Sponsored

FYI: Coyote 5.0 Plasma Transfer Wire Arc cylinder liners

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Most likely inconsistent manufacturing tolerances and QA. If it was a big design snafu, then all engines would have the horrendous noises. - but that's not the case.
I wonder if any of the engineers on here would thank that if the sound was related to a loose piston/rattle, then increasing the oil viscosity may provide some relief? I would think a higher viscosity would offer a thicker film and possibly stabilize the piston more -- but I'm not a lubrication engineer, and I wouldn't know how much more viscosity would be helpful.
Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I wonder if any of the engineers on here would thank that if the sound was related to a loose piston/rattle, then increasing the oil viscosity may provide some relief? I would think a higher viscosity would offer a thicker film and possibly stabilize the piston more -- but I'm not a lubrication engineer, and I wouldn't know how much more viscosity would be helpful.
Well, I did go to PUP 5w30, and it didn't seem to help much. But, as soon as I added 1/2 bottle of Ceratech, the Boron superlube really did quiet down, quite a bit. Oddly, it also almost completely went away when I also add an AC belt tension arm. But tgat obviously doesn't work for everyone.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Higher viscosity should get a thicker film and less “slap”. However, we really need to know the temperature of the oil on the cylinder wall to get a better representation. If we were to assume the oil is 210 f on the cylinder wall, we could make the following comparison:

Pennzoil platinum 5w20 vis is 8.6 cst.

Pennzoil platinum 5w30 vis is 9.8, so we really don’t get much help there.

Pennzoil euro 5w40 (my personal choice) is 13.3. Better, but not dramatically. I still get some audible piston rattle 2-3000 rpm at light throttle.

Motorcraft 5w50 vis is 21.0, which is dramatically higher. I’d like to hear from someone who has tried it. Whipple and roush both recommend it on the 2018+ So it couldn’t be just terrible.

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
...I would think a higher viscosity would offer a thicker film and possibly stabilize the piston more...
That could be the case, but FORD has C.A.F.E./fuel mileage constraints to worry about. That is why they recommend 5w-20 oil, so they can meet the C.A.F.E. requirements. And this is why I run Mobil 1 5w-40 in my 2016 GT.

Not trying to start a "best oil" discussion for chris-sakes! :lipssealed:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
The engine oil is way thicker during a cold start then when at full operating temperature - like hundreds of times thicker on the viscosity scale. Piston slap caused by "loose" pistons is more extreme with a cold engine, and the piston diameter grows with heat at the same time the oil is thinning down from heat. So if the piston to cylinder clearance isn't too extreme then the piston slap will go away after some warm-up. That's the way it normally works when the clearances are right at operating temperature after the pistons heat up and expand. But if the clearance is too much, then thicker oil isn't really going to help when at full operating temperature because the difference in viscosity is not much between different viscosity oils when at full operating temperature.

Sponsored

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
To add to the "piston rattle retard" mapping... The FRPP tunes either don't have this map or it is zeroed out (can't remember off top of my head). Same goes for the Roush and Whipple tunes as well as almost all the aftermarket mail order tunes. Also I am not totally convinced that the table is an absolute degree of retard as shown. Could be some kind of multiplier or limit? If you zero out the table, which would essentially ADD those degrees to the spark timing, it comes up to some really high and unrealistic numbers. I have ran with both the stock numbers and zero'd out. The timing doesn't react as you would think. Likely hitting limiters within the tune like MBT tables. Cyl Pressure tables etc.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I just chatted with another 18 owner here in Sweden. His car has been for analysis multiple times.
He had scoring on all 8 cylinders, got a ping from him today....... one of the cylinders was pretty messed up apparently

He is in for a new motor and manifold....

So in 2018 570(new model not sure how many of those are ECO) mustangs was sold in Sweden. Now at least 2 are confirmed with scoring on cylinders and with engine swaps.... Statistically not very good....

Last edited:

Kirgiz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrzej
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I just chatted with another 18 owner here in Sweden. His car has been for analysis multiple times.
He had scoring on all 8 cylinders, got a ping from him today....... one of the cylinders was pretty messed up apparently

He is in for a new motor and manifold....

So in 2018 570(new model not sure how many of those are ECO) mustangs was sold in Sweden. Now at least 2 are confirmed with scoring on cylinders and with engine swaps.... Statistically not very good....
0,0035 % failure is not good? What is wrong with you?

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
0,0035 % failure is not good? What is wrong with you?
As mentioned not all of the ones sold are GTs. I at least have never heard of that rate of failure on any "regular" car model with where the root cause have been the same (maybe apart from the focus RS)

Nothing is wrong with me just doing fine, hope you are doing fine and having a great day.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
So the car was at the dealer yesterday they swapped the injectors, no difference however when unplugging the imrc controller the "slapping" sound disappeard.

Can someone with technical knowledge elaborate on why this could be as I am not familiar with the imrc(is increasing plenum volume at different rpm? Variable intake manifold?). The shop told me a new manifold has been ordered. Also will changing the manifold help?

Last edited:

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
So the car was at the dealer yesterday they swapped the injectors, no difference however when unplugging the imrc controller the "slapping" sound disappeard.

Can someone with technical knowledge elaborate on why this could be as I am not familiar with the imrc(is increasing plenum volume at different rpm? Variable intake manifold?). The shop told me a new manifold has been ordered. Also will changing the manifold help?
Well that’s interesting. The imrc function much like butterfly valves in the runner near the head. I could see where “flapping” could make some noise.

So far it’s been imrc, hpfp, injectors, ignition timing, cam phasers, rod bearings, piston scorings, piston clearance, belt tensioner, etc. Are these just complicated engines with lots of moving parts that make lots of different noises?

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
All of the flap/slap did get eliminated when the plug was disconnected.

I did not film it but I will see if I can record it ( a but tricky by myself)

Well that’s interesting. The imrc function much like butterfly valves in the runner near the head. I could see where “flapping” could make some noise.

So far it’s been imrc, hpfp, injectors, ignition timing, cam phasers, rod bearings, piston scorings, piston clearance, belt tensioner, etc. Are these just complicated engines with lots of moving parts that make lots of different noises?

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Makes sense to me that the IMRCs would be causing a noise... I've seen people with strange noises see them go away after replacing the intake manifold
Sponsored