Sponsored

Fuel Economy Improvement with Engine Tune on 2.3 Turbo?

omelet1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited
Hi,

I'm researching doing an engine tune to maximize the performance on my 2016 Mustang with the 2.3 Ecoboost engine. For people that have done that have you seen any real world improvements to fuel economy and if so how many miles per gallon? A 1-2 mpg improvement would be nice.

In my research I've seen different things so just thought I'd ask on here. Here is an example of an article I've found on this: https://www.onallcylinders.com/2017...de-guide-making-the-most-of-your-2-3l-engine/
Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
If you get a tune, the whole point is to maximize power.
If you are tuning for fuel economy, you can get a switchable tune for long highway hauls.
All depends on your tuner.

More power= more fuel consumption.

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
Hi,

I'm researching doing an engine tune to maximize the performance on my 2016 Mustang with the 2.3 Ecoboost engine. For people that have done that have you seen any real world improvements to fuel economy and if so how many miles per gallon? A 1-2 mpg improvement would be nice.

In my research I've seen different things so just thought I'd ask on here. Here is an example of an article I've found on this: https://www.onallcylinders.com/2017...de-guide-making-the-most-of-your-2-3l-engine/
I think you were the one asking about tuning in the EB thread. You mentioned that you were using 87 octane and would prefer to keep it that way. You mention maximize performance , well first of all 87 is your problem not only for performance but for MPG as well. I think there are some ppl here who have mentioned that MPG goes up slightly with the use of 93... I wouldnt know the difference bc Ive never pumped 87 octane in my car.

If you have made up your mind to get a tune for PERFORMANCE GAINS, MPGs kind of becomes irrelevant. If you wanna make use of your performance you will get worse mpgs. I think you should first start pumping 93 octane , let the car adjust to it for a couple hundred miles, cuz If I remember correctly, youve always pumped 87 and have like high miles...

The difference in performance is significant between 87 and 93..... Id say try the switch first....

OP
OP

omelet1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited
I think you were the one asking about tuning in the EB thread. You mentioned that you were using 87 octane and would prefer to keep it that way. You mention maximize performance , well first of all 87 is your problem not only for performance but for MPG as well. I think there are some ppl here who have mentioned that MPG goes up slightly with the use of 93... I wouldnt know the difference bc Ive never pumped 87 octane in my car.

If you have made up your mind to get a tune for PERFORMANCE GAINS, MPGs kind of becomes irrelevant. If you wanna make use of your performance you will get worse mpgs. I think you should first start pumping 93 octane , let the car adjust to it for a couple hundred miles, cuz If I remember correctly, youve always pumped 87 and have like high miles...

The difference in performance is significant between 87 and 93..... Id say try the switch first....
I'd use 93 octane if I tuned my car. This will be my first tune so still learning but in my research once you do it the ECU can no longer handle 87 octane and that leads to engine knock/pinging which damages the engine.

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
I'd use 93 octane if I tuned my car. This will be my first tune so still learning but in my research once you do it the ECU can no longer handle 87 octane and that leads to engine knock/pinging which damages the engine.
So if youre scared of engine failures due to tuning, stick to stock ECU and pump 93 octane. Just doing that will increase the performance...i dont understand why youd only pump 93 if you tune it.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
If you get a tune, the whole point is to maximize power.
If you are tuning for fuel economy, you can get a switchable tune for long highway hauls.
All depends on your tuner.

More power= more fuel consumption.
Yes, but I've noticed on most turbo 4's that the OEM tune runs rich in a lot of off power situations, so most aftermarket tunes will pick up a few MPG when driving normally and keeping your foot out of it.

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
I hope you know that the 310 CHP and 320 lb/ft are only achieved with 93 octane, on 87 youre making about 275 - 280 CHP and 300 lb/ft..

OP
OP

omelet1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited
I hope you know that the 310 CHP and 320 lb/ft are only achieved with 93 octane, on 87 youre making about 275 - 280 CHP and 300 lb/ft..
Yes, I know that. If I do a tune I'm going to use 93 octane.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I've been using the Cobb tuner for about 3 years now. It has different modes for performance or economy, and switching from one mode to another only takes a couple of seconds and a few pushes of the cruise control buttons, you don't even need to stop the car. Even in economy mode, it feels more responsive and fun than the stock tune. I leave it in economy about 99% of the time, only switch to a performance mode if I want to time a 0-60 run. 87 octane is a no-go; you can tune it for either 91 or 93 octane.

OP
OP

omelet1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited
I've been using the Cobb tuner for about 3 years now. It has different modes for performance or economy, and switching from one mode to another only takes a couple of seconds and a few pushes of the cruise control buttons, you don't even need to stop the car. Even in economy mode, it feels more responsive and fun than the stock tune. I leave it in economy about 99% of the time, only switch to a performance mode if I want to time a 0-60 run. 87 octane is a no-go; you can tune it for either 91 or 93 octane.
Good to know since the Cobb tuners are one of ones I’ve seen in my research. After installing it did you see any changes to your fuel economy?

Sponsored

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
Maybe 1 or 2 mpg, but the new tune makes it a lot more fun to mash the go pedal, so I find it harder to drive it for good mileage.

OP
OP

omelet1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited
Maybe 1 or 2 mpg, but the new tune makes it a lot more fun to mash the go pedal, so I find it harder to drive it for good mileage.
Question, where do you physically put the tuner?

Still debating on doing this and am looking at various options. The Ford Performance Tune seems to be a good first time tune since I've never done this before and am new to modding and such.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
Question, where do you physically put the tuner?
The tuner doesn't have to stay in the car. After you flash it, you can leave it in the glove box or in the house and it will still work; you can even choose the different performance vs economy settings without it. You only have to have it hooked up if you want to monitor parameters that aren't on your dashboard, or if you're logging performance for a custom tune.

That said, you can mount it just about anywhere in the car. Cobb supplies a mount that sticks wherever you want to put it. I put mine to the right of the steering wheel, mounted down low so it won't distract me. The cord is long enough you can leave it plugged in and put it in the glove box.
Sponsored