Full time 4WD on Limited trim only?

bryan8252

Threads
Reaction score
Watching some TFL videos on the new 4Runner and they show that the Limited has full time 4wd available, but that isn't available on other models. Why would that be the case? Wouldn't it make more sense to put that on the TRD Pro and TRD packages?

TSlop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
~2026 4Runner
That's how it currently is, with the Limited only getting full-time 4WD. I prefer it that way, since it's nice being able to tell the vehicle when to use it (off-roading). You get more control over it when you can tell it what to do. Full-time feels more like a luxury feature, or for AWD cars/SUVS.

What I would really like is a lever again, like the Jeep 4WD. Makes you feel like you are really going into 4WD, instead of just turning a knob.

OP
OP
bryan8252

bryan8252

Threads
Reaction score
Interesting take. I currently have a '23 Lexus GX which has the full-time 4WD and I really like it. I have never really been a 4Runner fan, but the new TRD Pro in the mud color has me rethinking my views.

Bronconomore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Wouldn’t the Platinum have the full-time 4WD as well. It was stated as having what the Limited has, plus HUD, rear heated second row seats, black accents and wheels, rain sensing wipers . As usual I stand to be corrected.

jnsplace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Had to look it up. According to press release:
Limited has available.
Platinum has it as standard

Markarian421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJC TTUE MT
As far as I can tell this is the case. The off-road trims don’t get a locking center diff either if I’m reading the press release right. That’s too bad — having driven a Jeep, Subaru, and two FJs with constant power to all four wheels, I won’t buy a vehicle without that. Especially for the TRD Pro that’s supposed to be focused on fast off road driving it makes no sense, full time 4WD is so helpful for that. And I’d rather get a Land Cruiser than one on the “premium” 4Runner trims.

TheBat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 4Runner Trail, 2022 GR86
As I understand it the off road part time 4wd models lock the front and rear driveshafts whenever you are in 4HI or 4LO, so no need for a locker. It is why they bind when turning because they don't have an unlocked differential mode of operation.

At least that is how it is in my 2010 4Runner Trail Edition (the OG name that became TRD OR).

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester and Ascent
As far as I can tell this is the case. The off-road trims don’t get a locking center diff either if I’m reading the press release right. That’s too bad — having driven a Jeep, Subaru, and two FJs with constant power to all four wheels, I won’t buy a vehicle without that. Especially for the TRD Pro that’s supposed to be focused on fast off road driving it makes no sense, full time 4WD is so helpful for that. And I’d rather get a Land Cruiser than one on the “premium” 4Runner trims.
@TheBat is right. Traditional 4x4 don't have center differentials. That is why they are part time only. If they had one they could be engaged all the time. However, that also comes with limitations as it would mean all power would be sent to a single wheel if it had no traction.

Baiscally, the full time 4wd will be better in everyday driving and bad weather conditions but worse as an off-roader. However, I'm guessing it will at least get a limited slip rear diff. Plus wheel braking power transfer like most vehicles have now a days.

Markarian421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJC TTUE MT
Baiscally, the full time 4wd will be better in everyday driving and bad weather conditions but worse as an off-roader. However, I'm guessing it will at least get a limited slip rear diff. Plus wheel braking power transfer like most vehicles have now a days.
I’m not sure what about Toyota’s full time 4WD system would make it worse off-road?

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m not sure what about Toyota’s full time 4WD system would make it worse off-road?
Sorry. What I was thinking about in my head was not having a rear locker where as the TRD trims (or at least the Off-Road trim) will. It probably still has a limited slip diff though. So yes, not that much of a difference. The locking center diff basically makes it the same as any 4wd that doesn't have a rear locker.

Markarian421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJC TTUE MT
Sorry. What I was thinking about in my head was not having a rear locker where as the TRD trims (or at least the Off-Road trim) will. It probably still has a limited slip diff though. So yes, not that much of a difference. The locking center diff basically makes it the same as any 4wd that doesn't have a rear locker.
This is one thing I haven't sorted out from what's been posted. The full time 4WD LC has both center and read locking diffs. I assumed the full time 4WD 4Runners would too, and I still suspect that's the case, but when I read the press materials released so far it only says they will have a center diff lock, it doesn't mention the rear diff lock.

TheBat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is one thing I haven't sorted out from what's been posted. The full time 4WD LC has both center and read locking diffs. I assumed the full time 4WD 4Runners would too, and I still suspect that's the case, but when I read the press materials released so far it only says they will have a center diff lock, it doesn't mention the rear diff lock.
The 5th Gen only had a rear locker in the Trail Edition/TRD OR and TRD Pro. The rest of the models including the full time 4wd Limited got an open rear diff with brake based traction control.

Also the locker only worked in 4LO.

This was more than fine for the freeway and Mall parking lot where Limited models live and gave the occasional off roader the needed extra capability in the true off road models listed above.

The brake based system sounds like a big downgrade but in my experience it works quite well on the road, nearly as good as a proper mechanical limited slip diff.

jnsplace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R
I take premium has the all in comfort vehicle with ability to handle inclement weather. It’s not an off road focus, as I didn’t see it on the beach during the press reveal.

Which is still fine to me, since inclement weather handling is a priority to me.

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately, I don't think that is the case. Here is a zoom in of the center console on the 4Runner limited. It is a crop from the press material. As you can see, there is no rear diff lock control. You can see the settings on the 4wd shifter (L4L, H4L, and H4F) showing that it is a full time 4wd model.

2025 Toyota 4runner Full time 4WD on Limited trim only? 2025_Toyota_4Runner_Limited_BrownLeather_01_cro

Though I really hope it is at least a limited slip rear diff, I've seen nothing in the press material or the Tundra site that suggest that will be the case for the FT 4WD. The one hope is that the 2WD Tacoma uses a limited slip rear diff. I'm hoping that is the rear diff used on any 4WD that does not have a locking diff. Otherwise it would require 3 different rear differentials.

TheBat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've heard a few references to Automatic limited slip, which is really just traction control. Not a bad system but not a limited slip differential.

Last edited: