Sponsored

Fun thread - How manual manual drivers reach for stick or clutch in an auto?

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
OK, since we will not be able to have fun leveraging our experiences as manual drivers I wondered how many guys who drive manual have gotten into an automatic and reach for the selector or stomped on the floor only to find no clutch?

What was the situation?

Did you damage the auto? This is really only if you moved the selector.

Besides this, any other actions you would normally do in a manual that you caught yourself doing in an automatic?
Sponsored

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
OK, since we will not be able to have fun leveraging our experiences as manual drivers I wondered how many guys who drive manual have gotten into an automatic and reach for the selector or stomped on the floor only to find no clutch?

What was the situation?

Besides this, any other actions you would normally do in a manual that you caught yourself doing in an automatic?
No problems in my Super Duty truck...Cabin is completely different from the Mustang, and has a column mounted selector.
In my wife's Chrysler 300 I find myself reaching for the shifter, but the Chrysler selector is really short so I never grab it. After 2 or 3 times of going through this, my brain finally remembers Chrysler/ automatic.
Funny to see this thread... I thought I was the only one who made crazy moves when driving the automatic....

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Actually I have a bigger issue with reaching for the start button in my 2007 focus which uses keys and looking for the rear view back up camera it dose not have.. The new car has spoiled me and ruined the old so Im the other way around. But yes for a few weeks i did reach for the stick and clutch on the new auto

Last edited:

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
I've gone for the missing clutch a couple times. But like others I have other issues with swapping cars. Mainly the cruise control buttons. Opposite sides of the steering wheel on our Jeep. I drove the Jeep for a week on vacation and feel like I can't work the buttons in the Mustang now. Getting old.

Sponsored

rancid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
I've had more manual cars than autos and I constantly rest my hand on my gear selector in automatic cars.

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Ruby Red
I have been driving both for over 50 years, and I can't ever remember doing that. I drive both frequently. Now, if I only drove manual and rarely drove auto, it might be a different story. Also, big difference between a Mustang and a SUV, so it's not hard to remember which one you are driving.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
I tried to push the phantom clutch pedal on startup for the first week after trading in my manual GT for the auto.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
My wifes suv has the push button gear selector so no chance of grabbing it. I have to keep a water bottle in the cup holder so my hand has some place to rest. And yes when I'm driving the family around on long trips and missing the mustang, I move the water bottle like its my shifter.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Only time that comes to mind was 40 odd years ago after unloading the 69 Camaro 4 speed and getting a 69 Firebird automatic. All the other cars were so different that the phantom clutch never came back. Just no way to mistake them like the F body twins.

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
I haven’t done that but i have tried to put my key in the steering wheel coming from a 2012 gt to a 2016 Gt/cs... lol

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150

What was the situation?

I do not - however - the very first time in my life I drove an automatic car, at the age of 26 (before that I was manual only) - which was Mercury Sable (rebadged Taurus) and had unfortunately quite wide brake pedal, almost threw my passenger through the windshield... Had he not fastened his seat belts, who knows...

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
My daily driver is an F150 FX4

on occasion I will;

when coming to a quick stop put my left foot down fast like I need to clutch in when hitting the brake

sitting at a stop light reach down for the clutch

hop in and go to hit a push start button - but the truck isn’t push start

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
My daily driver is an F150 FX4

on occasion I will;

when coming to a quick stop put my left foot down fast like I need to clutch in when hitting the brake

sitting at a stop light reach down for the clutch

hop in and go to hit a push start button - but the truck isn’t push start
Yes...I've done the push start thing in my Super Duty (it has a key).
Stereo comes on instead of starting the truck....
Forgot about that!

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I sometimes forget I need to downshift going around a corner when I drive my BMW (manual). I recall one time many years ago (45 - 50?) when my car had "3 on the tree". I was driving a car with automatic and I forgot and shifted into reverse going about 30.
Sponsored