. Mine looks exactly like that as well both front and rear. Never noticed that. From that gap, I'd have to assume that the rear rotors have a bit of a raised surface under the area where the wheel makes contact that leaves that small gap?

In any event, mine looks just like yours.

OP
OP
nastang87xx

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Cool, thanks [MENTION=30240]Lilby[/MENTION]. I mean I'm not concerned about the gap, I'm just more concerned that what my present state is just normal.

Lilby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
understood my friend, from what I can tell from the huge sample set of 2 (haha) it looks normal. As far as the noise, if you go further into troubleshooting and want to compare other areas just let me know and I'll take some pics / video, whatever you need. Good luck!

Sponsored
OP
OP
nastang87xx

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Yeah i know what I'm going to do about the noise already. Take some of my trunk junk out like a jack and such things lol. It also could be my tires too transmitting a ton of road noise going over bumps as my rears are pretty much toast and aren't Pilot Super Sports. It's kind of an unsettling noise, almost sounds just like a shot strut mount noise when going over bumps. But since there's no strut mounts in the rear...

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I noticed this same thing the first time I removed/reinstalled my wheels. There's a chamfer on the mounting surface that makes it look like the back wheels aren't sitting completely flush on the rotors. It's very deceptive and I definitely spent a few extra minutes making myself 100% sure that the rear rims were mounted properly.

OP
OP
nastang87xx

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Dude I'm tellin gyou lol. I nearly shot a turd through my shorts and into the wall behind me when I saw that. It also didn't help that when I checked my torque on my lug nuts they were unacceptably loose. I feel pretty stupid that I let them get to that point. I'd say a few were less than 100lb ft.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Count mine as three for the sample size as mine looks the same also.

Rimox51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
So how about the gap between the caliper and inside of the rim. Anyone have scrapes on the caliper surface? (not visible with the wheel on).

With either aftermarket or stock rims??
Sponsored