Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
It is well know that 93 octane fuel makes a huge difference in power in a EB- stock or tuned. It makes quite a bit less difference in a GT. Does fuel grade affect the V-6 engine in stock form or is it designed to run on 87? Anyone have any direct experience or dyno numbers for the V-6- 93 vs 87?
Sponsored

DetroitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Run 93 an all 3 cars. Gas is cheap, car likes it better. End of story.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
More octane, less knock, less stress on the engine, so why not always run 93. I've never understood the whole gas debate between octanes when it's usually only 5-20 cent difference.

OH NO... YOU HAVE TO PAY two more dollars for a tank of better gas!!!!! Better file for bankruptcy.

awmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium PP
More octane, less knock, less stress on the engine, so why not always run 93. I've never understood the whole gas debate between octanes when it's usually only 5-20 cent difference.

OH NO... YOU HAVE TO PAY two more dollars for a tank of better gas!!!!! Better file for bankruptcy.
5-20 cent difference?!?!? I wish. Here in Wisconsin 93 has been as high as 90 cents more per gallon. That said I still plan to run 93 in my Mustang, if it ever arrives. (Tomorrow will be a month since it was built and last I heard it hadn't left Flat Rock yet).

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP

It's a 40-50 cent difference here my friend. Quite significant. At my local Costco, 87 is going for $1.66/gal while 93 is $2.16. :headbonk:

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
5-20 cent difference?!?!? I wish. Here in Wisconsin 93 has been as high as 90 cents more per gallon. That said I still plan to run 93 in my Mustang, if it ever arrives. (Tomorrow will be a month since it was built and last I heard it hadn't left Flat Rock yet).
Ya I over exaggerated slightly for effect, but it's not that bad here where I get gas. From Regular/Premium there is usually around a .40¢ - .60¢ difference. Still not enough to make me consider using a lower grade. If you purchased a car that was built the run optimal advertised power using 93, then the cost of gas should never be a concern of yours or you will never enjoy the car if that's what's going to bother you.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
It's a 40-50 cent difference here my friend. Quite significant. At my local Costco, 87 is going for $1.66/gal while 93 is $2.16. :headbonk:
That's still nothing... You're paying an extra $5 for a sense of comfort knowing you're running a better fuel and your car is making more power to enjoy. If you even have to debate the cost of fuels for a Mustang, you purchased the wrong car.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
*pays $45k sports car. Not willing to pay extra 6 bucks per tank*
You wear out tires faster than gas. Say you get 300 miles a tank, that's $0.02 extra per mile. Tires cost about $1000 all four mounted and they last 10000 miles, that's $0.1 per mile. So your tires costs 5 times more per mile yet you cheap out on gas.
Speaking of Octane, the Coyote is actually pretty sensitive. I had a quarter of tank gas sitting in 80F heat for 2-3 weeks. It slowly degraded to a lower octane gas and when I went WOT a couple of times, the knock made the engine to cut ignition and coated my exhaust tips with black soot, never happened in 3000 miles.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
That's still nothing... You're paying an extra $5 for a sense of comfort knowing you're running a better fuel and your car is making more power to enjoy. If you even have to debate the cost of fuels for a Mustang, you purchased the wrong car.
I drive 18000 miles per year. @ 19 miles/gallon, I'm looking at $473 per year, or an additional $39/month. I won't miss the power. I will miss the $40/month. Can I afford the extra $40/month? Of course I can, that doesn't mean I want to throw it away.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
*pays $45k sports car. Not willing to pay extra 6 bucks per tank*
You wear out tires faster than gas. Say you get 300 miles a tank, that's $0.02 extra per mile. Tires cost about $1000 all four mounted and they last 10000 miles, that's $0.1 per mile. So your tires costs 5 times more per mile yet you cheap out on gas.
Indeed. If I had a choice, I would have went with some all season, 40k+ mile tires. I can guarantee you I'll get 20k miles+ on my summer tires though. I don't visit the drag-strip (anymore), don't do burnouts. I'll drive aggressively time to time (traffic permitting).

S550ilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
...wait wait wait....let me hit PAUSE and go get the popcorn out of the mircowave, I love this episode of MUSTANG6G...This is one where they beat a dead horse....I LOVE THIS ONE!!!!!! :)

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Indeed. If I had a choice, I would have went with some all season, 40k+ mile tires. I can guarantee you I'll get 20k miles+ on my summer tires though. I don't visit the drag-strip (anymore), don't do burnouts. I'll drive aggressively time to time (traffic permitting).
Then why do you even own a GT.:eyebulge:
Sponsored