Sponsored

FYI: This is What is: "Not" Covered By an Extended Ford Warranty Plan

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Brake pads, Wipers and alignment are not covered for 3/36.
True this pads iirc 12 12 wipers 6 months alignment and tire balance 6 months
Sponsored

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
This is and is not true: they are for sure covered for defects in materials or workmanship. They are not covered for wear. Defects in those wearable components are something that would typically show up almost immediately. As an example, just bought the car new and on the way home got caught in a rain storm and the wipers have a bad spot that streaks. That should be covered as a defect. Now, if it was fine for a while then the wear happened in what you think was too short a time, probably will have a hard time getting that covered. I have had wipers and alignment both covered because it was nearly immediate. Brake pads are the same way- if there is a real defect, covered. If you wear them down and then try to say defect, not covered.

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This is and is not true: they are for sure covered for defects in materials or workmanship. They are not covered for wear. Defects in those wearable components are something that would typically show up almost immediately. As an example, just bought the car new and on the way home got caught in a rain storm and the wipers have a bad spot that streaks. That should be covered as a defect. Now, if it was fine for a while then the wear happened in what you think was too short a time, probably will have a hard time getting that covered. I have had wipers and alignment both covered because it was nearly immediate. Brake pads are the same way- if there is a real defect, covered. If you wear them down and then try to say defect, not covered.
I think that was kind of what stated

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I didn't say they were not covered. I said they weren't covered under 3/36k. I replied to someone saying "EVERYTHING" was covered under 3/36 .. and that's not true

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Correct, IIRC, they're covered for the first 12k. However, as Mike stated, such parts are covered during the 3/36 for defects or workmanship IF the failure is found to be as such.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
One alignment is covered for the first 12 months

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
which any of them ā€œWILLā€ Void the warranty
Nothing will void the ENTIRE warranty, that's where you're getting confused.

Simply upgrading your brake pads won't instantly void your entire warranty. What will happen is if you come in with a brake problem, they will deny the claim saying you have aftermarket parts. But if you come in with a transmission issue, they can't deny the claim simply because you have aftermarket brake systems.

I personally bought the Powetrain ESP because I know I won't be messing with those 3 main things (engine, transmission, rear end). And I know that simply replacing the brakes or suspension won't have any impact on any potential engine or transmission claim.

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Warranty coverage from an oasis report

ā–“ WARRANTY COVERAGE

COVERAGE TYPE:Bumper-to-Bumper
COVERAGE DESCRIPTION:3 years / 36,000 Miles (whichever occurs first)
ADDITIONAL INFO:Some B-to-B parts have limited coverage available:
  1. Brake pads/linings are limited to 12 months / 18,000 mile coverage
  2. Wheel alignment and wheel balance are limited to 12 months / 12,000 mile coverage
  3. Windshields replaced for stress cracks are limited to 12 months / 12,000 mile coverage
  4. Windshield Wiper blades are limited to 6 months coverage
  5. Tires are prorated after 12,000 miles driven
  6. Utilize the LTIS policy for up to 36 months and 36,000 miles, where applicable, review EFC09678 for details.
COVERAGE TYPE:Corrosion Perforation
COVERAGE DESCRIPTION:5 years / Unlimited miles
ADDITIONAL INFO:
No perforation req.on Aluminum Panels
COVERAGE TYPE:powertrain
COVERAGE DESCRIPTION:5 years / 60,000 Miles (whichever occurs first)
ADDITIONAL INFO: *
COVERAGE TYPE:Safety Restraint
COVERAGE DESCRIPTION:5 years / 60,000 Miles (whichever occurs first)
ADDITIONAL INFO: *

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Like any kind of insurance policy there are different levels of coverage. If you look at the Ford ESP PremiumCare it provides coverage for virtually everything. That's why I bought this one for my 19' GTCS.

Ford|Lincoln Protect PremiumCare
New
Used and Certified Pre-Owned Ford Protect ESP PremiumCare Plans extend your vehicleā€™s Standard Warranty by covering 1,000+ components. Lincoln Protect PremiumCare Plans cover New, Used and Certified Pre-Owned Lincolns.

Ford|Lincoln Protect ExtraCare
Ford Protect ESP ExtraCare Plans
cover 113 components for mechanical repairs on New, Used and Certified Pre-Owned vehicles. New and Used Lincolns can be covered by Lincoln Protect ExtraCare.

Ford|Lincoln Protect BaseCare
Both Ford Protect and Lincoln Protect BaseCare Plans cover 84 components. Ford Protect BaseCare is available for New, Used and Pre-Owned Certified vehicles, and Lincoln Protect BaseCare covers service repairs of New and Used Lincolns.

