Sponsored

Fuel pump noob question single pump Walbro/TI no venturi outlet

cbrtrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
The 267 is the low pressure version of their 500 lph series of pumps. The 274 is the high pressure (valve) version of the 267. The 285 is the high amp version of the 274 and the 295 is the no check valve version of the 285. They're all the same case size.

I can't remember whether the 285 or the 295 is used in the hellcat, but that's why it's referred to as the hellcat pump.
Yes the 285 is the hellcat version and the 295 is the version with no check valve. Walbro has told me it was the same pump other then the valve but maybe they have changed them slightly at some point.
Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Yes the 285 is the hellcat version and the 295 is the version with no check valve. Walbro has told me it was the same pump other then the valve but maybe they have changed them slightly at some point.
The only difference between the 285 and the 295 is the internal check valve. It's a bit of a gimmick, because unless you're running an outright race only trailer queen, you have to run a check valve somewhere, and that restricts flow. So whether it's in the pump or externally, you're choking some of what the pump can produce.

TEXAS HEAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 A10
ESS Centri, have crank sprocket and OPG installed, JMS Bap. Was hoping to get close to 800whp on pump.
Looks like it maybe on the edge of the dw400 at WOT where the 535 may cope.
You're going to be extremely knock limited on 93 and 800whp is going to be very hard to reach on pump gas. 100 octane will get you North of 700whp, but I think you will need something like MS109 to touch 800whp and at least 11-12psi from the ESS unless your running the G3 unit.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
This DW employee is pretty honest. I like the fact the DW pump draws way less amps. Draw your own conclusion if it's worth the hassle of intalling a walbro pump

devnull

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Deep Impact Blue GT PP
98 Octane, in New Zealand
That's is right between 92-93 octane
You're going to be extremely knock limited on 93 and 800whp is going to be very hard to reach on pump gas. 100 octane will get you North of 700whp, but I think you will need something like MS109 to touch 800whp and at least 11-12psi from the ESS unless your running the G3 unit.
Its actually closer to the 92 side once you do the conversion as well, im not even sure MS109 would get there as your there but defiantly closer. C85 would be a good target, but doubt the fueling currently could handle it, c16 would be nice but good by cats and o2's

Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I run 10an lines with a 10an check valve. So I’m sure the valve is large enough not to cause a restriction like a stock check valve would.
If you need more fuel flow install another module and 535 pump and you will have more than you need for awhile

OP
OP
josephstef

josephstef

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Tough one, I've committed now, the DW doesn't have a check valve either, so given that the 535 is still drawing less power (almost 2 amps less at max pressure) ... Flows more and is half the price.. seems like a no brainer.

OP
OP
josephstef

josephstef

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Running G3 unit, KPM1500 Injectors, LTH no cats

TEXAS HEAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 A10
Running G3 unit, KPM1500 Injectors, LTH no cats
You should be right at 700whp with the G3 and the 125mm pulley, to get to 800whp you're going to need octane. You should be able to run a little more aggressive timing profile because you're a Gen2, but at the end of the day you're going to need more octane.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Tough one, I've committed now, the DW doesn't have a check valve either, so given that the 535 is still drawing less power (almost 2 amps less at max pressure) ... Flows more and is half the price.. seems like a no brainer.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but some of your information is misinformed.

1) The DW400 is offered in multiple models, one with a check valve.
2) The DW400 flows roughly 375 lph at 70 psi and 13.5V. (roughly 18 amps)
3) The 295 flows roughly 425 lph at 70 psi and 13.5V, (just over 16 amps) however, this is a bit of an incomplete story. That pressure and flow is measured without a check valve. If you were to measure the flow and pressure on the backside of whatever check valve you are to run, it's numbers would be ostensibly very close to that of the 285, which flows about 390 lph at 70 psi and 13.5V (but nearly 20 amps).

As you would expect, the 285 which has the same internals, has to work harder to achieve 70 psi across a check valve and that's true of the 295, they're just reporting values BEFORE the check valve.

DW, generally makes better stuff, as their pumps are updated to be E85 resistant and rated to 18V continuous (probably even 22V intermittent if it's consistent with their other products).

Lots of people run TI (Walbro is no longer as I understand it) and it's fine, but comparing the two pumps, the only real advantage of the TI is price. It's hard to tell without solid data which is more reliable and you hear a lot more stories about TI pumps burning out, but that's partially explained by the fact that they're a lot more popular.

In the end, the DW is nearly 2x the price so you could burn out TI pumps and replace them at least once before arriving at the same price as the DW (although the headache and risk of a pump failure and replacement).

My point is, when trying to level them apples/apples (design pressure rather than advertised lower pressure) and considering the check valving, the pumps aren't that far apart. DW probably has better Ethanol resistance and probably has been tested to harsher durability requirements (speaking with DW, their micro lift pumps were ran for an hour dry with no issues). If you compare the DW to the 285 (more apples/apples) the DW runs a little cooler, offers slightly less flow and is markedly more expensive (but likely a little more durable).

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Also DW rates their advertised flow rates @ 40psi (S.A.E. standard). Walbro rates theirs at 0psi.

OP
OP
josephstef

josephstef

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Please don't take this the wrong way, but some of your information is misinformed.

1) The DW400 is offered in multiple models, one with a check valve.
2) The DW400 flows roughly 375 lph at 70 psi and 13.5V. (roughly 18 amps)
3) The 295 flows roughly 425 lph at 70 psi and 13.5V, (just over 16 amps) however, this is a bit of an incomplete story. That pressure and flow is measured without a check valve. If you were to measure the flow and pressure on the backside of whatever check valve you are to run, it's numbers would be ostensibly very close to that of the 285, which flows about 390 lph at 70 psi and 13.5V (but nearly 20 amps).

As you would expect, the 285 which has the same internals, has to work harder to achieve 70 psi across a check valve and that's true of the 295, they're just reporting values BEFORE the check valve.

DW, generally makes better stuff, as their pumps are updated to be E85 resistant and rated to 18V continuous (probably even 22V intermittent if it's consistent with their other products).

Lots of people run TI (Walbro is no longer as I understand it) and it's fine, but comparing the two pumps, the only real advantage of the TI is price. It's hard to tell without solid data which is more reliable and you hear a lot more stories about TI pumps burning out, but that's partially explained by the fact that they're a lot more popular.

In the end, the DW is nearly 2x the price so you could burn out TI pumps and replace them at least once before arriving at the same price as the DW (although the headache and risk of a pump failure and replacement).

My point is, when trying to level them apples/apples (design pressure rather than advertised lower pressure) and considering the check valving, the pumps aren't that far apart. DW probably has better Ethanol resistance and probably has been tested to harsher durability requirements (speaking with DW, their micro lift pumps were ran for an hour dry with no issues). If you compare the DW to the 285 (more apples/apples) the DW runs a little cooler, offers slightly less flow and is markedly more expensive (but likely a little more durable).
Thanks for taking the time to write that up, i think i'm slightly biased to Walbro/TI as ive run them in my previous builds without issues. On the flip side ive seen threads here with issues with DW400 pumps here (likely as those are the common pumps being used on mustangs so not a fair comparison)
Im going to see how it runs without a check valve, if its not so bad starting from the priming ill leave it otherwise will place a hi-flow check valve.
It seems neck and neck between the two pumps as it is so nothing lost/gained.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Also DW rates their advertised flow rates @ 40psi (S.A.E. standard). Walbro rates theirs at 0psi.
I used DW's pump curves and Radiums real world flow results. At typical pressure and voltage, they both flow very similar, the edge going to the TI, but obviously it has the larger case and consumes more juice.