FYI: Coyote 5.0 Plasma Transfer Wire Arc cylinder liners

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
The subject engine in that link is the Voodoo in the GT350, not a Coyote ... they are two different animals so to speak.
Hello; Yes, while my understanding is limited I do get there are different families of engines. The GEN III Coyote V-8's in the newest Mustangs and F-150's do share the plasma arc linings (sleeves) with these other engines.
From what I have read the plasma arc sleeve process was used first in the more high performance engines for a number of years, maybe ten years, before being used in the Coyote engines around 2018. So now the Coyote and the Voodoo share the thin cylinder liner is a point to me. I do not yet have a viable personal opinion about the process since I do not have experience working on them.
As a member pointed out in another thread, only Ford has the good numbers with regard to the engine problems or failure percentages and so far they must be keeping those numbers to themselves.

Might be the case the failures discussed in this and other threads represent only a very small percentage of the total number of such engines on the street. That would be good to know if true, then the rest of us could relax a bit.

For some reason there is a lot of discussion about engine failures. The discussions may be unfounded. I just do not know and so far such discussions appear to be the only source we have until Ford has a say. The example for me was back a few months when I was about to plunk down some money for a 2019 F-150. I did not put too much credence in the typical web chatter until I ran across a Ford technical service bulletin about the excessive oil consumption in the F-150 V8's. That TSB made the oil consumption a real issue. Later on I ran across the plasma cylinder lining discussions.

At this point the better source, from my point of view, are those people who have had these engines apart. They have had an actual look-see inside the engines in question. I, for one, will not quickly dismiss the opinions of those who have done the work.

But yes, I get that distinctions exist between the Coyote and Voodoo engines. I was thinking they had some things in common that may affect both in similar ways. I very well may be wrong in such thinking. Apologies if I have made a fundamental error.
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
But yes, I get that distinctions exist between the Coyote and Voodoo engines. I was thinking they had some things in common that may affect both in similar ways. I very well may be wrong in such thinking. Apologies if I have made a fundamental error.
The thread about the Voodoos you linked in post #391 never mentioned that the Voodoo failures are because of the plasma cylinder lining. Same with Coyotes ... I don't actually recall any Voodoo or Coyote engine actually failing because of the plasma cylinder lining. Most engine failures are due to lubrication problems, or parts breaking, like valve springs, piston rings, rods, pump gears etc ... and it's typically on cars that are driven very hard and/or modified to some degree.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
The thread about the Voodoos you linked in post #391 never mentioned that the Voodoo failures are because of the plasma cylinder lining. Same with Coyotes ... I don't actually recall any Voodoo or Coyote engine actually failing because of the plasma cylinder lining. Most engine failures are due to lubrication problems, or parts breaking, like valve springs, piston rings, rods, pump gears etc ... and it's typically on cars that are driven very hard and/or modified to some degree.
Hello; I may have to go back and read again some of the sources to get a better picture in my mind, but have been thinking the more current model years of V8 Ford engines share some common architecture. I get that some have distinctions with things such as the 180 degree crank being among them. I do not know if the block and head castings are radically different so as to be considered completely different engine families.
If my comparing the Voodoo with the Coyote is an apples and oranges sort of mistake, then I will stand corrected.

I also appear to be making a mistake when going outside the topic of the plasma cylinder lining in this thread. I can see how a thread can have a narrow range. I suppose discussion of engine failures not directly related to the plasma lining can be considered a dilution of the topic of this thread. My first concern was merely about excessive oil consumption in the F-150 V8's. Later in my searches the questions about the thin cylinder lining were found. I will continue to follow this thread but will look for a more generic discussion about recent model year Ford engine issues.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I curious if anyone has used or has an opinion about the BG motor oil ?
BG SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Engine Oil

Am familiar with the manual transmission, oil for 10 years.

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
This is the oem data from a DI Coyote about a year ago.
I hope it shows.
Rattle.png
A couple weeks ago, someone made the point that those who got the Roush tune were no longer experiencing the 2K rattle. This post would seem to support that. Anyone have a Roush tune and STILL have the 2K rattle?

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
A couple weeks ago, someone made the point that those who got the Roush tune were no longer experiencing the 2K rattle. This post would seem to support that. Anyone have a Roush tune and STILL have the 2K rattle?

The 2K rattle, are folks saying, they can run the RPM up . Hold steady @ 2K and hear it for it the entire time ?

Is this the qiestion?

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
The 2K rattle, are folks saying, they can run the RPM up . Hold steady @ 2K and hear it for it the entire time ?