Ford|Lincoln Protect PowertrainCare
Both Ford Protect and Lincoln Protect PowertrainCare cover 29 major engine, transmission and front/rear drive axle components of New and Used vehicles.

brochure_PremiumCARE.pdf

Last edited:

Sponsored

jayhoogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
Nothing will void the ENTIRE warranty, that's where you're getting confused.

Simply upgrading your brake pads won't instantly void your entire warranty. What will happen is if you come in with a brake problem, they will deny the claim saying you have aftermarket parts. But if you come in with a transmission issue, they can't deny the claim simply because you have aftermarket brake systems.

I personally bought the Powetrain ESP because I know I won't be messing with those 3 main things (engine, transmission, rear end). And I know that simply replacing the brakes or suspension won't have any impact on any potential engine or transmission claim.
Even saying that changing brake pads would void a warranty claim on a brake issue is not necessarily true. They may try to say that, but they canā€™t technically do so unless it can be proven that the failure was caused by the aftermarket parts. I canā€™t think of any issues that different brake pads could really cause, so theyā€™d have a hard time denying a claim just because of something simple like that. The same way people think they need to get oil changes done at the dealer to keep their warranty intact. These are routine maintenance issues that usually should not be a cause for denied warranty.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Even saying that changing brake pads would void a warranty claim on a brake issue is not necessarily true. They may try to say that, but they canā€™t technically do so unless it can be proven that the failure was caused by the aftermarket parts.
Right, I was just making an example. I think a more appropriate one would be if you replace your rotors, calipers and pads with aftermarket stuff you obviously can't expect Ford to warranty those.

scd603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The other thing I always state in these type of thread about Ford ESP or any other Extended Warranty:

Always, always, a-l-w-a-y-s read the FINE PRINT of what is NOT covered in the plan BEFORE you even entertain the sales push to sign for it. There are so many things NOT covered, that it's not if you need to use the plan, it's WHEN you use It and then find out on the spot your $1,500 LED headlamp isn't covered... but you thought it was because you bought what was sold as an "all encompassing" plan....

HVAC, LED head/tail lamps and electrical components (APIM, BCM, PCM, TCM, etc) are the biggest ticket items aside from Powertrain that are the most expensive cost of repairs today with modern vehicles.

The Ford new car 3/36 covers EVERYTHING for the first 3yr/36k, whichever comes first.

The 5/60 Powertrain runs concurrently with the 3/36. So whatever happens during the first 3/36 falls back on the new car 3/36.... Then after the 3/36 expires, you would still have 2yr/24k miles where the Powertrain is still covered (engine, trans and rear). Believe it or not, the Ford 5/60 is really comprehensive if one takes the time to read everything that IS covered per the Owner's Manual.

Emissions is 8/80, again whichever comes first but also runs concurrently with the 3/36... Even this coverage is pretty comprehensive.

----

Read ALL the fine print and ask questions... If buying a brand new car and an ESP, that ESP starts as of the vehicle purchase date and will run concurrently with the 3/36 and 5/60's - not many sellers of such warranties will tell consumers that fact.

If the ESP is for a used car, it's been said on here that those start as of the purchase date of the ESP. *** CHECK with your plan provider BEFORE signing about the actual start date of the ESP!

The bigger question should be:
Will you run out at miles or years first with any Warranty? An Extended Warranty won't be beneficial to anyone if the car is mostly garaged and sees limited miles - so even though you may have limited miles 5 years goes by quick too... and still ends the warranty.

When the ESP runs concurrently with the 3/36 or 5/60, then get the one with the longest length of coverage - such as a 7/100 or 8/120, whatever may be the most current plan.

So it looks and works like this:
3/36 used for nearly all warranty claims during first 3 years/36k miles, whichever comes first.

5/60 Powertrain runs concurrently with the 3/36, so after 3/36 is depleted by miles or years first, the remainder of the 5/60 is left which is 2/24 (again whichever comes first).

Buying brand new car and Ford ESP (and some aftermarket ESPā€™s) - it will run concurrently with the 3/36 and 5/60. So only AFTER the 3/36 and/or 5/60 is depleted, will the ESP be used for XYZ repairs. FACT (and itā€™s in the ESP fine print). So take for instance a new car owner bought a 7/75k ESP - from just a Powertrain perspective, what they really bought was a 2/15k if looking at it AFTER the Ford 5/60 expired.

The above is why if buying any ESP (Ford or aftermarket) and planning on keeping a car for at least 5 years, IMO always go with the ESP that has the longest term available, otherwise you're just tossing your cash in the trash.
If you buy an ESP when new, can you buy an extension before it runs out?

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜09 GT500KR & ā€˜16 GT350 Track Pack & ā€˜20 GT500 HP
If you buy an ESP when new, can you buy an extension before it runs out?
Up to what they sell.
If you only bought 60 month but now want to go to 84 months. Yes.
Canā€™t add 60 in addition to 60 as I think 84 is the max.

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I just bought 3/36k
I have 7 months left on my original
Sponsored