Sponsored

Fuel smell after installing UPR catch can. How to remove the smell?

KKell83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hi all,

I installed the UPR catch can (below) with two ports and a filter up top and I'm getting a fuel smell time to time just cruising.

So, question, I did replace the PCV valve on the passenger side and left the other side open as it was but I'm not 100% if I should add a brown PCV to that side as well making both covers have PVC's (wouldn't that add too much crankcase pressure?) or add a 5/8's check valve to the drive side - with the orientation that air may be drawn in under vacuum, or keep it setup the way it is but remove the filter and buy another push adapter and plumb a hose into a future air intake?

20220717_172049.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I have not seen a catch can/breather like the one you have. Is it capturing from both the driver side and passenger side PCV valves --- is this what you mean by two port? it not venting into the intake manifold --- it is only venting out through the breather?

I have heard of oil smells coming from breathers, but I never heard of them emitting a gasoline smell.

OP
OP
KKell83

KKell83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have not seen a catch can/breather like the one you have. Is capturing from both the driver side and passenger side PCV valves? it not venting into the intake manifold --- it is only venting out through the breather?

I have heard of oil smells coming from breathers, but I never heard of them emitting a gasoline smell.
I bought this unit under the assumption that this style is used for forced induction... And yes, it takes both PVC's and routes it into a single catch can.

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I bought this unit under the assumption that this style is used for forced induction... And yes, it takes both PVC's and routes it into a single catch can.
Your catch can/breather looks similar to the UPR 11-21 Mustang GT 5.0 or V6 Billet Dual Inlet Breather Tank Plug N Play, but cannot be that as is meant for the V6. I use the UPR 15-20 Mustang GT Single Valve TVS VMP Oil Catch Can Plug N Play on my Roush-blown 2016 Mustang GT.

I am curious as to what type of booster and catch can are you using?

OP
OP
KKell83

KKell83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Your catch can/breather looks similar to the UPR 11-21 Mustang GT 5.0 or V6 Billet Dual Inlet Breather Tank Plug N Play, but cannot be that as is meant for the V6. I use the UPR 15-20 Mustang GT Single Valve TVS VMP Oil Catch Can Plug N Play on my Roush-blown 2016 Mustang GT.

I am curious as to what type of booster and catch can are you using?
I haven't seen your setup before, looks good. The catch can you linked above is the unit I'm using.

What do you mean by booster? I have a Procharger.

Sponsored

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Hi all,

I installed the UPR catch can (below) with two ports and a filter up top and I'm getting a fuel smell time to time just cruising.

So, question, I did replace the PCV valve on the passenger side and left the other side open as it was but I'm not 100% if I should add a brown PCV to that side as well making both covers have PVC's (wouldn't that add too much crankcase pressure?) or add a 5/8's check valve to the drive side - with the orientation that air may be drawn in under vacuum, or keep it setup the way it is but remove the filter and buy another push adapter and plumb a hose into a future air intake?

20220717_172049.jpg
I haven't seen your setup before, looks good. The catch can you linked above is the unit I'm using.

Booster = forced induction = supercharger or turbocharger

Have you seen this product from UPR? 11-20 Mustang with Paxton, Vortech, or Procharger Supercharged Dual Valve Oil Catch Can CSS Plug N Play™

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Hi all,

20220717_172049.jpg

If you are using the catch can for the V6 it is very likely not workable with your set-up, and can be the cause of the fumes you are smelling. Hopefully you can return it and pick up the one for the Procharger for which I sent a link

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
Why is your procharger located in a difference place than mine ? Mine is in the corner closest to the drivers side headlight.

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
I have two catch cans one driver side one passenger side. Couldn’t even figure out how to install them since they have a stock mustang in their instructions.

Sponsored
OP
OP
KKell83

KKell83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
OP
OP
KKell83

KKell83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
If you are using the catch can for the V6 it is very likely not workable with your set-up, and can be the cause of the fumes you are smelling. Hopefully you can return it and pick up the one for the Procharger for which I sent a link
It's meant for Mustang GT 5.0's and V6 Mustang's.

OP
OP
KKell83

KKell83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Why is your procharger located in a difference place than mine ? Mine is in the corner closest to the drivers side headlight.
This is the California smog unit - It's meant to be used in conjunction with the stock airbox.

OP
OP
KKell83

KKell83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Same concept as I was going with. But instead of teeing off into one line this unit uses two.
5029-216B__95751.jpg
Sponsored