Sponsored

Future of Mustang V8 . . . Hydrogen powered.

Mr. Maboomba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2019 X5 50i, 2019 Ram 2500
Look dude, LA looks like that even today. It's a weather phenomenon, not from pollution.
It's certainly a pollution issue. Smog concentrates in the LA basin due to the geography and weather, but smog is caused by pollution. It's not the same as fog.

The data shows that big cities like LA are cleaner today than they were in the past, and it's clear that's due to environmental regulations including cleaner cars.

1648059876389.png

1648059910525.png

1648059936179.png

Look, I don't like regulation, I find it deeply frustrating many times, but I'm not going to say it's all bad. That's just silly.
Sponsored

Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipped 19 GT Premium
Some are planning for it to take off. Nikola is building a hydrogen not far from my house with the main use will be for transportation.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
I often wonder if people who tout consumer-level hydrogen usage have ever dealt with handling it?. It's a non-trivial problem to use a gas that leaks quite easily, readily burns with a nearly invisible flame, and likes to form explosive mixtures in the high points of contained areas.

Mr. Maboomba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2019 X5 50i, 2019 Ram 2500
I often wonder if people who tout consumer-level hydrogen usage have ever dealt with handling it?. It's a non-trivial problem to use a gas that leaks quite easily, readily burns with a nearly invisible flame, and likes to form explosive mixtures in the high points of contained areas.
* and is invisible and odorless

People may say that natural gas has a lot of the same attributes but it's about four times more dangerous than natural gas for in-home use, according to https://www.rechargenews.com/energy...han-natural-gas-government-report/2-1-1047218.

Sponsored

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
That is what worries me as well but let's see it possitively: The v8 hyrdogen powered Mustang can set the benchmark for all others if the hydrogen powered version succeeds to survive all the torture tests which happen with the current gen 6 worldwide.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
* and is invisible and odorless

People may say that natural gas has a lot of the same attributes but it's about four times more dangerous than natural gas for in-home use, according to https://www.rechargenews.com/energy...han-natural-gas-government-report/2-1-1047218.
We run natural gas piping in nearly every plant we design. Sure, need to file the drawings with the plumbing inspector, but it's no big deal to get approval.

Last hydrogen installation I did was a tremndous pain. Piping design, submittal to the town, review by the board of selectmen, two open public hearings with Q&A from residents, insurance company review, the whole nine yards. Stunning PITA.

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
There are only two practical ways to get hydrogen. 1) Hydrolysis of water. That's very energy intensive and requires a lot of electricity. If you have that much electricity you might as well just charge a battery and skip turning water into H2 and O and then burn the H2 back into water.

2) You strip the H2 off petroleum by steam cracking. You're still tied to petroleum and all the economic and geopolitical problems that go along with it. And the cracking by-product is CO2. You have to economically sequester that somehow.

Then there's the development of an infrastructure to deliver high-pressure hydrogen to the consumer. Storing and transporting high pressure hydrogen is not a trivial problem. Leaks, hydrogen embrittlement, pumping systems. What a mess.

Hydrogen fuel has it's applications, but powering millions of vehicles is not likely to be one of them.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
And the cracking by-product is CO2. You have to economically sequester that somehow.
ginsu knives spinning really fast. It cuts the C off the molecule which then floats to the ground as pure carbon powder and you bottle the O2 for all the industrial uses and grandma's breathing bottles. The janitor sweeps the C into his dust-pan and takes it over to the Graphene chute and out pops yellow #2 pencils that don't need an eraser - you just shake the paper real hard and you erase what you wrote.

I'm no engineer but I did stay at a Motel 6 last night.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
actually h2o2 is easy to come by. Forget gaseous (or liquified/high pressure) H2, use a catalyst just like they do for rocket fuel and you have a MUCH simpler problem, no?

Ah well, https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/10/191010142156.htm
(yes, my chemistry degree was hand-written on a Ho-Jo's napkin)

victory-rc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' , premium ,10 speed, Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
💯👉Buy a Mustang V8 while you can,it doesn't look good.
If hydrogen or anything else was so good we would have been using it by now...

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Pfft I am just going to get the Hydrogen/91 flex tune for my car and rock on:)

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
while you can store natural gas in a latex baloon, high pressure hydrogen will leak out of a completely welded and sealed steel container.
Sponsored