Sponsored

FYI 2018 F150 5.0 - TSB 19-2058 excessive oil consumption

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Maybe it is because a truck engine works harder more often? If you are hauling heavy waits and towing, that will put more pressure than a car you WOT once in a while. Obviously if you track or drag your car often, it could put similar pressure on the engine. If this is true, they have most likely seen many more trucks with oil consumption issues than Mustangs coming in. If enough Mustangs have this issue I would hope they would announce a similar TSB for them.
Oil consumption is a strong function of engine RPM, and oil lost past the rings and also out through the PCV system. Truck engines, even when working hard, wont typically be at a real high RPM like someone driving a Mustang hard, so I'd expect less oil usage overall.

Some engines use more oil under light loads at high RPM because the rings are low tension and will "flutter" which makes for less sealing effectiveness. Higher loads means higher cylinder pressure, and sometimes that actually helps rings seal a bit better. All of this of course is dependent on piston and ring design.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
How much oil needs to be sent out the tail pipe before emissions are sub par?

18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Steps 11 & 12 in the TSB are pretty surprising. Ford says to replace the long block if the oil consumption is more than 1 qt every 3000 miles. I was expecting to read more than 1 qt every 1000 miles like most car manufacturers state.

The wording in Step 11 could be better IMO, but it meas if it burns more than 1 qt in 3000 miles to replace the long block.
Is that pertaining to the truck or...? Also, can you provide me a copy of that?
I know for a fact that my car was eating well over that amount before they replaced the short block.

18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Likely due to the Mustang being a 'Performance' car, which typically has expected trade-offs. Many other manufacturers do the same, more forgiving of oil use and engine noise...
So for instance, my car had never seen a track. But I drove it daily to and from work. I got on it maybe a handful of times. I let it warm up every time before I drove it. I actually treated it better than other cars I’ve had. Never once having a problem that required a s/b replaced. Nor did they eat no where near the amount of oil. About 2qts every 3,000. That isn’t a trade off no matter what “street legal” car or truck anyone drives.
But that’s my opinion. I’m just a dumb monkey with a wrench.

Sponsored

18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
How much oil needs to be sent out the tail pipe before emissions are sub par?
That would be interesting to see Ford’s reactions to a line of gen 3 coyotes failing emissions... lol

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is that pertaining to the truck or...? Also, can you provide me a copy of that?
I know for a fact that my car was eating well over that amount before they replaced the short block.
Apparenty the TSB is only for the Coyote in the F-150, and for some reason not including the Mustang. The TSB is attached in Post #1 above.

18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Apparenty the TSB is only for the Coyote in the F-150, and for some reason not including the Mustang. The TSB is attached in Post #1 above.
My bad. Apparently I need to be a little more attentive to what I’m reading. Thanx

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
My bad. Apparently I need to be a little more attentive to what I’m reading. Thanx
Threads can get so long on here sometimes....
Guilty as charged

Mrmarkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
When looking at the oil capacity of the F-150 5.0L, it’s only 8.8 qt. Curious why the mustang 5.0L needs 10 qt? Different size oil pan?

Sponsored

1bad66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT PP1, '66 Mustang, '18 BMW X3, '97 Tacoma
Higher RPM range and potential for higher G loads would be my guess on the capacity addition.

Fastfwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT 2012 Honda Accord V6 Coupe EX-L Nav
Assuming it was full the day I picked it up, 2.5 qts in 4K.
I wouldn't assume that. Mine had less than 70 miles from the dealer new and it was halfway between the holes when I checked it before the road trip home. Leaving me thinking maybe they put 10 quarts in from the factory, but idk. When I changed mine at 3k miles and put in a full 10 quarts it still landed in the same place between the holes.

I can't believe excessive oil consumption is yet another thing to be on the lookout for, but wow am I ever glad that I quit sticking my head in the sand avoiding this forum not wanting to read negative things about the car. This is definitely a big deal to be on the lookout for. I had adopted the philosophy of just drive it until it breaks and hope it's under warranty if it does, but that is obviously a huge mistake to think that way imo.

Side note to this - during a recent trip totaling about 2k miles mine did appear to go from between the holes when I started (no consumption noted after 1,500 miles on the oil change) to the bottom hole during the trip. So, maybe it consumed almost a half quart from the oil change to somewhere over 2k on that oil change, but I was driving it for sport through the hills and didn't think much of it. After I did add a full quart and got the level up to around the 'maximum' hole the engine sounded much more content to me. I've noticed there is a '2K Rattle' thing happening now too and I definitely have experienced it and I think it became more prominent as it consumed oil down to the 'minimum' mark. Just sayin. For me, I perceived the oil level to have an impact on that particular issue, but I can't say it 'fixed' the issue entirely to run the oil level at maximum.

I'm also personally questioning if these cars that haven't traditionally been canyon carving track ready machines running wet sump oil systems are experiencing some kind of combination of factors producing a lack of proper lubrication that could be a factor in the cylinder scoring. This might include engines consuming much more oil than expected and running low unexpectedly. I have no idea. I am not a mechanic. I had to watch a Youtube video recently just to see how a wet sump vs dry sump oil system even works in relation to the cylinders themselves. I guess it could be possible after watching the video I saw.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know the 2015-2017 Gen2 Coyote has piston oil jets. Not sure about the 2018+ Gen3 Coyote, but I would think they also have piston oil jets. I'd think an engine with oil jets would provide more than adequate piston, ring and cylinder lubrication, so I doubt any cylinder scoring is from lack of oil.

1bad66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT PP1, '66 Mustang, '18 BMW X3, '97 Tacoma
I was under the impression the piston oil jets left before the 2nd gens came along..I know my 1st gen '11 had them but there was talk and even a bulletin or two addressing them back them.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was under the impression the piston oil jets left before the 2nd gens came along..I know my 1st gen '11 had them but there was talk and even a bulletin or two addressing them back them.
Snap shot out of the 2015 Mustang service manual.
S550 Mustang Piston Cooling Jets.JPG

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know the 2015-2017 Gen2 Coyote has piston oil jets. Not sure about the 2018+ Gen3 Coyote, but I would think they also have piston oil jets. I'd think an engine with oil jets would provide more than adequate piston, ring and cylinder lubrication, so I doubt any cylinder scoring is from lack of oil.
I always thought the oiling was for temp reasons, not lubrication.
& I believe they are omitted in the gen 3
Sponsored