Sponsored

Fun thread - How manual manual drivers reach for stick or clutch in an auto?

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
On my Grand Cherokee, haven’t gone for the phantom clutch. I do however shift it manually through the gears when I’m extremely bored or lock it out of OD when putting around town so the converter locks and feels more like a manual trans.

On my girls Civic (CVT) I occasionally go for the non existent clutch.
Sponsored

Sins550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0 PP
I had a brain fart a couple of times when in the automatic car and coming up to a light getting ready to stop. I had a slight panic trying to think of all I needed to do before I came to a stop, kept feeling like I was missing a step and the car was going to turn off on me.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I feel like a spastic in an automatic. My left leg is flailing around like I'm trying to stomp out a brushfire.

SteelCity_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 1989 Toyota Cressida
Both of my cars are stick but the Sorento has a key. The only thing that catches me up is when I reach down for a phantom key on the steering column to shut the mustang off lol

Also, I get a mini panic attack when I’m driving the Sorento and don’t feel my keys in my pocket, then I think “They’re in the ignition, dumbass” lmao

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I used to have all the mentioned bad habits. Those went away over time (enough seat time behind auto and manual I guess) but now I'm just bored in an auto. I had to drive an auto for two years before my new Mustang and I'd often catch myself making engine sounds and pretending I was shifting.

boos550t

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GT PP Old : 2017 Base GT PP 2015 EB Premium PP @ismgt
I have definitely done the phantom clutch thing.

The weirdest thing is letting go of the brake and the car starts moving by itself.

I drive my stick car every day though.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
My daily driver is an F150 FX4

on occasion I will;

when coming to a quick stop put my left foot down fast like I need to clutch in when hitting the brake

sitting at a stop light reach down for the clutch

hop in and go to hit a push start button - but the truck isn’t push start
After over two years driving the A10R80 I still do all those things. My hand always goes to the shifter knob when coming to a stop or sudden slowdown.

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
I used to have all the mentioned bad habits. Those went away over time (enough seat time behind auto and manual I guess) but now I'm just bored in an auto. I had to drive an auto for two years before my new Mustang and I'd often catch myself making engine sounds and pretending I was shifting.
Thought I was the only one that did the engine noises and pretend shifting until I got my 6 speed.
I'll show your post to my wife so hopefully she will cancel my evaluation appointment at the institution....

OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Thought I was the only one that did the engine noises and pretend shifting until I got my 6 speed.
I'll show your post to my wife so hopefully she will cancel my evaluation appointment at the institution....
My wife knows something is wrong about me. She has me keep every appointment and it is not just for the transmission actions and noises I make ... at the dinner table.

Sponsored

Jmesl8er

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, 1992 Twin Turbo 300ZX
I've hit the brakes before reaching for a clutch. Nothing like an instant stop when you're not expecting it

ALLSTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Accord LX 5MT, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2
whenever im starting an automatic car i always put my clutch foot in.

same when coming to a stop light or breaking.

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
Thought I was the only one that did that until I got my 6 speed.
My wife knows something is wrong about me. She has me keep every appointment and it is not just for the transmission actions and noises I make ... at the dinner table.
:cwl:
If there's this many of us making car noises at the institution, hopefully they will give us our own area.....call it "The Track" or something....

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
At times I've DDd a stick and the wife an auto. Other times she had the stick as a DD and I've had an auto. So over time I've managed to do both, reach for the stick/clutch in an auto and forgotten I need to clutch/shift in a manual. The latter is more embarrassing...

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
My wife's Lincoln has a button, my truck has a lever, my 08 GT is a stick and my 19 GT is auto. I do the occasional hand wave.
Sponsored