Is this the qiestion?
Not exactly... The infamous 2K rattle only occurs under load (it does not occur in park/not in gear) in varying intensity that seems to mirror that chart. However, if you're driving, and hold it at, let's say 2.5K rpm, it will sustain the rattle.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not exactly... The infamous 2K rattle only occurs under load (it does not occur in park/not in gear) in varying intensity that seems to mirror that chart. However, if you're driving, and hold it at, let's say 2.5K rpm, it will sustain the rattle.
Yes I would not dry rev a motor, 2k and hold it. I was speaking of driving and holding. Would have thought that should have been obvious, common sense.

Have the Roush soft tune, but I also have never heard any noise off ideal either. Oh yes the exhaust sounds off.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Both the stock tune and the FP Gen 3 tune have the same exact values for that table.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; I think this was one of the first threads I followed when I joined the site. I had been learning of issues with F-150 V8 engines and was searching for information. Started to find online stuff about engine failures and excessive oil consumption in the Mustangs and oil consumption in the F-150.

Skip ahead to the more recent threads about the secondary cam tensioner. Is it still too early to say the tensioner is now the main suspect in the engine failures or is the jury still out. I am asking because I still want to get a new Mustang and maybe a new F-150 once it becomes known Ford has made a fix.

Had a chance to buy a used Mustang a few weeks ago but did not manage to make a deal, so will start looking at the new ones again. I look for a base GT for the most part and am not sure if the engine failures I see posts about apply to a base V8.

Anyway just checking this thread to se if anyone has new thoughts or information.

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Hello; I think this was one of the first threads I followed when I joined the site. I had been learning of issues with F-150 V8 engines and was searching for information. Started to find online stuff about engine failures and excessive oil consumption in the Mustangs and oil consumption in the F-150.

Skip ahead to the more recent threads about the secondary cam tensioner. Is it still too early to say the tensioner is now the main suspect in the engine failures or is the jury still out. I am asking because I still want to get a new Mustang and maybe a new F-150 once it becomes known Ford has made a fix.

Had a chance to buy a used Mustang a few weeks ago but did not manage to make a deal, so will start looking at the new ones again. I look for a base GT for the most part and am not sure if the engine failures I see posts about apply to a base V8.

Anyway just checking this thread to se if anyone has new thoughts or information.
The secondary cam chain tensioner issue doesn't apply to the mustang and f150. It's for the 5.2l voodoo. It is not the main suspect.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Must ask what gen/year Coyote motor? "Started to find online stuff about engine failures and excessive oil consumption in the Mustangs and oil consumption"

Gererally speaking, tighten up the scope please, the block has been around for some time now.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Must ask what gen/year Coyote motor? "Started to find online stuff about engine failures and excessive oil consumption in the Mustangs and oil consumption"

Gererally speaking, tighten up the scope please, the block has been around for some time now.
Hello; More specifically the gen III engines which will be the base V8 in a new Mustang GT and the F-150.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
MIne went in the fall for the "tick". The dealer service manager listed to it and cringed when he heard it in the write up lane. Tech had the car for several days and obviously reproduced the noise. As anticipated, it was reverted back to it being "normal" by Ford standard.

I'll keep saying it, Ford may call it normal, but when you can temporally quiet the tick with additives, and as is, doesn't do it 100% of the time, that is not CORRECT.

troverman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium manual
We had a 2011 F-150 5.0L engine. It used some oil, pretty acceptable. Probably in the 1qt / 5k miles range. No issues, ever. Engine always sounded good. Traded at 60k for a 2016 F-150 with the small EcoBoost. But missed the sound of the V8, so traded for a 2018 with the 10 speed and 5.0L.

This F-150 now has 35k miles and has had fairly serious oil consumption issues (1.5 qts in 2k miles). Dealer performed the latest TSB for a new dip stick and the software update to crack the throttle butterfly open upon deceleration. Oil consumption has now fallen to about 0.5 qts in 3,000 miles. That's acceptable to me, and proves it makes a difference. The original dipstick may have caused dealers and owners alike to overfill the sump, which also obviously causes the excess oil to burn off.

The 10-speed auto has been just fine. The engine seems to have some loud DI noises at idle, but seems perfectly healthy at other RPMS.

I recently purchased a new, left over 2020 Mustang GT manual. Only about 700 miles so far...car is awesome. Sounds fine but I understand the issue may occur after the first oil change, which I will be doing myself as in all my vehicles. I'm not concerned about the noise. I'm watching oil consumption, it has already used a small amount.

One thing worth keeping in mind is the 12:1 compression ratio...high compression engines also tend to consume more oil than low compression engines (assuming the low compression is the way the factory wanted it!)

Interestingly enough, I work for a company which supplies the plasma equipment parts for the bore lining application. It is a very precise and proven technology, and that's all I will say in regards to that.
Sponsored